The Last Jedi (Spoilers): Force-Choke or Tour-de-Force?

Bronn Stone

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Now, personally, I think the most satisfying thing and the best thing is if she and Kylo are both telling the truth at that point. I would like that the most. But I can see it not being that weird to change it to something else, or add more.

Personally, that was one of the most satisfying parts of TLJ. I love that Rey had all these hopes and dreams on being born from royalty - just like every princess story ever, just like every fantasy story ever - and they're dashed, and she still has to go get fucking shit done. 

And she does, because she made herself into what she is. 

Well, it kind of helps she is a Force-user, not exactly a nobody.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Remember her meeting with BB-8, when she says her origin is a secret, too? Classified... I think she believed her parents were someone of importance who had gone on a mission.

I took that in a more playful way as though she was kind of making fun of how important BB8 felt their mission was by giving him her own childish fantasies

I wonder if Rey's parents, despite being dead, might still have some bearing on future development. It might be tight to squeeze it into the final part of a trilogy, but if they knew some other smugglers like the unscrupulous one dude (DJ? Del Toro's character), it would Rey an idea of what she's building on. And it would give that guy more story significance, if anyone's clamoring for that. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, felice said:

Did she? I thought that was just the audience. All she wanted was for her family to come back; I didn't pick up on any suggestion that she thought there was anything special about them beyond being hers. Not before that conversation with Kylo, anyway, which was leaving it a bit late.

I do like that Rey's parents' significance was ultimately of importance only to her. I wonder if we'll get another flashback (there was a brief one in Force Awakens, if I recall correctly) showing more about when they left, how they left, did they intend to return and got killed instead... But at the same time, it might be good to just let that plot thread end. 

8 minutes ago, Liver and Onions said:

I wonder if Rey's parents, despite being dead, might still have some bearing on future development. It might be tight to squeeze it into the final part of a trilogy, but if they knew some other smugglers like the unscrupulous one dude (DJ? Del Toro's character), it would Rey an idea of what she's building on. And it would give that guy more story significance, if anyone's clamoring for that. :rolleyes:

I do like that Rey's parents' significance was ultimately of importance only to her. I wonder if we'll get another flashback (there was a brief one in Force Awakens, if I recall correctly) showing more about when they left, how they left, did they intend to return and got killed instead... But at the same time, it might be good to just let that plot thread end. 

And then we can move onto Temiri Blagg's (the kid at the end of the film) parentage :) He has to be a Kenobi, right?

Oh, I think Rian's right that it's still an open game for JJ, I didn't mean to imply it was all settled.

I mean, all we know now is that the people Rey THINKS were her parents were nobodies. That doesn't mean she wasn't snatched away from her real parents at some point and that her real parents weren't some kind of Force royalty.

But I hope that's not the case. It's so much more romantic if she's commonfolk.

This is interesting -- claims in Chinese media that the title of Solo: A Star Wars Story will be the much shorter, less Star Wars-y, Ranger Solo. If true, Lucasarts and whoever the Chinese distributor is seems to fear "Star Wars" in the title would be a virtual death sentence.

Finally got back to see it for a second time since opening weekend. 

Was really hoping I'd have a near empty theater, but there were still at least 20 other viewers. Ohs wells.

Also, was Rey's internal monologue the first time we've had something like that in the whole series? I can't remember anything else like that in any previous films. Wonder if it'll ever happen again.

And I noticed this time around that the phrase "Godspeed" was used at least twice. I remember believing in the force being referred to as a religion in other films. But I think this is the first mention of a God figure in any of the films.

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Finally got back to see it for a second time since opening weekend. 

Was really hoping I'd have a near empty theater, but there were still at least 20 other viewers. Ohs wells.

Also, was Rey's internal monologue the first time we've had something like that in the whole series? I can't remember anything else like that in any previous films. Wonder if it'll ever happen again.

And I noticed this time around that the phrase "Godspeed" was used at least twice. I remember believing in the force being referred to as a religion in other films. But I think this is the first mention of a God figure in any of the films.

I know it is shot as an internal monologue but isn’t it the case that she is actually saying all of that to Ren? 

I want some Jedi porgs with tiny lightsabers (yes, lightsabers are not useful weapons for tiny combatants, but maybe they have to master the weapon as part of training and then get to design something more porg-friendly.) 

Almost there.

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I know it is shot as an internal monologue but isn’t it the case that she is actually saying all of that to Ren? 

It could be? I took it as her saying it to herself, since we didn't get an image of Ren during the monologue. But I suppose it's a possibility.

11 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

9 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I was surprised by the mention of God in some context too. I do not remember who said it, but if we consider the Force their equivalent of religion, then it was not appropriate.

C-3PO says the ewoks consider him some kind of god 25 years ago.

Han Solo also replies "Then I'll see you in hell!" when it's pointed out he is putting himself in grave danger by heading out into the Hoth blizzard to save Luke.

While there's no way it can be said there's nothing new under the (twin) sun(s) since Disney took over, referring to gods and other human religious notions at least is an Old School Star Wars move.

The ewoks did not know anything about the Force and had their own religion. Seems logical. It would be odd if they referred to the Christian God or used a phrase that is specifically used about Christianity, though.

31 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

The ewoks did not know anything about the Force and had their own religion. Seems logical. It would be odd if they referred to the Christian God or used a phrase that is specifically used about Christianity, though.

"I'll see you in hell" is specifically used about the Christian hell and Han Solo blasted it out there all the way back in 1980.

I agree Godspeed was odd in a Star Wars film, but that kind of reference is not without precedent.

1 hour ago, HokieStone said:

C-3P0 says "Thank the Maker" on at least one occasion.  In the original movie, as he's being lowered into his oil bath.  It's pretty clear to me that "Maker" is a stand-in phrase for "God".

Or Anakin.

10 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

It could be? I took it as her saying it to herself, since we didn't get an image of Ren during the monologue. But I suppose it's a possibility.

It does show her delivering the last line of the ‘monologue’ when she is sitting in the ruins with Ben though, and I took the implication that this was actually some5ing Rey was telling him. Could be either though, no big deal

40 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Or Anakin.

No chance.  This is in the very first movie - Lucas hadn't even thought of his crazy idea to have Anakin build C3P0.  Of course, he started retconning as soon as Empire Strikes Back.  But still...the way it's said, it's a clear analogy to "Thank God", in my opinion.

Archived