Football: “WHAT THE F*CK WAS THAT”?

AncalagonTheBlack

I’m really disappointed by the Sanchez, Mkhi, Auba development because it strengthens two of our competitors.  I wasn’t too worried about Sánchez at City because they’re already far ahead, but this will make it harder to catch United, plus it gives Arsenal an outside chance of improving; they needed some catalyst to shake things up.  I’ll just have to hope that Mourinho stifles another attacking player and Wenger undermines his great attackers with a weak defense and midfield.  

Paying over the odds for an aging quick fix player is such a Mourinho move but Sánchez will strengthen any attack in the PL. 

I agree that RM are making early overtures about off-loading BBC, although I doubt Ronaldo will find any takers at the wages he wants, unless he’s willing to go to China.  And I don’t see RM getting huge transfer fees for the three of them.  If RM are able to jettison BBC, then I doubt Hazard is the only galactico replacement they have in mind.  Neymar must be unaffordable.  Icardi seems more likely than Neymar.  I hope Salah doesn’t make it onto the list.  I expect Kane would and Pogba might.  You’d think they would want players who complement Isco and Asensio, while offering huge marketing potential.

9 hours ago, Mexal said:

Still doesn't fix our defensive issues and unless Arsenal learns to play a whole lot faster, it won't really matter all that much. They are slow as molasses and with 85% of the teams sitting back, there isn't a ton of space for players like Auba/Laca to get behind. I still think they'll suck.

This will depend an awful lot on Mkhitaryan. If he hits the ground running, he'll solve quite a lot of your problems, but he's obviously a massively inconsistent player and you can't depend on him.

But yeah, overall Arsenal are now at the stage where they need an enormous rebuild. For a long time under Wenger it's been a frustrating thing where it felt like you only needed one or two key players to really compete and they just never came together in time so when you got them, the next key player had aged or left, but now even if Mkhi and Aubameyang do come in you probably still need, at least, two new CBs (at least one urgently), a defensive midfielder, a link-man/creative midfielder Santi-style, and ideally another creative/no10. Basically a whole new spine. It's not gonna be easy.

16 hours ago, Sandokan I Ironborn said:

Should Arsenal manage to sell Giroud and sign Aubameyang, it would not be a winter market as bad as some Arsenal fans probably think. The Mkhi-Aubam pair was quality back in BVB.

Heck, I'd even rather have an in-form Mkhi-Aubam pair than a single Sanchez in my team. But of course I'm still happy with Sanchez joining us lol (especially considering he was a Pep target in the first place)

Mkhi-Auba has the potential to be good but a lot of that depends on Mkhi who is very inconsistent, When he's good, he's very good but he often disappears in games and becomes a liability. He seems to me to be a very mentally fragile player which should be a worry for Arsenal given the negativity surrounding the club.

12 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I’ll just have to hope that Mourinho stifles another attacking player

This is a bit of an unfair criticism based solely on setup in big games away from home. While that mindset has been very disappointing, Mourinho has actually allowed players attacking freedom in the vast majority of games. The big problem for United this season was Pogba missing most of our games and not having a backup even remotely capable of doing what he does. Without him our transition play, link up and creativity takes a massive nosedive. CM is an area we desperately need to reinforce.

Paying over the odds for an aging quick fix player is such a Mourinho move but Sánchez will strengthen any attack in the PL. 

The wages are crazy but I think United would be happy at negotiating this down from £35m + Mkhi to a straight swap with no transfer fee.

I agree that RM are making early overtures about off-loading BBC, although I doubt Ronaldo will find any takers at the wages he wants, unless he’s willing to go to China.  And I don’t see RM getting huge transfer fees for the three of them.  If RM are able to jettison BBC, then I doubt Hazard is the only galactico replacement they have in mind.  Neymar must be unaffordable.  Icardi seems more likely than Neymar.  I hope Salah doesn’t make it onto the list.  I expect Kane would and Pogba might.  You’d think they would want players who complement Isco and Asensio, while offering huge marketing potential.

Real Madrid would also need to curb their expectations if they plan on offloading BBC - any of the clubs capable of meeting the wage demands would not pay a big transfer fee for two players in decline and one who is perpetually injured. BBC would probably have to accept a pay cut too. Not sure about big midfield signings though - Kroos is only 28, Casemiro turning 26, Isco plays at CAM and can fill the #8 role as well and they still have young, talented players like Kovačić, Ceballos and Llorente. I don't think Real will go full galactico mode as Perez's second stint has seen a major shit in his transfer policy - he prefers snapping up the young talent now and has also tightened up the wage structure.

