Robert died before made king

Alex Gu

6 minutes ago, Alex Gu said:

what if Robert died before he could become king would stanis be king or a great council has the options of stanis,viserys, maybe Jon.other.?

If Robert never becomes king I don't see Stannis being in line. I don't see them going outside the three rebel leaders. Jon has no children and a terrible history of trying to produce one. Ned already has an heir by war's end, and a bastard as far as anyone knows.

5 hours ago, Alex Gu said:

what if Robert died before he could become king would stanis be king or a great council has the options of stanis,viserys, maybe Jon.other.?

It would be between Jon Arryn and Eddard Stark only. However, their claim on the Iron Throne will be greatly questioned (just like Robert Baratheon if it weren't only for her grandmother, Rhaelle Targaryen). The concern also would be if Jon or Eddard would take the offer on ruling the Seven Kingdoms. The Great Council will likely end up choosing Viserys Targaryen but would also appoint a regent to look over him until he's 16.

11 hours ago, Maester Yandel said:

It would be between Jon Arryn and Eddard Stark only. However, their claim on the Iron Throne will be greatly questioned (just like Robert Baratheon if it weren't only for her grandmother, Rhaelle Targaryen). The concern also would be if Jon or Eddard would take the offer on ruling the Seven Kingdoms. The Great Council will likely end up choosing Viserys Targaryen but would also appoint a regent to look over him until he's 16.

Uh, what?  If Robert died before being crowned by after being proclaimed king (e.g. if he died of his wounds on the Trident), Stannis would become king.

If Robert dies before he is even proclaimed, it's an interesting question.  There is a halfway decent chance the Seven Kingdoms break up; no way the Arryns, Tullys, Baratheons and Starks bend the knee for Aerys, which means they don't bend at all.  If everything proceeds as IOTL, just without Robert being proclaimed King... well, maybe it's still Stannis, maybe some other claimant is given it by right of conquest (Jon Arryn or Ned Stark), or maybe the rebel lords set up a regency for Aegon VI and run the realm for 15 years and make a pact to rebel again if Aegon tries to exact revenge

3 hours ago, cpg2016 said:

Uh, what?  If Robert died before being crowned by after being proclaimed king (e.g. if he died of his wounds on the Trident), Stannis would become king.

If Robert dies before he is even proclaimed, it's an interesting question.  There is a halfway decent chance the Seven Kingdoms break up; no way the Arryns, Tullys, Baratheons and Starks bend the knee for Aerys, which means they don't bend at all.  If everything proceeds as IOTL, just without Robert being proclaimed King... well, maybe it's still Stannis, maybe some other claimant is given it by right of conquest (Jon Arryn or Ned Stark), or maybe the rebel lords set up a regency for Aegon VI and run the realm for 15 years and make a pact to rebel again if Aegon tries to exact revenge

The post never mentioned about him being proclaimed king and dies after. I think what he meant was what if Robert died during the rebellion.

I wonder if Robert's death would be enough to break up the Riverlands/Vale/Stormlands/North coalition?  Would anyone support Stannis?  Would Viserys become king since the issue was between these 4 kingdoms and Aery's/Rhaegar?  Would the North care if Robert died before Rickon and Brandon were killed--would it be a case of "OK, Rhaegar, Lyanna can be queen.   We like you now."?   Each faction of the coalition took losses.   Would they take more to install Stannis or Jon Arryn or Brandon Stark? 

I do enjoy the alternate scenario of Robert being proclaimed king and dying immediately.   That would allow Stannis to take the throne and force him to marry Cersei.  Oh Man that would be some good reading.  OR Viserys is crowned king and is forced to marry Cersei.  (In this event Tywin would not have yet joined the 4 kingdoms)   We could have had a great deal of fun if Robert had just given up the ghost at the Trident with Rhaegar.  

