NFL 2017-18 Playoffs: circling the wagons

DanteGabriel

Oh the beauty! 

Mr. Scapegoat The Best QB in Franchise History to Try and Save My Worthless Neck himself is interviewing with the Browns for HC

Bringing in a failed HC who has a failed system that only looked good because the most talented quarterback I've ever seen was making magic out of dogshit is the most Browns thing I could imagine. 

I hope they hire him!

1 minute ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

Which NFL fanbase is worst?

It's a 32 way tie for first.

Nah, Colts fans are pretty inoffensive despite being constantly offended.

Cardinals fans are fine, I have a close friend I visit who lives in Glendale, I've been to Cards games (plural).

Dolphins jags and bucs fans have to get their dosage of professional ball on Saturdays.

Giants fans aren't particularly notable, because the Giants are the team for rich people and the jets are for poor people (according to Giants fans)

That's just off the top of my brain pan.

I feel like the fan bases that are most disliked tend to come from teams that were great in the past, but haven’t experienced much success as of late while the least offensive fan bases come from teams that have never had any success. And then there’s the Pats fans, which are a whole different type of annoying because Boston fans, more than any other fans, get their identity from their sports teams.

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I feel like the fan bases that are most disliked tend to come from teams that were great in the past, but haven’t experienced much success as of late while the least offensive fan bases come from teams that have never had any success. And then there’s the Pats fans, which are a whole different type of annoying because Boston fans, more than any other fans, get their identity from their sports teams.

More than Green Bay fans?  Really?  

I think Pats fans are a "whole different type of annoying" because the Pats are a "whole different type of successful team;" the Pats have been far too successful for far too long and anything a Pats fan says can be met with derision and contempt.  Further, there "is always something" to be angry at about the Pats because they are in the limelight so much.

If the Pats had a regular trajectory - were good a few years, then terrible for a few years, then good again - the fans would be more tolerable because they would not have so much success to fall back on and the resentment against them would not be so high, and the media would not be stuck to them so fervently.    

This is a topic that keeps coming back, and don't get me wrong, Pats fans can suck out loud.  But for me, its no one fan-base; its the bandwagon fans- the people who jump on a team as soon as they become successful.  I never saw so many Packers fans than in 1996-97 when they were in the Superbowl; people who never rooted for the Broncos were "all in" when they were repeating; The Saints had that too, but their Katrina attachment sort of forgives those bandwagoners.  Those are the people I abhor the most.  Its why when people discuss my fandom to the Pats I- reflexively - tell the story of how I recall vividly the 1985 Superbowl where the Pats were OBLITERATED by the Bears. I recall my grandfather stopping by our house and joking, "Oh; I thought the game was next week!"  And after that Irecall seeing the black screen just saying that because the Pats game was not a sell-out we could not watch the games (having Hugh Millen as your starting QB will do that).  

I need people to know that I was in this for the duration.  

But people who just show up when the going gets good; people who are there only through "thick and thick" those fans suck the most. 

TL;DR: Cowboys fans are the fucking worst.  End of discussion.  

2 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

I think Pats fans are a "whole different type of annoying" because the Pats are a "whole different type of successful team;" the Pats have been far too successful for far too long and anything a Pats fan says can be met with derision and contempt.  Further, there "is always something" to be angry at about the Pats because they are in the limelight so much.

If the Pats had a regular trajectory - were good a few years, then terrible for a few years, then good again - the fans would be more tolerable because they would not have so much success to fall back on and the resentment against them would not be so high, and the media would not be stuck to them so fervently.    

This is a topic that keeps coming back, and don't get me wrong, Pats fans can suck out loud.  But for me, its no one fan-base; its the bandwagon fans- the people who jump on a team as soon as they become successful.  I never saw so many Packers fans than in 1996-97 when they were in the Superbowl; people who never rooted for the Broncos were "all in" when they were repeating; The Saints had that too, but their Katrina attachment sort of forgives those bandwagoners.  Those are the people I abhor the most.  Its why when people discuss my fandom to the Pats I- reflexively - tell the story of how I recall vividly the 1985 Superbowl where the Pats were OBLITERATED by the Bears. I recall my grandfather stopping by our house and joking, "Oh; I thought the game was next week!"  And after that Irecall seeing the black screen just saying that because the Pats game was not a sell-out we could not watch the games (having Hugh Millen as your starting QB will do that).  

But people who just show up when the going gets good; people who are there only through "thick and thick" those fans suck the most. 

I 100% agree with you.  The problem is that the pats have had 15 years of bandwagoners.  It's been going on for so long that some actually believe they've been fans through thick and thin, when they have no idea what that really means.

But speaking of fans, I'm really enjoying the butt-hurt packer fans trolling the Vikings social media accounts.  I never understood the mentality, but feel like I can taste the salty tears through the screen.

Eagles fans are by far the worst when their team is good.  Thankfully, that's rare.

Pats fans are the worst, though.  Well, Boston sports fans in general.  They've seen success in every sport recently and are just total dicks about it.

1 minute ago, Red Tiger said:

Yeah, they're the type of fans who cheer when a guy from the opposing side gets hurt. Even today.

They are still the only fanbase that threw batteries at santa.

Ok apparently this is either me misremembering or someone conflating two incidents.  Eagles fans booed and threw snowballs at Santa.  And Eagles fans booed and threw D batteries at players, such as Doug Peterson

I guess that's a little better?

4 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Giants fans aren't particularly notable, because the Giants are the team for rich people and the jets are for poor people (according to Giants fans)

Do I have to register as a republican now?