Been expected for so long that it does not rankle too much. I don't blame him for wanting to go, but maintaining the pretense for so long that he was considering renewing when everyone knew it was a lie seems unnecessary. Though nowhere near as good a player, Meyer will be worse if he leaves given all the club has done for him. No doubt he would settle straight back into bad habits as soon as he left Tedesco and returned to attacking midfield.

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

. I don't think Real will go full galactico mode as Perez's second stint has seen a major shit in his transfer policy - he prefers snapping up the young talent now and has also tightened up the wage structure.

The problem is that these young talents don't seem to be given much game time. The three you mentioned have only played a few games in the league each; it's the same for Theo Hernadez, too. Real Madrid have taken to this new policy of preferring to sign young players rather than Galaticos, but it has meant that their first XI today is not much different that the first XI of the team that won the CL in 13/14 under Ancelotti. They've had brilliant success together, but what is the shelf life of a certain squad of players? Usually four or five years, maybe? This season, at least in the league, it looks like this team is coming to the end. It would not surprise me if Perez went full Galatico mode and splashed out on a new keeper and three new forwards - if he can get rid of the BBC.

2 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

The problem is that these young talents don't seem to be given much game time. The three you mentioned have only played a few games in the league each; it's the same for Theo Hernadez, too. Real Madrid have taken to this new policy of preferring to sign young players rather than Galaticos, but it has meant that their first XI today is not much different that the first XI of the team that won the CL in 13/14 under Ancelotti. They've had brilliant success together, but what is the shelf life of a certain squad of players? Usually four or five years, maybe? This season, at least in the league, it looks like this team is coming to the end. It would not surprise me if Perez went full Galatico mode and splashed out on a new keeper and three new forwards - if he can get rid of the BBC.

Point I was making is that Real Madrid don't need big signings in midfield. Their first choice midfield is top class and the likes of Kovačić, Ceballos and Llorente are quality backup options. I expect a bid will be made for Icardi and possibly Hazard. Of course they need to offload two-thirds of BBC. According to Marca, Kepa from Bilbao is the GK target but it's not as though Navas has been crap. He's been very good and GK is not an area that is in urgent need of upgrading; CB should be a much higher priority. I'm not expecting a 'galactico era' type reckless spending like it was during Perez's first stint.

And in a surprise to no-one, Raiola is proving very difficult to deal with once again. All reports from Stones, Di Marzio and Ornstein suggest that an agreement has been reached between United and Arsenal and United and Sanchez. Seems to me that Raiola is deliberately delaying things to make this transfer be about him and his client. He did say a few days ago that Sanchez is part of the Mkhi deal and not the other way around. In saying that, Raiola is great at looking out for the best interests of his clients and this deal falling apart isn't in the best interests of Mkhi so I expect this transfer to go through just as soon as Raiola has decided that he has postured enough.

24 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Point I was making is that Real Madrid don't need big signings in midfield. Their first choice midfield is top class and the likes of Kovačić, Ceballos and Llorente are quality backup options. I expect a bid will be made for Icardi and possibly Hazard. Of course they need to offload two-thirds of BBC. According to Marca, Kepa from Bilbao is the GK target but it's not as though Navas has been crap. He's been very good and GK is not an area that is in urgent need of upgrading; CB should be a much higher priority. I'm not expecting a 'galactico era' type reckless spending like it was during Perez's first stint.

I get you now - and I agree.

I am not sure, though, that signing Kepa would stop them going for Courtois. If Real Madrid feel like Courtois is wanting to make the move - which it is pretty clear he is - I don't think they'd turn away from it, even after bringing Kepa in. After all, Kepa is still relatively young. It would make sense for Real Madrid to ship out Casilla and Navas and replace them with Kepa and Coutois, with Courtois first choice and Kepa playing in cup games, CL group stage matches and occasional league games, to build his experience.

Just now, JordanJH1993 said:

I get you now - and I agree.