I am having fun with this though I think if Robert died before being proclaimed king it's likely baby Aegon would have become king in very short order and Dorne would have the power they wanted.   The small council would surely have taken in the rebels (keep your enemies close) and would have included the Old Boy's Club of Jon Arryn, Hoster Tully, Rickon Stark and The Mannis of course.   Honestly, if every king's council included at least 1 representative from each of the kingdoms and the Iron Islands there would probably be far fewer problems in Westeros. 

2 hours ago, Maester Yandel said:

The post never mentioned about him being proclaimed king and dies after. I think what he meant was what if Robert died during the rebellion.

He is proclaimed king before the Battle of the Trident, or, in other words, "during the Rebellion".  Get your timeline straight.

4 hours ago, cpg2016 said:

He is proclaimed king before the Battle of the Trident, or, in other words, "during the Rebellion".  Get your timeline straight.

There were 2 other "kings" when Joffrey was the actual king on the Iron Throne during the War of the Five Kings. Does that make the other 2 really kings too?

Even if Robert was proclaimed king by the rebel forces during his rebellion, it was an empty title UNTIL HE WAS ACTUALLY CROWNED KING AFTER THE REBELLION. He was just a claimant. Why would Stannis already succeed Robert in the Iron Throne if he died during the rebellion and is not yet the actual king? LOL

His coronation was not until late 283 AC, that was AFTER THE SACK OF KING'S LANDING and AFTER THE DEATH OF THE MAD KING.

I know my timeline well. :) You should too.

Hard to tell.

Tywin didn't commit to the rebellion until after Rhaeghar died.Maybe he wouldn't have committed at all if Robert died close to Rhaeghar?

Stannis is besieged by land and sea at Storm's End.  Renly is a child.

The Arryn/Stark/Tully alliance is still powerful.

Who knows what the Greyjoys will do?

Oddly enough, the Tyrells and Martells are on the same side.

Does the Arryn/Stark/Tully renounce the Iron Throne and do their own thing?

Do the Tyrells/Martells finish the siege of Storms End?

Does Tywin finally enter the fight and smash the remnants of other armies?

Do the Ironborn capitalize on the chaos and get rich and powerful?

I can see so many different ways that scenario could play out.

Who else is dead/alive? Rhaegar, Aerys, Aegon?

From the OP's question, where Viserys is a claimant, I'm guessing we're saying that Aerys and Rhaegar are both dead too? That would mean that the Rebels had won the Trident and the Lannisters had captured Kings Landing much as happened in the books. Tywin probably wouldn't have felt the need to kill off the Targaryen children if Robert was dead, so I would suggest Aegon was still alive?

In which case, Jaime's temptation to crown Viserys/Aegon and install Tywin as Hand would have been even stronger. The Rebels may have wanted to press a claim for Stannis, whose claim would technically be as strong as Roberts was; but the idea of installing a puppet child Targ with a non-aligned Hand would probably have appealed to many. It would have been something which many Rebels, and Loyalists, would have accepted as a compromise. 

22 hours ago, Kandrax said:

What if  Stannis, Renly, Viserys and Daenerys were never born?

A Game of Thrones would have been the first and the last book under your scenario.  And it would have been lucky to make it to paperback.  There is no story without Daenerys.  Stannis is a good addition.  Renly and Viserys were just props for Daenerys and Stannis story arcs.

On 1/4/2018 at 0:23 AM, Alex Gu said:

I believe the Starks and the Baratheons were already set on crowning Robert long before Brandon got executed in the capital.  Lady Dustin alluded to Rickard Stark's Southron Ambitions and I believe it.  Robert was to be king and Brandon would be his Hand.  The Baratheons will be campaigning for Stannis.  Eddard is a question mark as he is a man of conscience it seems.  He would speak for Prince Viserys and the majority of the rebels would back this claim.  The Baratheon brothers and Jon Arryn would probably oppose, as would Hoster Tully.  But I do not see any other families opposing the choice of Prince Viserys.

2 minutes ago, Noble Lothar Frey said:

A Game of Thrones would have been the first and the last book under your scenario.  And it would have been lucky to make it to paperback.  There is no story without Daenerys.  Stannis is a good addition.  Renly and Viserys were just props for Daenerys and Stannis story arcs.

