The Last Jedi (Spoilers): Force-Choke or Tour-de-Force?

Bronn Stone

11 hours ago, HokieStone said:

No chance.  This is in the very first movie - Lucas hadn't even thought of his crazy idea to have Anakin build C3P0.  Of course, he started retconning as soon as Empire Strikes Back.  But still...the way it's said, it's a clear analogy to "Thank God", in my opinion.

Well not necessarily Anakin but it does make a sort of sense that a droid would praise “the maker” meaning whoever built them

Just now, A True Kaniggit said:

And it doesn't matter that Anakin hadn't been introduced yet as the person who made C-3PO. Coming from a droid in the Star Wars universe, "Thank the maker", seems directed at the person who made him, not a god figure.

Are you me

5 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

^^^^^

"I stare intently at a boot in the room, trying to will it to lift.......Nothing happens".

Well shit.

Rocks. The Force is about lifting rocks. There is nothing about footwear in the job description.

On the China thing almost no one here has seen the old trilogy. I don't think they even released foreign films back then, so without that context the new trilogy is making a bunch of references no one understands. I'm surprised it was released at all to be honest. China only allows a certain number of foreign films in cinemas and I have no idea why Star Wars was approved. They would have been better off showing the original trilogy first or nothing at all. 

Not sure if this goes against the thread, but I'm going to ask anyway: what did you guys think of the 'Solo' trailer?

It's Star Wars; I want to see it. The cinematography looks breath-taking. The cast seems pretty good; Donald Glover looked cool as Lando, no doubt, but while Lando is a great character, he's not an iconic motion picture character. Han Solo is an iconic motion picture character, portrayed by an iconic Hollywood actor. Not sure how I feel about another actor, who's not that much younger than Harrison Ford was when he first played Han Solo, playing Han Solo. He could be brilliant, of course. It still just seems a bit...weird.

3 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Not sure if this goes against the thread, but I'm going to ask anyway: what did you guys think of the 'Solo' trailer?

It's Star Wars; I want to see it. The cinematography looks breath-taking. The cast seems pretty good; Donald Glover looked cool as Lando, no doubt, but while Lando is a great character, he's not an iconic motion picture character. Han Solo is an iconic motion picture character, portrayed by an iconic Hollywood actor. Not sure how I feel about another actor, who's not that much younger than Harrison Ford was when he first played Han Solo, playing Han Solo. He could be brilliant, of course. It still just seems a bit...weird.

Right now, all I can say is that I have mixed feelings, but I wish to stay positive. For more discussion, there is a thread

Not sure where to put this but...

Lucasfilm has just announced that David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, who brought the epic world of George R. R. Martin’s Game of Thrones to television, will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.

These new movies will not be tied to either the ongoing Skywalker saga of the “Episodes” movies, nor will they be connected to the trilogy being developed by The Last Jedi filmmaker Rian Johnson.

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

“In the summer of 1977 we traveled to a galaxy far, far away, and we’ve been dreaming of it ever since,” Benioff and Weiss said in a joint statement. “We are honored by the opportunity, a little terrified by the responsibility, and so excited to get started as soon as the final season of Game of Thrones is complete.”

No release dates have been set for the new films. The final season of Game of Thrones is set to air in 2019, so Benioff and Weiss will be cleared to move from one George’s world to another.

It looks like the backlash to the Civil War show was too much?

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.” .......

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

No. 

On 2/5/2018 at 7:01 AM, JordanJH1993 said:

Everything looks great except the actor playing Solo, who doesn't look much like Harrison Ford (head shape is substantially different enough that it yanks me from the immersion right away). Hopefully this is more Rogue One that TLJ, as R1, despite its flaws, felt like a complete and consistent movie (hilarious, given its production) while TLJ is a weird mix of awesome to terrible, sometimes at the drop of a hat.

Archived