I am not sure, though, that signing Kepa would stop them going for Courtois. If Real Madrid feel like Courtois is wanting to make the move - which it is pretty clear he is - I don't think they'd turn away from it, even after bringing Kepa in. After all, Kepa is still relatively young. It would make sense for Real Madrid to ship out Casilla and Navas and replace them with Kepa and Coutois, with Courtois first choice and Kepa playing in cup games, CL group stage matches and occasional league games, to build his experience.

I think it would depend on Chelsea's asking price. Afterall Perez was very reluctant to offer big money for DDG - iirc, he even said a few months ago that he would not spend more than 40 mil for a GK (of course that could change) and the hierarchy appear to be happy with Navas. I see that Courtois' contract runs out in 2019 - Real's need at GK isn't urgent so they can afford to wait and sign him on a free transfer.

I see Robin van Persie is heading back to Feyenoord on a free transfer. I’m surprised Chelsea didn’t go in for him!

On a serious note, someone like him wouldn’t have been a bad option. A sharp finisher, on a short term contract, who knows the league and has previously been a regular scorer in it. As I’ve said, we need an alternative to Morata, and someone of RVP’s style fits that mould. That’s why I would like to see them go for Sturridge, someone who, at his best, can score from anywhere inside the box.

1 hour ago, JordanJH1993 said:

That’s why I would like to see them go for Sturridge, someone who, at his best, can score from anywhere inside the box.

I've read that Liverpool would want 30 million for Sturridge. I'm not sure if Chelsea would pay that as it looks like they are looking for someone on the cheap.

1 hour ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I see Robin van Persie is heading back to Feyenoord on a free transfer. I’m surprised Chelsea didn’t go in for him!

On a serious note, someone like him wouldn’t have been a bad option. A sharp finisher, on a short term contract, who knows the league and has previously been a regular scorer in it. As I’ve said, we need an alternative to Morata, and someone of RVP’s style fits that mould. That’s why I would like to see them go for Sturridge, someone who, at his best, can score from anywhere inside the box.

You should go for Javier Hernandez.

44 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I've read that Liverpool would want 30 million for Sturridge. I'm not sure if Chelsea would pay that as it looks like they are looking for someone on the cheap.

Yeah, I can’t see Chelsea forking that kind of money out for him. I’ve seen Di Marzio has linked us to a Batshuayi plus €50m deal for Roma pair Džeko and Emerson, which I would be very happy with, but is Di Marzio a reliable source? 

39 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

You should go for Javier Hernandez.

That was a transfer I wanted to happen in the summer, but his form this season for West Ham has made him a bit less appealing. 

Just now, JordanJH1993 said:

Yeah, I can’t see Chelsea forking that kind of money out for him. I’ve seen Di Marzio has linked us to a Batshuayi plus €50m deal for Roma pair Džeko and Emerson, which I would be very happy with, but is Di Marzio a reliable source?

Di Marzio and Romano are very good when it comes to Serie A clubs and it appears that they have a very reliable source or sources of information when it comes to United - first to report that United were preparing a bid for Sanchez days before any of the English media picked it up, first to report Zlatan, Mkhi, Pogba and Bailly as well. Orders of magnitude better than their counterparts at Sky UK. If Di Marzio and/or Romano are reporting that then you can be sure that there has been contact and it's not some made up clickbait crap.

Hernandez has been played out of position pretty much every time he has played for west ham so wouldnt take that as too much evidence of him being a bad choice. He has played wide instead of up front most of the time and he is definately the sort of guy that needs to be getting the ball in the box not on a wing.

Looks like Chelsea are now close to completing deals for Dzeko and Emerson. Reported fee €50m + €10m in bonuses + Batshuayi on loan for both Dzeko and Emerson.

ETA. Mourinho has confirmed that Carrick will retire at the end of the season and that he's accepted the clubs offer to take up a 1st team coaching role.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Looks like Chelsea are now close to completing deals for Dzeko and Emerson. Reported fee €50m + €10m in bonuses + Batshuayi on loan for both Dzeko and Emerson.

It would be excellent business, if it happens. Džeko is a player I’ve always liked, and I was disappointed Chelsea didn’t try to sign him when Man City were letting him go.

What a few days ago looked like being a horrendous window for Chelsea might actually turn out good. The disappointing part is that, again, it is purely reactive. If we end of with Džeko and Emerson it will just paper over the clear cracks in our bizzare transfer policy. 

Archived