In my experience in life Dallas fans are the absolute worst. 

4 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Jets fans are one of the most deluded fanbases in the league, but I wouldn't consider them the worst.  It can be downright endearing.

Heck the Jets aren't even the most deluded fan base in the division.  The Bills Mafia live in a reality so distant it's not even really fair to call it alternate.  There are definitely fan bases that are bigger assholes, but those guys are out there.

4 hours ago, aceluby said:

I 100% agree with you.  The problem is that the pats have had 15 years of bandwagoners.  It's been going on for so long that some actually believe they've been fans through thick and thin, when they have no idea what that really means.

But speaking of fans, I'm really enjoying the butt-hurt packer fans trolling the Vikings social media accounts.  I never understood the mentality, but feel like I can taste the salty tears through the screen.

To be fair, I saw a ton of gross reveling in Rogers's injury from Vikings fans on social media. As a Packers fan, both of these fan bases have really put me off at various points, and I try to tune them out generally. 

3 hours ago, Rockroi said:

Yes, more than Packers fans, though they might come in second place. Fans get defensive when you insult their team, but Boston fans are a different animal. It's like you insulted their supposes.

Beyond that, I'm not so sure it's the success in and of itself that gets Pats/Boston fans a bad rap. It's the smugness that comes along with it. Other teams have had successful runs, albeit not as long as the Pats, and their fans don't always get bad raps because they come off as being happy rather than using it as something to lord over fans of other teams. Inversely, the Cowboys have been largely irrelevant for a few decades and their fans also project a certain smugness, which hurts their image too. So it's not just the winning that hurts a fan base's image. Add in the scandals and the constant whataboutism and it becomes easy to see why fans outside of New England don't think very highly of the generic Boston fan (everyone in here is cool though, except @Week. He's history's greatest monster.).

There's also a racial element to it, but I'm not sure how to factor that in.

Fair point, 

I will say that I've never found a fanbase that is so desirous to make sure that I have a bad day as Pats fans do. Other fanbases seem to be happy about their team, or occasionally mock their rival; only Pats fans have made sure to go out of their way to point out how (any team I might care about) isn't good. 

The thing that drives me nuts is the poor, poor victim me mode that Patriots fans seem to believe is their lot.

They make me want to hate them.  And that just feeds their belief they are victims.

I've rooted for the Padres for 48 years, the Chargers for about 44 (and not to be 45 any time soon), the Cal Golden Bears Football 35 years and the Cal Basketball for about 32.

I've seen zero Super Bowl wins, zero World Series Wins, zero Rose Bowls and zero Final Fours.

But I still believe that if and when that day comes, I'll never whine like a Patriots fan.

28 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

To be fair, I saw a ton of gross reveling in Rogers's injury from Vikings fans on social media. As a Packers fan, both of these fan bases have really put me off at various point, and I try to tune them out generally. 

Word! It was gross seeing it on FB. It would be like if Packers fans mocked Bridgewater for his injury. There's no place for that.

That said, I've barely experienced the venom you hear about between Vikings and Packers fans. I've always experienced a playful rivalry. 

7 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Serattle fans are pretty obnoxious now that they think that they know suffering a smidgen.

Bruh! The Wash fans are pretty fucking bad man. You know it bro, I've treated more than one drunk ass dude (and one woman) who was wearing a Sherman jersey and loudly telling everyone in sight how Richard Sherman's education was better than ours (the hospital staff).

I only mention that because as I said it's happened more than once (and I rarely worked ER, due to other obligations). Now I wasn't around until right before THE TURN (2012), so I can't say if success corrupted (it did) but Seattle fans have been bad throughout this run.

Not awful, not terrible, synonyms, but far from antonym.

But yeah, this year was exceptionally bad. A lot of thuggish guys going for their Masters this year :P

3 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Do I have to register as a republican now?

In my experience in life Dallas fans are the absolute worst. 

ONLY IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO REGISTER AS A CUCK!!!!!

(Reread that above Alex Jones-esque statement. First person to tell me why I made an awesome joke by addressing an unspoken truth (kinda) gets a prize!)

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Word! It was gross seeing it on FB. It would be like if Packers fans mocked Bridgewater for his injury. There's no place for that.

That said, I've barely experienced the venom you hear about between Vikings and Packers fans. I've always experienced a playful rivalry. 

I hadn't really heard or seen anything about this in any notable numbers, although I would say that while celebrating an injury of any player who isn't an objective monster is reprehensible there is a lot at play between the Vikes and Pack I think.

@Tywin et al. correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always understood Vikes fans understandably look at their cursed existence as a kind of foil to the Packers' unparalleled decades long run of fortune. Then you add that a lot of people just don't like Aaron Rodgers (I wasn't a Packers hater when Favre was there, myself) and there is a bit of a volatile mix in the making.

That does not excuse such heinous statements, but when we're talking in generalities about fanbases I think it's fair to add context to situations like this.

To me the worst fans are the fans of the team I dislike! I am a Cowboys fan, have been since I was like 6 years old, and growing up in Michigan, no one knows why i like them, I just do. So for me it's Eagles fans that are the worst. I am a Michigan fan, so in college, OSU fans are the worst.

Basically if your team isn't successful and another one is (especially a rival), their fans are happy, and you are miserable so it makes you dislike them even more. This runs true for teams who have long success, Cowboys, Patriots, Yankee's etc. People get sick of them winning and want literally anyone else to win.

Archived