NFL 2017-18 Playoffs: circling the wagons

DanteGabriel

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Welcome to the club then. 

Oh and FYI, our owners are every bit as scummy as the Broncos' owner.

I'll take, but I don't know if this mindset is needed in sports.

And hey, we got a WNBA dynasty going on here. :P

Nah, it's not that im bandwagoning. The Giants are still my team, but out of these teams the Vikings are the most endearing to me.

Just now, Pony Queen Jace said:

Oh and something I want to say about the Minnesota Mindblower, Case Keenum and Stephon Diggs completed a legendary connection to give themselves a shot at winning the game before Diggs took it to the house, I think that's being forgotten.

Funny thing is it was actually a bad pass, but because it was a bad pass it didn't go where the defender thought it would. If it had, Williams likely makes the play. 

Now that I've had time to really let the game sink in, I think that might be the most exciting play I've ever seen. I really don't recall feeling anything like it. I was watching the game with like 20-30 people, everyone was resigned to defeat. I went into the kitchen (but I could still see the TV) to grab a bottle and some shot glasses because I knew were going to be doing some sad drinking. A lot of other people  stop watching too. And then my mom just screams out, "You've got to be f'ing kidding me." I look over and Diggs just crossed the goal line. I could not believe it. Even Diggs, after the game, had said that he accepted defeat. It sounds like Case was the only one who thought they still had a chance, and went out there and made the biggest play of his life. Good for him!  

4 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Nah, it's not that im bandwagoning. The Giants are still my team, but out of these teams the Vikings are the most endearing to me.

I actually feel like all three not-Pats teams have a good story. A career journeyman QB catches lightning in a bottle. A failed starter replaces the likely MVP and leads them to a title. And a QB mocked more than just about any in NFL history overcomes the hate. The Pats' story line doesn't offer anything like that really.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I actually feel like all three not-Pats teams have a good story. A career journeyman QB catches lightning in a bottle. A failed starter replaces the likely MVP and leads them to a title. And a QB mocked more than just about any in NFL history overcomes the hate. The Pats' story line doesn't offer anything like that really.

Right, but that MVP-replacing QB plays for a team that has perhaps THE worst fans in football and that mocked QB played like ass in the game before the last one, plus the Jags bore me.

58 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You don't think Tom Brady survives Titans and Jagz gauntlet to reach Super Bowl isn't a compelling story line???

10 minutes ago, sperry said:

You don't think Tom Brady survives Titans and Jagz gauntlet to reach Super Bowl isn't a compelling story line???

I guess I just expect that from Tom Brady and thr Patriots, so no, not really.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

How about... the oldest quarterback and oldest linebacker to ever play at this level try to win one more Superb Owl? Or perhaps: three teams who have never won a title battle the Evil Empire... but the Empire prevails.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Funny thing is it was actually a bad pass, but because it was a bad pass it didn't go where the defender thought it would. If it had, Williams likely makes the play. 

Now that I've had time to really let the game sink in, I think that might be the most exciting play I've ever seen. I really don't recall feeling anything like it. I was watching the game with like 20-30 people, everyone was resigned to defeat. I went into the kitchen (but I could still see the TV) to grab a bottle and some shot glasses because I knew were going to be doing some sad drinking. A lot of other people  stop watching too. And then my mom just screams out, "You've got to be f'ing kidding me." I look over and Diggs just crossed the goal line. I could not believe it. Even Diggs, after the game, had said that he accepted defeat. It sounds like Case was the only one who thought they still had a chance, and went out there and made the biggest play of his life. Good for him!  

I've looked at it from a hundred angles since I read this post.

I can't disagree more. It was an excellent pass. Sure, it wasn't as on-the-sideline as you might want. But even if the safety had immediately initiated a proper tackle, Stephon Diggs had a legitimate chance to get out of bounds (and I think he would have).

Hell, at the end of the day I think Diggs is smart enough to have known that he simply couldn't go down in bounds and would have done anything (including possibly an 'accidental' fumble out of bounds) to get the clock stopped.

Remember, it's not like they were throwing a hail mary. They had a full 10 seconds, plenty of time to work the sideline.

