Football: “WHAT THE F*CK WAS THAT”?

AncalagonTheBlack

Van Dijk got a goal, which was nice, and he’s certainly big and fast as advertised.

Not a great performance overall from Liverpool though. Lallana looks very rusty, which isn’t ideal if the plan is to sell Coutinho and have Lallana take over as the attacking midfielder.

We'd be fucked without Lingard. I knew we would struggle when I saw Mkhi and Rashford starting. Mkhi's form is so bad that he'd struggle to get into a Championship side atm and Rashford's performances have dropped off significantly as well - my criticism of him is the same as it used to be for Lingard: he can do nothing else but run around a lot. Hopefully one (preferably both) of them can find some form very soon.

Just now, Consigliere said:

Rashford's performances have dropped off significantly as well - my criticism of him is the same as it used to be for Lingard: he can do nothing else but run around a lot.

In fairness, he looked a bit better in the overall game today than he has recently, but his final product was dire.

Mkhitaryan's just fallen apart. He's leaving.

Just now, polishgenius said:

In fairness, he looked a bit better in the overall game today than he has recently, but his final product was dire.

Mkhitaryan's just fallen apart. He's leaving.

Yeah, I think Rashford will get over this poor patch - at least he puts in some effort. Mkhi, otoh, looks like he is a very mentally fragile player. The first half decent offer we get, we should take it and cut our losses. No point hanging on to a flop who has been playing like he doesn't even give a fuck.

5 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I'm still not that keen on Lingard. I think he's similar to Can in that he's super confident, so he'll try stuff and occasionally do amazing things and score wonder goals, but he has lots of flaws too, and they'll win out over time.

(Which is not to say I'm comparing the two players at all, just their mentalities.)

The polar opposite of Wijnaldum!

Rashford's had bad patches before, so I'm not that worried he won't recover, although I am worried it's gonna be a feature of his game through his career that he has these dry spells. That's not unusual for strikers though. Just need to have the depth.

The creative side of it is much more of a worry. We genuinely have been saved in this recent run by Lingard - he's literally scored half our goals since the end of November.

11 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I think he's similar to Can in that he's super confident, so he'll try stuff and occasionally do amazing things and score wonder goals, but he has lots of flaws too, and they'll win out over time.

I don't think Lingard is actually that confident all of the time. But in any case, the key difference between him and Can (aside from position of course) is that Lingard has a really good attitude and I'm not sure that Can does.

Lingard's movement was always great; it was his finishing that was erratic to say the least. He's added goals to his game over the last month which has made him a far more dangerous player. Whether that lasts remains to be seen. But, yeah, I do think we still need an upgrade at #10 and especially RM/RW. Very little comes down our right side which makes us predictable since almost all of our attacks has to come down our left.

At least we tried more than when we played 1-1. I’ll take that. 

Also, Bolasie is a wonderful player to watch. There’s really no telling what he’ll do. However, to have said it before I come on here and complain, I’m sure his desicion making will make me tear my hair out at times.

Otherwise? DCL worked hard. Gylfi’s better through the middle. Holgate needs a cooler head, he played great most of the night, but lost his head in the penalty incident and didn’t regain control until well after having stupidly pushed Firmino. Lookman did well enough when he came on, and Kenny is still good. Pickford with one mistake, but he came for the ball, at least. 

The kids are ok. Let’s hope they get better.

12 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

But, yeah, I do think we still need an upgrade at #10 and especially RM/RW. Very little comes down our right side which makes us predictable since almost all of our attacks has to come down our left.

Valencia being out is a big miss on the right hand side. Man United’s wingers on both sides offer no width as they all cut inside, but with Lindelof, a centre back playing right back, they have no natural attacking threat on that side.

I know Man United have been linked with left backs like Danny Rose, but maybe it’s a new right back they need even more. Valencia isn’t getting any younger and Darmian clearly isn’t trusted. In the meantime, maybe if Shaw can continue playing, Young can start playing at RB, which would be good cover for Valencia, but certainly not a long term plan.

11 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

But, yeah, I do think we still need an upgrade at #10 and especially RM/RW.

As long as Lingard is on this form at number 10 it'd be madness to replace him or shunt him wide (although it's a stretch to imagine that this is how good Lingard is going to be from here on out, obviously- I've been one of his bigger supporters for some time but even I'd struggle to come to terms with Jesse Lingard, Ballon d'Or winner) but it does mean we even more urgently need some creative imagination on the wings, since although Lingard is a decent passer he's not really a creative player as such.

One thing to add though: Shaw's finally looking like something of his earlier self, having been giving a decent run of games. And he's helping that attack down the left because he's both a really good crosser and has a sneaky little through-pass in him.

