What if: Arryn independence

UFT

1 hour ago, UFT said:

what if instead of simply rebelling against king aerys, jon renounced the iron throne and crowned himself once again king arryn of the mountain and vale?

If he did that, it would put Eddard and Robert in the uncomfortable position of crowning themselves Kings too. So then who takes command?

And what would everyone else say? The Andals have been ruled by the Targaryens for generations, and no Jon and maybe two other men will call themselves king? That’s a level of treason unseen since the Laughing Storm. If the vassals were divided before, they’d surely be even more divided if rival kingship is in question.

And what happens if they win? Certainly the Iron islands would gleefully support independence but they can’t be relied on as allies since they’d raid the North at the drop of a hat. Dorne would normally be fine with it but they have personal ties to the Targaryens now. Tywin might be interested in being king of the Rock, but I doubt it. I think he’s spent too much time dealing with keeping the Seven Kingdoms together to watch them fall apart into chaos. He would actively try to stop them from succeeding, either before or after the Targaryens die. The lords of the Riverlands and the Reach owe everything to the Targaryens and if they decide to become kings that will open a very nasty can of worms amongst their bannermen.

Frankly I think that Jon declaring himself king would only hinder the rebellion from succeeding. 

4 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

If he did that, it would put Eddard and Robert in the uncomfortable position of crowning themselves Kings too. So then who takes command?

And what would everyone else say? The Andals have been ruled by the Targaryens for generations, and no Jon and maybe two other men will call themselves king? That’s a level of treason unseen since the Laughing Storm. If the vassals were divided before, they’d surely be even more divided if rival kingship is in question.

And what happens if they win? Certainly the Iron islands would gleefully support independence but they can’t be relied on as allies since they’d raid the North at the drop of a hat. Dorne would normally be fine with it but they have personal ties to the Targaryens now. Tywin might be interested in being king of the Rock, but I doubt it. I think he’s spent too much time dealing with keeping the Seven Kingdoms together to watch them fall apart into chaos. He would actively try to stop them from succeeding, either before or after the Targaryens die. The lords of the Riverlands and the Reach owe everything to the Targaryens and if they decide to become kings that will open a very nasty can of worms amongst their bannermen.

Frankly I think that Jon declaring himself king would only hinder the rebellion from succeeding. 

And what use would it do? Wardens have just about as much say as what goes on in their region as a king would and really almost as much as prestige. Since, the IT can not possibly micromanage every province of this large empire.

Archived