Robert died before made king

Alex Gu

On 1/12/2018 at 1:08 PM, the trees have eyes said:

TLDR  Guy thinks thread is pointless but can't help being assuming his opinion is the only valid one and lecturing everyone else. 

My New Year's Resolution was not to get drawn into pointless debates on this forum with argumentative dudes such as yourself so if you really think some of the things you typed above - and you seem to - I shall bid you farewell!

Haha so you didn't read it?  Shocking.  Man with dumb, uneducated opinions stemming from not closely reading the text, refuses to closely read a rebuttal of those bad opinions.

The thread is pointless because there isn't an argument here, there is only one right answer.  It's Stannis.  Robert's Rebellion wasn't a popularity contest where the winner was acclaimed king.  Robert was acclaimed because he had the strongest claim to the Iron Throne specifically through his Targaryen ancestry, and the legitimacy that grants.  The very act of the rebels acclaiming the Baratheon line as the rightful rulers of Westeros means they are BOUND to support Stannis.

14 hours ago, cpg2016 said:

Haha so you didn't read it?  Shocking.  Man with dumb, uneducated opinions stemming from not closely reading the text, refuses to closely read a rebuttal of those bad opinions.

The thread is pointless because there isn't an argument here, there is only one right answer.  It's Stannis.  Robert's Rebellion wasn't a popularity contest where the winner was acclaimed king.  Robert was acclaimed because he had the strongest claim to the Iron Throne specifically through his Targaryen ancestry, and the legitimacy that grants.  The very act of the rebels acclaiming the Baratheon line as the rightful rulers of Westeros means they are BOUND to support Stannis.

Man with dumb, uneducated opinions sums you up to a T.

The only thing pointless in this thread is you.

:thumbsdown:

• 2 weeks later...
On 4.1.2018 at 6:35 AM, Bael's Bastard said:

If Robert never becomes king I don't see Stannis being in line. I don't see them going outside the three rebel leaders. Jon has no children and a terrible history of trying to produce one. Ned already has an heir by war's end, and a bastard as far as anyone knows.

Stannis had the same targaryen heritage as robert, if he was already on Jon and Ned's side he would have become king

5 hours ago, Euron Lannister said:

Stannis had the same targaryen heritage as robert, if he was already on Jon and Ned's side he would have become king

Robert's Targaryen ancestry is the excuse we are given by Ned for him to have been chosen between the rebel leaders of Jon Arryn, Robert Baratheon, and Eddard Stark. But if, as the OP asks, Robert had died before becoming king, what reason would there have been for Jon and Ned to go outside the rebel leadership to choose Stannis? If Robert had died after they had chosen him and sworn oaths to him, sure, but before? I don't see it. Not when Jon and Ned were the two most important leaders in the rebellion left.

Robert's Targaryen ancestry was convenient icing on the cake. But in terms of succession, his descent from Aegon V's daughter Rhaelle could never justify taking the throne from the rightful male line Targaryens. Robert became the face of the rebellion through feats like being the first to gain the walls of Gulltown and killing Marq Grafton, defeating three different loyalist armies in one day at Summerhall, and  killing six men including Myles Mooton and almost killing Jon Connington at the Battle of the Bells.

2 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

Robert's Targaryen ancestry is the excuse we are given by Ned for him to have been chosen between the rebel leaders of Jon Arryn, Robert Baratheon, and Eddard Stark. But if, as the OP asks, Robert had died before becoming king, what reason would there have been for Jon and Ned to go outside the rebel leadership to choose Stannis? If Robert had died after they had chosen him and sworn oaths to him, sure, but before? I don't see it. Not when Jon and Ned were the two most important leaders in the rebellion left.

Robert's Targaryen ancestry was convenient icing on the cake. But in terms of succession, his descent from Aegon V's daughter Rhaelle could never justify taking the throne from the rightful male line Targaryens. Robert became the face of the rebellion through feats like being the first to gain the walls of Gulltown and killing Marq Grafton, defeating three different loyalist armies in one day at Summerhall, and  killing six men including Myles Mooton and almost killing Jon Connington at the Battle of the Bells.

That's the way i see it too.

Archived