3 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Valencia being out is a big miss on the right hand side. Man United’s wingers on both sides offer no width as they all cut inside, but with Lindelof, a centre back playing right back, they have no natural attacking threat on that side.

I know Man United have been linked with left backs like Danny Rose, but maybe it’s a new right back they need even more. Valencia isn’t getting any younger and Darmian clearly isn’t trusted. In the meantime, maybe if Shaw can continue playing, Young can start playing at RB, which would be good cover for Valencia, but certainly not a long term plan.

Our fullback situation does need attending to sooner rather than later. I don't think we are that much better with Valencia at RB though. Sure, he gets up and down the line much better than Lindelof or Darmian but he isn't a creative player at all and his crossing attempts are more hit and hope than anything else. We are crying out for a RM/RW.

15 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

One thing to add though: Shaw's finally looking like something of his earlier self, having been giving a decent run of games. And he's helping that attack down the left because he's both a really good crosser and has a sneaky little through-pass in him.

Shaw's return has been a bright spot. Great to have a left footer at LB. He does play clever balls and consistently looks to run in behind as well. Has certainly made our left side more dangerous while at the same time highlighting just how mediocre our right side is.

On 4.1.2018 at 11:18 PM, polishgenius said:

I know swap deals are a Football Manager fantasy that basically never happen in real life, but we should totally negotiate a Mikhi-for-Pulisic swap.

I doubt Dortmund will go for it. Besides, Watzke said something to the extent, that Mkhitaryan did not leave on the best terms with Dortmund and burned quite a few bridges behind him. I know there's this rumour they are interested in getting him back, but I doubt Pulisic would be a part of the deal in any shape or form. The only reason they might be in the market for Mkhitaryan is Schürrle. He wants to leave (West Ham is a rumour) as he has not really made an impact there and wants more playing time with regards to the WC and his international career in general. So what would be the benefit for Dortmund in such a trade?

14 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Not a great performance overall from Liverpool though. Lallana looks very rusty, which isn’t ideal if the plan is to sell Coutinho and have Lallana take over as the attacking midfielder.

That would be madness. No offense to Lallana, but he lacks Coutinho's speed. And I mean not just his pace, but also the decission making. And that's not just rustyness, Lallana is a very good player in his own right, he just doesn't offer what Coutinho does.

While I agree, that the Liverpool performance was a bit sluggish compared to the usual Liverpool games (well at least the ones I saw), it was still a solid performance in the absence of Coutinho and Salah. And considering it was at the end of this very dense schedule, it wasn't really that bad.

13 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Pickford with one mistake, but he came for the ball, at least. 

Well, he didn't look to good on the other corner neither (really indecissive, whether he should go out and try to punch the ball away, and then moved back to his goal line), when Gomes seemed somewhat surprised the way found his way too him. But on the other hand nice save against Robertson (?).

Atleti 1-0 up against Getafe and Costa already stirring shit up. He's a real bastard but one I'm sure most teams would love to have playing for them.

ETA. Classic Costa. Riling up the opposition, booked for an elbow, scores a goal and receives a second yellow for excessive celebration.

Klopp doesn’t seem to really give a shit about who wears it. Just gives it to the longest serving player on the pitch (when it’s not Hendo or Milner). 

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Classic Costa. Riling up the opposition, booked for an elbow, scores a goal and receives a second yellow for excessive celebration.

:lol: beautiful 

2 hours ago, Notone said:

Well, he didn't look to good on the other corner neither (really indecissive, whether he should go out and try to punch the ball away, and then moved back to his goal line), when Gomes seemed somewhat surprised the way found his way too him. But on the other hand nice save against Robertson (?).

True, had forgotten that corner. I really don’t know why he started coming for it, from the TV images it was obvious he’d never reach it. Sort of well done there to retreat (though he shouldn’t have come out at all), but the second one - the goal - was just bad.

That was a soft penalty for Liverpool, although less so than the one given to Everton just a couple of weeks ago.  Aside from VVD’s dream debut, Robertson and Gomez were really good again.  No surprise that our attack was sluggish without Coutinho or Salah but you’d have to expect that Lallana and Sane will improve their form at some point.  Everton did a decent job of concentrating on Firmino to stifle us. 

The FA is investigating Holgate’s accusation against Firmino.  Considering the referee was right between them, I hope it’s resolved quickly.  I still don’t know how Holgate didn’t get at least a yellow for that dangerous shove on Firmino, nor how Rooney avoided a second yellow.  The typical shit-house clogging is back. 

Archived