Swordsmanship of Visenya Targaryen

UFT

2 hours ago, UFT said:

she was apparently more of a warrior than rhaenys so she must have been decent

I thought Rhaenys wasnt much of a warrior at all and more your typical Lady of the court type who was good at dancing and hosting party's and of course rides a fire breathing dragon to battle lol. Visenya was quite the warrior in her prime she even managed to save Aegons life when he was jumped by would be assassins in KL, in which she slayed them all and formed the KG as we know it today immediately after. 

1 hour ago, elder brother jonothor dar said:

but What if: She wasn't? 

Then Aegon the Conqueror would have been killed by assassins and the course of the history of Westeros would have been very different.

1 hour ago, Tygett Lannister said:

They would all probably be pretty shit since they had dragons.

Yeah, I wonder if, in a family of dragonriders, considering the advantage that a fire breathing flying mammoth was in battle, swordsmanship was that much appreciated, at least during or before the Conquest.

Aegon was prepared to fight single combats if needs be, as he did (he thought) against Lord Toland's champion, and Visenya is certainly described as having carried herself as a warrior and being skilled in the use of Dark Sister. 

You don't have your dragon with you 24/7, seems to have been Visenya's thinking.

IIRC Visenya was fast and accurate enough to cut Aegon's face with Dark Sister when driving her point home about his needing a personal guard.  

I'm willing to bet Taco Tuesday for everyone that Visenya could whip all of us, our friends and our detractors.  She was a bad ass.   

I am under the impression that Dark Sister was made for Visenya as well. 

2 hours ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

Yeah, I wonder if, in a family of dragonriders, considering the advantage that a fire breathing flying mammoth was in battle, swordsmanship was that much appreciated, at least during or before the Conquest.

He was considered a great warrior in the AWOIAF:

Rumors abounded that this could be no true son of Aegon the Conqueror, who had been a warrior without peer

Armed with the Valyrian steel blade Blackfyre, he was counted amongst the greatest warriors of his age, yet he took no pleasure in feats of arms and never rode in tourney or mêlée.

22 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

IIRC Visenya was fast and accurate enough to cut Aegon's face with Dark Sister when driving her point home about his needing a personal guard.  

I'm willing to bet Taco Tuesday for everyone that Visenya could whip all of us, our friends and our detractors.  She was a bad ass.   

I am under the impression that Dark Sister was made for Visenya as well. 

We cannot bet what has not yet arrived. Taco Tuesday comes with the return of Fire and Blood to westeros my friend. 

11 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

We cannot bet what has not yet arrived. Taco Tuesday comes with the return of Fire and Blood to westeros my friend. 

Hehehehehe.   Well done, Ser!   I do enjoy a good chuckle in the morning.  

12 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Hehehehehe.   Well done, Ser!   I do enjoy a good chuckle in the morning.  

1 hour ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

He was considered a great warrior in the AWOIAF:

Rumors abounded that this could be no true son of Aegon the Conqueror, who had been a warrior without peer

Armed with the Valyrian steel blade Blackfyre, he was counted amongst the greatest warriors of his age, yet he took no pleasure in feats of arms and never rode in tourney or mêlée.

I am tempted to think that chivalry or traditional fighting styles were a recent thing for Aegon's generation of Targaryens. Very few Targaryen women did took the sword after Aegon's sisters. It would seem to me that Aegon, Visenya and Rhaenys prepared not only a table, made a House banner and levied their troops for the invasion but they also embraced andal concepts of chivalry and westerosi arms training and got Dragonstone looking at Westeros for a change, instead of Essos. If this would be near any George's original idea, then it would make sense that the three monarchs were good fighters.

This is only a non text quote speculation, though. 

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:15 PM, King Merrett I Frey said:

I am tempted to think that chivalry or traditional fighting styles were a recent thing for Aegon's generation of Targaryens. Very few Targaryen women did took the sword after Aegon's sisters. It would seem to me that Aegon, Visenya and Rhaenys prepared not only a table, made a House banner and levied their troops for the invasion but they also embraced andal concepts of chivalry and westerosi arms training and got Dragonstone looking at Westeros for a change, instead of Essos. If this would be near any George's original idea, then it would make sense that the three monarchs were good fighters.

This is only a non text quote speculation, though. 

Valyria was much less sexist than Westeros.  I actually think the older generations of Targs may have been more martial for this reason, whereas the later generations adopted the lady like customs of Westeros.  Especially since the Valyrians houses were supposedly constantly infighting.

I'm still of the view that Aegon the Conqueror was little more than an average swordsman (and perhaps even man in general, more looking the part of the king and being smart enough to surround himself with smart people like his sister-wives and other councilors than being a true larger-than-life figure) with Visenya being the true steel of House Targaryen.

Aegon just killed a bunch of very insignificant people while the reports we have of Visenya depicts her as carrying herself as a true warrior.

Dark Sister clearly seems to have been named in Visenya's honor. We have no idea who else the 'dark sister' the sword is referring to could be. In fact, it seems both Blackfyre (possibly named after the color of Balerion's fire) and Dark Sister were named either in Westeros or some time before the Conquest. This rather barbaric custom of naming weapons seems to be something the Valyrians likely did not do.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

I'm still of the view that Aegon the Conqueror was little more than an average swordsman (and perhaps even man in general, more looking the part of the king and being smart enough to surround himself with smart people like his sister-wives and other councilors than being a true larger-than-life figure) with Visenya being the true steel of House Targaryen.

Aegon just killed a bunch of very insignificant people while the reports we have of Visenya depicts her as carrying herself as a true warrior.

Dark Sister clearly seems to have been named in Visenya's honor. We have no idea who else the 'dark sister' the sword is referring to could be. In fact, it seems both Blackfyre (possibly named after the color of Balerion's fire) and Dark Sister were named either in Westeros or some time before the Conquest. This rather barbaric custom of naming weapons seems to be something the Valyrians likely did not do.

Come on Varys why you doing my boy aegon like that he was beastly with his sword 

4 minutes ago, Aegon1FanBoy said:

Come on Varys why you doing my boy aegon like that he was beastly with his sword 

If we look at TWOIAF, which is written as if written by a maester in the present time, we see how biased the book is in favor of the kings family.  If you were a maester writing about Aegon to conqueror while his sons sat the throne with their massive dragons, are you going to refer to him as mediocre?  The simple answer is no, if you care about you or your families well being, or simply want to curry favor, your going to refer to him as a peerless swordsmen.

Not to mention a peerless swordsman cannot be among the best of his time, the word itself means no one is close, so what we are told about him is a contradiction in and of itself.

I'm not saying he wasn't, personally I have no strong opinion, I'm just saying it is fair to assume the accounts of him are biased in his favor.

1 minute ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

If we look at TWOIAF, which is written as if written by a maester in the present time, we see how biased the book is in favor of the kings family.  If you were a maester writing about Aegon to conqueror while his sons sat the throne with their massive dragons, are you going to refer to him as mediocre?  The simple answer is no, if you care about you or your families well being, or simply want to curry favor, your going to refer to him as a peerless swordsmen.

Not to mention a peerless swordsman cannot be among the best of his time, the word itself means no one is close, so what we are told about him is a contradiction in and of itself.

I'm not saying he wasn't, personally I have no strong opinion, I'm just saying it is fair to assume the accounts of him are biased in his favor.

Of course their bias everyone is biased when it comes to sword skill, but people seem to think Aegon just wasn't all that because he had Balerion i mean Maegor had Balerion and i rank him in the S class of fighters in westeros history 

Archived