Football: “WHAT THE F*CK WAS THAT”?

AncalagonTheBlack

44 minutes ago, Notone said:

First most teams lack Liverpool's offensive power. Even if teams likesay Stoke or Newcastle tried emulate Liverpool, they still wouldn't have their forward line.

Yeah. Plus the thing about playing that way against City is that if you get the first digs in, you can rattle them, sure, but if they do, you're in for a punting. Ask Watford, who are basically Liverpool lite and managed to lose 6-0 at home earlier in the season despite not really playing that badly.

The only not-top-6 side I can seriously see having a chance approaching the game that way are Leicester (assuming they keep Mahrez).

Missed the live game and just saw the highlights.What a crazy game!!!:D Without VVD,we were back again to the Jekyll n Hyde defense FFS.And my god,Karius seems worse than Mignolet!! I never saw him play in the Bundesliga but was he like this or is he just low on confidence/game time?

In the end ,i'm really happy for the 3 points against the best side in the league.Even better with both Arsenal and Chelsea dropping points.

Although the last 3-4 minutes were really nervy, Liverpool had outplayed City for most of the game and created the majority of chances.  Lovren especially (went walk-about for Silva’s goal, stood like a mannequin for Gundogan’s) and Matip were at fault for those but the major catalyst was the withdrawal of Can — who was struggling with an illness — who had shielded the defence from City midfielders running with the ball into our box.  Milner was OK as a sub but doesn’t position himself like #6.  

Andy Robertson was great today, even if he was adjacent to their two late goals.  Joe Gomez is a wonderful player for 88 minutes each game — I’m willing to be patient with a 20yr old who still has fewer than 30 PL appearances; he’ll learn how to spot those dangers.  

Gini has had a very poor season but I thought he did very well today.  He still dithered a few times and wasted attacking opportunities or turned over the ball, but he was a much bigger presence than most other games lately. 

Overall the 4-3 shoreline flattered City a bit, reflecting just how dangerous they are and how well drilled they are about finishing strong, and how inevitable it was for Liverpool to concede some initiative late on with a 4-1 lead and a huge amount of energy spent. 

Game of the season there.

11 hours ago, polishgenius said:

That's Stuart Atwell standard reffing there.

I mean, the ref should definitely face charges for the kick at the player. But he sends him off for a second yellow, which means it was not for the collision. If the ref thought the contact had been deliberate, it would've been a straight red. So he's almost certainly booked the player for something the player said afterward. Now, I might have said something unwise too, if the ref had kicked me, but just the same, the bizarre bit of the incident isn't the sending off, it's the kick. 

43 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Not as surprising as Giggs getting the Wales job though.

That's not really that surprising, though. Yes, he has zero managerial experience, but neither did Mark Hughes when they appointed him. I think the one thing people are hung up on is this whole thing about Giggs skipping friendly matches when he played for Wales.

I'm not sure I'd describe either appointment as 'surprising': 'uninspiring' would be more the word. The Lambert appointment reads like Stoke thinking 'experienced British managers are a thing at the moment, who's available?' whereas the Giggs appointment feels like 'we kind of have to give him a shot'. 

5 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

That's not really that surprising, though. Yes, he has zero managerial experience, but neither did Mark Hughes when they appointed him. I think the one thing people are hung up on is this whole thing about Giggs skipping friendly matches when he player for Wales.

If they were willing to go with someone with no management experience then Craig Bellamy should have gotten the job. At least his commitment to the national team was never in question, unlike Giggs. In addition, Wales are not a star studded side apart from Bale and rely heavily on team unity. It remains to be seen whether Giggs can win over the dressing room. There is already talk that major players like Bale and Ramsay were in favour of Bellamy getting the nod. This is why I find the appointment to be very surprising - basically Giggs is going to have next to zero fan goodwill and has to hit the ground running otherwise he will find himself under severe pressure very quickly.

18 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Rumours picking up that Arsenal are in for Aubameyang. Given his shitty behaviour, Dortmund might be quite happy to be rid of him.

I doubt this happens. It's a rumor from one spanish guy with a track record of being wrong based on likely unconnected actions. 

All in all, don't really care who we bring in. Nothing will change result wise until we have a change in philosophy at the top.

ETA: Now Matt Law is talking about Aubameyang to Arsenal. 

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

I doubt this happens. It's a rumor from one spanish guy with a track record of being wrong based on likely unconnected actions. 

All in all, don't really care who we bring in. Nothing will change result wise until we have a change in philosophy at the top.

ETA: Now Matt Law is talking about Aubameyang to Arsenal. 

Don't know about this spanish guy. The rumours I saw were being reported by Bild and Lee Price.

4 minutes ago, Mexal said:

It was Guillem Balague. Bild and others were quoting him.

Do you not think Balague is reliable? I read his Q&As on a Monday and Friday on Sky Sports and he’s usually in the know, especially when it comes to La Liga related affairs. I know neither Dortmund nor Arsenal are La Liga related, but Balague doesn’t usually spout nonsense on his columns on Sky.

1 minute ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Do you not think Balague is reliable? I read his Q&As on a Monday and Friday on Sky Sports and he’s usually in the know, especially when it comes to La Liga related affairs. I know neither Dortmund nor Arsenal are La Liga related, but Balague doesn’t usually spout nonsense on his columns on Sky.

Nah, I don't, especially for non La Liga stuff. He's been wrong a lot on Arsenal in the past.

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Nah, I don't, especially for non La Liga stuff. He's been wrong a lot on Arsenal in the past.

I find Aubameyang to Arsenal an odd one anyway. He’s a bit of a character; seems to rub his managers up the wrong way by doing things like turning up late to team meetings etc. That kind of player doesn’t strike me as someone that would appeal to Wenger. Unless this is the start of planning for life after Wenger, and has something to do with the Sven Mislintat guy.

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

It was Guillem Balague. Bild and others were quoting him.

Neither the Bild article I saw nor Lee Price quoted Balague. Bild is a respectable newspaper in Germany and are usually reliable when it comes to transfers involving German clubs. Maybe Sport Bild, which is a shitty source, were the ones who quoted a hack like Balague.

Just now, JordanJH1993 said:

He is fucking useless. If Balague was a journalist in England, he'd work for The Sun.

Archived