My condolences to Cowboys fans on the hiring of Paul Alexander as their O-line coach. You guys probably have enough talent on that line to cover up his terribly outdated and passive schemes for a while, but you better hope Jerry doesn’t let him have much say in future draft picks. He singlehandedly set the Bengals back years do to completely missing on a couple high picks that have been total disasters. To put things in perspective we wanted him out of Cincy even more than Marvin Lewis...

10 hours ago, Nictarion said:

My condolences to Cowboys fans on the hiring of Paul Alexander as their O-line coach. You guys probably have enough talent on that line to cover up his terribly outdated and passive schemes for a while, but you better hope Jerry doesn’t let him have much say in future draft picks. He singlehandedly set the Bengals back years do to completely missing on a couple high picks that have been total disasters. To put things in perspective we wanted him out of Cincy even more than Marvin Lewis...

Yeah, I mean... if the Bengals o-line's performance this year is any indicator of his success as a coach at all, I'm not sure why anyone would go near him with a ten-foot stick...

15 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Right, but that MVP-replacing QB plays for a team that has perhaps THE worst fans in football and that mocked QB played like ass in the game before the last one, plus the Jags bore me.

Are they really worse than Cowboys, Pats and Jets fans (not talking about anyone here)?

14 hours ago, sperry said:

Jokes aside, I think the Jags will beat the Pats.

13 hours ago, Altherion said:

How about... the oldest quarterback and oldest linebacker to ever play at this level try to win one more Superb Owl? Or perhaps: three teams who have never won a title battle the Evil Empire... but the Empire prevails.

How is that a compelling narrative? There really isn’t one outside of New England’s fan base.

13 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I've looked at it from a hundred angles since I read this post.

I can't disagree more. It was an excellent pass. Sure, it wasn't as on-the-sideline as you might want. But even if the safety had immediately initiated a proper tackle, Stephon Diggs had a legitimate chance to get out of bounds (and I think he would have).

Hell, at the end of the day I think Diggs is smart enough to have known that he simply couldn't go down in bounds and would have done anything (including possibly an 'accidental' fumble out of bounds) to get the clock stopped.

Remember, it's not like they were throwing a hail mary. They had a full 10 seconds, plenty of time to work the sideline.

No Honey Bunny, it was a bad pass. Case was supposed to drive the ball to Diggs’ outside shoulder so it would either be a catch and he immediately goes out of bounds or it’s an incompletion. And that’s what Williams was playing. But Case threw it way behind Diggs, and that’s why he missed so bad (a veteran probably would have adjusted and tackled Diggs in bounds). Diggs made an amazing play and slowed down and went back for the ball, which is also why he had enough room to pivot and turn it up field.

32 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Are they really worse than Cowboys, Pats and Jets fans (not talking about anyone here)?

Eagles fans are worse than Cowboys, Jets or Steelers fans.  Patriots fans are a very different kind of terrible from Eagles fans. 

Are Jets fans really that bad? (Relatively, I mean)

I think most of the bad ones are just endlessly delusional, with a massive kid-brother complex about the Patriots, but that doesn't even put them in the bottom half of bad fans.

And don't bring up Fireman Ed. He's just a single guy with a hopelessly inflated ego.

There's also plenty of examples of drunken toxicity and misogyny, but sadly that sums up elements of every NFL fanbase (every sports fan base really).

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Are Jets fans really that bad? (Relatively, I mean)

Jets fans are one of the most deluded fanbases in the league, but I wouldn't consider them the worst.  It can be downright endearing.

Also, which fanbases are the worst is obviously greatly influenced by where you live.  I would consider the three most obnoxious fanbases to be Pittsburgh, Philly and New England.  But there's a good chance this is influenced by being so close to PA.  Although I've never had much of a problem with either Ravens or Panthers fans, which are similarly nearby.

One of my good friends lives in FL and insists that Dolphins fans are THE WORST, and that they still bring up the 17-0 season as if everyone should care about this season that happened before most of us were born.  Seeing how I've only met a couple of Dolphins fans in my whole life, I can't really judge how obnoxious they are. 

Archived