AncalagonTheBlack

Football: “WHAT THE F*CK WAS THAT”?

310 posts in this topic

I agree.  Sánchez would be good for Utd but what’s in it for him?  He’s good at tackling and tracking back but, even so, unlikely to enjoy the restrictive tactics of Mourinho.  City are more likely to offer him trophies and CL games, play with several other South Americans in a good attacking style, lots of chances to score, and he’d probably get to play as a false 9 in place of Aguero.  If he joins them now, he only has to make 5 appearances (the threshold was lowered) to get a guaranteed winner’s medal this season, and possibly get a good shot at a CL win too.  The only downside at City is he might not be an automatic starter all the time, but I would bet that over 2-3 years, Sanchez will be a better fit than Aguero and a more consistent scorer than Sterling.

In the last few years Mkhitaryan, Depay, DiMaria, Martial and Schweinsteiger have all bombed at United, while Lukaku, Pogba and Mata are iffy compared to pre-Utd form (Lukaku even getting booed lately), and even golden boy Rashford has regressed.  Only Zlatan and Lingard look like successes so far.  If you were one of the top attacking players who has already played for top teams, with one last big contract ahead of you to win some more trophies, would you really want to take a chance that Utd suddenly escapes this rut?

City are the surer bet from a footballing success point of view, but word on the grapevine is that United are offering him more money/wages.

From an Arsenal point of view I just hope we sell him now and recoup some of the money. It doesn't matter that we strengthen a rival since City are going to win the league anyway, although arguably we could be in a top-four fight with United. It's also clear that Sanchez is not particularly motivated to play well for Arsenal anymore, so keeping him for the second half of the season doesn't serve that much of a purpose. We were always going to have to cope without him eventually, this just accelerates it a little more.

So whatever happens, I hope we just sell him soon.

If Alexis ends up at Man United this window, it really will show just how much he wants to get out of Arsenal.

The trophy count for Arsenal and Man United is the exact same since Sir Alex Ferguson left, and it looks like this will be the first year since he left that Man United will finish higher than Arsenal in the league. 

I do feel that Man United’s project looks slightly more appealing than Arsenal’s right now, but that could well change if Arsenal have a terrible season this year, which leads to the early termination of Wenger’s contract and a new manager coming in. I’ve always felt that the opposite would happen Arsenal when Wenger leaves than happened Man U when Ferguson left.

It looks like Man U are prepared to offer him even more money than Man City, to try intice him into coming. Remember, though, it was reported last season that Alexis was prepared to stay at Arsenal only if they offered him £400K a week. A stance like that shows to me that it’s not actually about the money for Alexis, but the only way Arsenal could make him stay would be if they offered him an astronomical weekly wage. I’d say Man U will have to aim very high with their numbers if they are to make him choose them over Man City.

7 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

while Lukaku, Pogba and Mata are iffy compared to pre-Utd form (Lukaku even getting booed lately), and even golden boy Rashford has regressed.  Only Zlatan and Lingard look like successes so far.

Apart from a couple of average games after his suspension, a problem seemingly since fixed when Mourinho started pushing him a bit further forward again, Pogba's been brilliant for us this season. And Martial hasn't really bombed, he just hasn't lived up to the high expectations set by his initial performances. He's fine.
Zlatan, on the other hand, has been vastly overrated.
Lukaku's in a weird place where he's on bad form while simultaneously improving as a player. Like, he does far more than he did at the start, in terms of team work and movement and finding passes and things. Just not working out.

But yeah, overall I agree that Jose is totally shit at improving players and has to go before it all comes crashing down. Even before Jose there were issues but it wasn't systematic.

I'd rather we not pay £400k/week in wages. If Sanchez is demanding that sort of money then we should move on from him - he's a wonderful player but 29y/o and with a lot of miles on him. That decline might be hitting sooner rather than later. Plus, Sanchez clearly prefers cutting in off the left so this means less game time for Martial and Rashford while our right side remains weak. Yeah, I know he played on the right once upon a time in his career but that has not been the case for years either at club or international level.

£35m fee + a reported £5m agent fee + astronomical wages + possibly Mkhi included as well. The more I think about it, the less keen I am on this transfer. Really we should be offering big money for Mahrez who is quality as well and plays in a position we actually desperately need to strengthen.