I believe the Starks and the Baratheons were already set on crowning Robert long before Brandon got executed in the capital.  Lady Dustin alluded to Rickard Stark's Southron Ambitions and I believe it.  Robert was to be king and Brandon would be his Hand.  The Baratheons will be campaigning for Stannis.  Eddard is a question mark as he is a man of conscience it seems.  He would speak for Prince Viserys and the majority of the rebels would back this claim.  The Baratheon brothers and Jon Arryn would probably oppose, as would Hoster Tully.  But I do not see any other families opposing the choice of Prince Viserys.

Who rules  seven kingdoms?

3 minutes ago, Noble Lothar Frey said:

The Baratheons will be campaigning for Stannis.

Which Baratheons? Stannis and child Renly?

4 minutes ago, Noble Lothar Frey said:

Eddard is a question mark as he is a man of conscience it seems.  He would speak for Prince Viserys and the majority of the rebels would back this claim.

Eddard would declare for Jon. He has a stronger claim than Viserys, and is Lyanna's son.

30 minutes ago, Kandrax said:

Who rules  seven kingdoms?

King Viserys III under a regent.

28 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Which Baratheons? Stannis and child Renly?

Eddard would declare for Jon. He has a stronger claim than Viserys, and is Lyanna's son.

Jon is a Stark bastard.  I don't buy into R+L=J and am a Jon critic besides.  I do not see this move getting much support.  Can you imagine the resistance from the Martells, Lannisters, Greyjoys, and Tyrells when Eddard tries to pass off his long-faced dark-haired bastard as a claimant to the throne!!!!!  Nobody would have stood for it.

Prince Viserys was chosen to succeed by his father.  Nobody had a stronger claim than Viserys.  He became king the moment Aerys took his last breath.

3 minutes ago, Noble Lothar Frey said:

King Viserys III under a regent.

Jon is a Stark bastard.  I don't buy into R+L=J and am a Jon critic besides.  I do not see this move getting much support.  Can you imagine the resistance from the Martells, Lannisters, Greyjoys, and Tyrells when Eddard tries to pass off his long-faced dark-haired bastard as a claimant to the throne!!!!!  Nobody would have stood for it.

Prince Viserys was chosen to succeed by his father.  Nobody had a stronger claim than Viserys.  He became king the moment Aerys took his last breath.

How, If he was never born?

Just now, Noble Lothar Frey said:

I don't buy into R+L=J

Fair enough, but I do so we won't find any agreement there. 

1 minute ago, Noble Lothar Frey said:

and am a Jon critic besides

Not really relevant, but valid I guess. 

2 minutes ago, Noble Lothar Frey said:

I do not see this move getting much support.  Can you imagine the resistance from the Martells, Lannisters, Greyjoys, and Tyrells when Eddard tries to pass off his long-faced dark-haired bastard as a claimant to the throne!!!!!  Nobody would have stood for it.

He wouldn't have been a "long faced dark haired bastard" (if you agree with R+L=J, which you don't), he would have been a new baby born to Rhaegar's legal (sort of) wife with three of the most honourable kingsguard to back up his claim. 

It all depends if Aegon is still alive. If he is, he has a stronger claim. If not, the strongest claimant is Jon.

The Martells might not be happy. If Aegon was alive they'd probably support him....if not, they might see it as an act of war to kill their sister and nephew and install a Trag-Stark. But then, they weren't exactly thrilled with what actually happened and they sucked it up.

The Lannisters would do what was best for their house. They might support the Stark claim, or raise their own (perhaps Viserys). But I can see Tywin accepting it in exchange for suitable concessions.

The Greyjoys wouldn't care.

The Tyrells - see the Lannisters. 

2 minutes ago, Kandrax said:

How, If he was never born?

So you're proposing the same scenario as the OP?  Who rules if Robert died during the rebellion? 

We would have a completely different story (and one that would not have sold any books beyond AGOT) and anything could happen.  Perhaps Jaime decides to take it for himself.  ??

Archived