Raw water

Larry of the Lawn

***paging Raw Water Walt ***

Apparently the race towards dangerous and quacky health trends has added a new checkpoint: raw water

From the link:

By NELLIE BOWLES
DECEMBER 29, 2017

SAN FRANCISCO — At Rainbow Grocery, a cooperative in this city’s Mission District, one brand of water is so popular that it’s often out of stock. But one recent evening, there was a glittering rack of it: glass orbs containing 2.5 gallons of what is billed as “raw water” — unfiltered, untreated, unsterilized spring water, $36.99 each and $14.99 per refill, bottled and marketed by a small company called Live Water.

“It has a vaguely mild sweetness, a nice smooth mouth feel, nothing that overwhelms the flavor profile,” said Kevin Freeman, a shift manager at the store. “Bottled water’s controversial. We’ve curtailed our water selection. But this is totally outside that whole realm.”

The quest for pure water is hardly new; people have been drinking from natural springs and collecting rainwater from time immemorial. The crusade against adding fluoride to public water began in the 1950s among Americans who saw danger in the protective measures that had been adopted over decades to protect the populace from disease and contamination.

But the off-grid water movement has become more than the fringe phenomenon it once was, with sophisticated marketing, cultural cachet, millions of dollars in funding and influential supporters from Silicon Valley.

At Burning Man, the summer festival in the Nevada desert that attracts the digerati and others, Mr. Evans and his R.V. mate brought 50 gallons of spring water they had collected. “I’m extreme about health, I know, but I’m not alone with this,” Mr. Evans said. “There are a lot of people doing this with me. You never know who you’ll run into at the spring.”

The founder of Live Water, Mukhande Singh, started selling spring water from Opal Springs in Culver, Ore., three years ago, but it was a small local operation until this year. Marketing materials show Mr. Singh (né Christopher Sanborn) sitting naked and cross-legged on a hot spring, his long brown hair flowing over his chest.

03Water3-articleLarge.jpg
Mukhande Singh, the founder of Live Water, at Ukumehame Beach Park, near Lahaina, Hawaii, where he lives.
MARCO GARCIA FOR THE NEW YORK TIMES

Pure water can be obtained by using a reverse osmosis filter, the gold standard of home water treatment, but for Mr. Singh, the goal is not pristine water, per se. “You’re going to get 99 percent of the bad stuff out,” he said. “But now you have dead water.”

He said “real water” should expire after a few months. His does. “It stays most fresh within one lunar cycle of delivery,” he said. “If it sits around too long, it’ll turn green. People don’t even realize that because all their water’s dead, so they never see it turn green.”

Mr. Singh believes that public water has been poisoned. “Tap water? You’re drinking toilet water with birth control drugs in them,” he said. “Chloramine, and on top of that they’re putting in fluoride. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but it’s a mind-control drug that has no benefit to our dental health.” (There is no scientific evidence that fluoride is a mind-control drug, but plenty to show that it aids dental health.)

Article then goes on to enumerate the dangers of drinking unfiltered water.  I hope everyone enjoys raw cholera and raw e. coli with their raw water.

Probably.  But you could put it in a paragraph about how potable water is a government conspiracy and sell it to the right wingnuts.  Or put it in a paragraph about how the chemicals used to make potable water is bad for your aura or some hipster jargon.  Probably improve your "friend's" sales.

We've spent eons fighting against a world that's constantly trying to kill us, now we're getting to the point we're actually winning and people have decided to run back and embrace all the shit that was killing us with open arms. We're really stupid monkeys.

These folks have hit on the secret to world water shortages.  I'm sure folks in Africa and Central Australia will love drinking water straight from their water holes.  Oh wait...

3 hours ago, Stubby said:

These folks have hit on the secret to world water shortages.  I'm sure folks in Africa and Central Australia will love drinking water straight from their water holes.  Oh wait...

They probably just make water treatment plants to create jobs, that's the only reason. Bloody illuminati!

Archived