Edited by Consigliere

It may be that he’s willing to accept less than £400k to go to Man United. That’s what it was going to take him to stay at Arsenal, but if he thinks Man United are going in a better direction than Arsenal are, he’d probably be wanting somewhere between £250k-£300k, one would assume.

When you think of it, since he came to England - apart from this season - he’s probably been in the top five performers in his time in the PL. At Arsenal, he’s rumoured to be on around £130k a week, which is a low wage for such a good player. At Man United and Man City, there are several players earning a lot more than him that haven’t even nearly been as good as he has since he came in 2014. 

In that sense, he’s far from a mercenary. He could have just accepted a new contract to get his relative wage to then try force through a transfer anyway, as many players in the Premier League have. Instead he’s accepted having a lower relative wage than he should have based on his performances, in order to get out of Arsenal on his own terms. For that, you have to respect him - and Mesut Özil, too.

I’ve a feeling Thibaut Courtois and Eden Hazard will be doing the exact same thing to Chelsea, though.

Leicester are absolutely tearing into Chelsea so far. Really lucky not to be at least 1-0 down, the hosts.

Chelsea are turning the ball over at an unbelievable rate right now. Especially from Hazard. Cahill is having a mess of a time trying to keep up with Vardy. 

ETA: And on cue, Cahill goes down with a hammy. 

Edited by l2 0 5 5

No idea how it's still 0-0. Leicester will be kicking themselves if they don't win this. Chelsea have had the odd chance and Will.i.an and Pedro coming on has helped their energy a bit but Leicester have had so many chances.

Another defeat for Real Madrid. Zidane has been very successful but he is on thin ice now at a club not known for being patient with managers. Pretty embarrassing situation that Real find themselves in - a side that seemed poised to dominate are now in shambles. Zidane doesn't seem to have any answers and looks to be tactically inept.

Yeah not sure if Zidane will even make it to the PSG tie but I’d bet he’ll be sacked if they get knocked out by them.

Wonder who they would go with to replace Zidane. I think they would be best off keeping him as their requirements are so niche - someone with enough political capital to make moderately pragmatic moves like playing a holding midfielder, moderately tactically competent but without any desire to introduce tactical ideas of their own. With Ronaldo coming towards the end of his career, anyone of lesser stature than Zidane will find managing the transition impossible.

Real Madrid would be right up Antonio Conte’s street. A club well known for giving the manager next to no say in club affairs such as signings. He’d sign up oblivious to this fact, just as he was when he came to Chelsea - a club run much the same way as Real Madrid - then complain about the austerity programme the club runs at every opportunity.

I think Conte might be heading to PSG. Just get the feeling that PSG feel they can do better than Emery with a manager who is more of a household name. If PSG don't win the CL then I think Emery is out and Conte would be very happy to walk away from Chelsea.

I suspect that Pochettino would be near the top of the list should Zidane get the sack. I think Zidane is much more a motivator than tactician. Now that his motivation isn't working, he looks clueless. Very often he waits too long before making substitutions and then subs off the wrong players. He persists with his 4-2-3-1 when Real Madrid have looked much better when they've played a 4-3-3 and his attacking approach is nothing more than 'go wide and lump in a cross'.

Real Madrid failing to make the champions league next year would make this whole season worthwhile. 

21 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Real Madrid failing to make the champions league next year would make this whole season worthwhile. 

I like how you think. 

my kitchen is mostly Hispanic with a equal number of barca and Madrid fans. 

it would be interesting to see how things at work shape up under such a ominous event of Madrid winning nothing and not in the cl.

1 minute ago, MercurialCannibal said:

I like how you think. 

my kitchen is mostly Hispanic with a equal number of barca and Madrid fans. 

it would be interesting to see how things at work shape up under such a ominous event of Madrid winning nothing and not in the cl.

I have to take my pleasures where I can get them. We can't even beat Swansea at home. 

28 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I have to take my pleasures where I can get them. We can't even beat Swansea at home. 

fucking Dwight Gayle was awful.  dude couldn't finish at all.  we should have been up 2 or 3 at the half.