What if Stannis was born a girl?

UFT

stacy baratheon is the sole sister of the strong and powerful robert and robert loves her dearly.  she is fierce and headstrong, and a lyanna-type warrior.

how does this affect the rebellion and beyond?

28 minutes ago, UFT said:

stacy baratheon is the sole sister of the strong and powerful robert and robert loves her dearly.  she is fierce and headstrong, and a lyanna-type warrior.

The rebellion fails because Stannis isn't the one to spearhead the holding off of the Tyrells?

Like if he's a woman he wouldn't have gotten any sort of command to begin with

Depends on whether she's been married off yet and whether the Baratheon men on the inside of Storm's End would remain loyal to a woman refusing to yield to the Tyrell and Redwyne armies. Stanna Baratheon holding her family's seat would make an impressive tale though I question whether Robert would have entrusted this task to a sister.

Stanna? Why not Stannisa?

After Robert's death in the WOT5K she would've sided with Renly and supported his claim after Ned tells her the truth about the twincest. 

Why wouldn't she be able to hold Storm's End and Robert wouldn't have let her fight? If Asha can become a respected warrior on the Iron Islands, Brienne, etc., why not Stannisa?

2 hours ago, divica said:

And now I am imagining the mountain raping stanna lol

Why would the Baratheons go to war against the crown when the princess consort is an ally, especially if Robert actually loves his sister like OP mentions. She's at court, Robert might fight for himself, but he wouldn't make them fight. More to the point, even if Robert does risk that and goes back to SE, someone has to hold it while he marches elsewhere. A castellan, possibly ser Harbert, with an 8 year old Renly isn't going to inspire as much loyalty as the adult younger brother of the "leader" of the rebellion.

2 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Stanna? Why not Stannisa?

Hmmm.... Stanse? Stansa? Stannia?

I'll stick with Stanna myself.

2 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

He would be promised to Ned.

Seems more likely Robert would have tried to hook Stanna up with someone else given that he was expecting to marry Lyanna. Gotta keep those big, political matches going.

After Robert's death in the WOT5K she would've sided with Renly and supported his claim after Ned tells her the truth about the twincest. 

Very likely since Renly would be the rightful king. That said, I doubt Robert would have named Stanna Mistress of Ships, which means she might not have been at court. I certainly see her clashing with Cersei Lannister -- and it would be interesting if Stanna was also the one who enlisted Jon Arryn to investigate Robert's bastards.

I wonder... would Stanna still have got Dragonstone? Or might she have stayed at Storm's End as Renly's guardian until her marriage?

Why wouldn't she be able to hold Storm's End and Robert wouldn't have let her fight? If Asha can become a respected warrior on the Iron Islands, Brienne, etc., why not Stannisa?

Asha is an exception, not a rule. I could buy that Stanna might have still been able to hold Storm's End for a year but I highly doubt he would have let her fight. The way Brienne is treated speaks to how the Storm Lords see a warrior woman - i.e. not very well. At best, she'd be a Lyanna type where she does "acceptable" things like the rings and secretly putting her baby brother on his rump in play sword fights but never allowed to carry a sword herself.

Though, let's be honest, if Stanna is anything like her male-counterpart in terms of personality, wouldn't she be an uptight traditionalist? Either way, she has to keep that dry sense of humour!

2 hours ago, Ser Leftwich said:

Stanna would have been married to Rhaegar instead Elia.

That would be interesting. Presuming that is the only thing that changes, then after Lyanna disappears Aerys could have essentially had Robert's own sister, niece and nephew as hostages.

8 minutes ago, Faera said:

Very likely since Renly would be the rightful king. That said, I doubt Robert would have named Stanna Mistress of Ships, which means she might not have been at court. I certainly see her clashing with Cersei Lannister -- and it would be interesting if Stanna was also the one who enlisted Jon Arryn to investigate Robert's bastards.

Doesn't matter where she is. Stannis wasn't at court when Ned was there either, otherwise he'd be meat. However, I might make a correction-Eddard would inform Renly of his claim, not Stannisa. The important part where she supports her brother Renly's claim stays the same. 

8 minutes ago, Faera said:

I wonder... would Stanna still have got Dragonstone? Or might she have stayed at Storm's End as Renly's guardian until her marriage?

Probably yes. Someone has to be in the castle, who better? Plus, I think she'd be more content with the castle since Storm's end is not hers by right. And Baratheons didn't care about the Targ's tradition that the heir to the IT should hold Dragonstone. 

14 minutes ago, Faera said:

SNIP

That would be interesting. Presuming that is the only thing that changes, then after Lyanna disappears Aerys could have essentially had Robert's own sister, niece and nephew as hostages.

But that is not the only thing that would change. Everything would have changed: Steffon and Cassana wouldn't have died, Rhaegar would have had a wife with more recent Targ blood (and not Dornish), and Aerys might have been more happy with this match, etc, etc, etc,  ad infinitum. (This is why almost all "What if" topics are a waste of time, they give little to no insight into the actual story.)

4 hours ago, Ser Leftwich said:

This idea is ancient. Stanna would have been married to Rhaegar instead Elia.

1 hour ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Why would the Baratheons go to war against the crown when the princess consort is an ally, especially if Robert actually loves his sister like OP mentions. She's at court, Robert might fight for himself, but he wouldn't make them fight. More to the point, even if Robert does risk that and goes back to SE, someone has to hold it while he marches elsewhere. A castellan, possibly ser Harbert, with an 8 year old Renly isn't going to inspire as much loyalty as the adult younger brother of the "leader" of the rebellion.

1 hour ago, Ser Leftwich said:

But that is not the only thing that would change. Everything would have changed: Steffon and Cassana wouldn't have died, Rhaegar would have had a wife with more recent Targ blood (and not Dornish), and Aerys might have been more happy with this match, etc, etc, etc,  ad infinitum. (This is why almost all "What if" topics are a waste of time, they give little to no insight into the actual story.)

Exactly. Robert's Rebellion wouldn't have happened at all and we'd have an entirely different story.

6 hours ago, UFT said:

She will have the organ to birth her own shadow baby.  Maybe Lord Walder will refrain from calling her Bunghole.  No other effect.

As many have pointed Stanelle would be married to Rhaegar. Steffon survives and replaces Twyin as Hand of the King, Stanelle gives Rhaegar the children he needs, Rebellion probably doesn't happen. I expect conflict :

• when Twyin is replaced as Hand. In TWOIF it was rumored that when Steffon arrived from Volantis and replace him, Twyin would be arrested for treason.
  • If Twyin was left to return untouched to Casterly Rock, i expect conflict when Aerys's paranoia becomes unbearable. Rhaegar now is involved in the Southern Ambitions Block.

Archived