What did Aerys think about Lyanna's abduction?

Endymion I Targaryen

As far as I remember the books don't show Aerys's opinion about Rhaegar's decision to leave with Lyanna. 

Did he think that Rhaegar was unhappy with his wife? 

Did he think that he fell in love with Lyanna?

Did he think Rhaegar wanted more children?

He believed in the same prophecy Rhaegar did? After all he wed Rhaella because of this prophecy and Rhaegar was convinced that Aegon was not the prince that was promised. 

We are actually discussing some of this in another topic, so this is what I've learned thus far...

Aerys didn't seem to like Rhaegar.   He did not trust him.   Aerys asked for Tywin's advice on various issues regarding the kingdom.   Then he turned around and did the opposite of what Tywin advised.   Aerys commanded his son to marry a Dornish princess then said his 1st grand daughter smelled Dornish.   Long short it's doubtful Aerys gave a damn about what Rhaegar wanted. 

Aerys was forced to marry Rhaella.   Neither had a choice thanks to that blasted prophecy.  I don't know that Aerys had any love for his son before Duskendale, but he seemed to disdain Rhaegar afterward.  I'm not just trying to blast Aerys here.   I can't recall a single good thing anyone had to say about him.   I'm not even sure Aerys cared about the prophecy in forcing the marriage with Elia.   The overwhelming feeling is that she was chosen for the Targaryan in her blood.  

Who knows maybe Rhaegar really was a jerk and Aerys just couldn't stand it.  I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but I can't recall anything good about Aerys.  

What makes you think about this @Endymion I Targaryen?  

1 hour ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

When he was younger he wanted to build an underground water canal in Dorne that would make the deserts bloom, which would have been lovely. 

There you have it, Father of The Year!   I knew there had to be something good about Aerys, thanks Ralphis!

It's hard to say what he actually thought about it. Based on what we have seen so far I would say he didnt't gave a damm about who Rhaegar's was sleeping with and he decided to kill Rickard and Brandon just because they demanded him to do something. Maybe he thought that this was all a Rhaegar's plot to dethrone him.

32 minutes ago, BRANDON GREYSTARK said:

Aerys probably orchestrated the whole thing , so he was delighted until it turned sideways .

I doubt that. Aerys was plain mad at the time to orchestrate something out of this and Varys is too pragmatical to allow a plot like this to go on. Of course, assuming that Varys is a loyalist, what I reckon is a big (and dangerous) shot.

2 hours ago, Bowen Marsh said:

Aerys had no knowledge of the abduction until that dummy Brandon Stark barged into the throne room and threatened his family. 

I'm not sure Brandon made it all the way to the Throne room, at least not without being in chains. Guards probably wrangled up him and his posse shortly after they barged into the Red Keep. Aerys doesn't strike me as a king who would tolerate lax security.

10 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

His madness progressed a lot at that point so probably nothing reasonable or sane. 

Well, I doubt this was the case. Aerys had to have some chain of reasoning within his own mind. Maybe it was cuckoo-bananas, like Cersei's chapters. However, we really don't know much about Aerys except what others have said about him, long after his death. At the risk of being branded a starry-eyed idealist, I suspect we'd find out a lot more in The Winds of Winter when it comes out.

The information we've seen about "Robert's" Rebellion (and even that is apparently questionable) has been pretty minimal and mostly (except for Jon Connington and Viserys Targaryen's recollections) heavily biased in favor of Robert Baratheon. So it really can't be an accurate history. Note furthermore that "The World of Ice & Fire" was dedicated to King Robert Baratheon (scratched out; then "King Joffrey", scratched out; then "King Tommen") - so the "recent history" chapters dealing with Aerys II and Robert I will be heavily slanted towards approval and even flattery of Robert Baratheon. This would make Aerys look a lot worse than he actually was, and ditto for Prince Rhaegar.

2 minutes ago, zandru said:

Well, I doubt this was the case. Aerys had to have some chain of reasoning within his own mind. Maybe it was cuckoo-bananas, like Cersei's chapters. However, we really don't know much about Aerys except what others have said about him, long after his death. At the risk of being branded a starry-eyed idealist, I suspect we'd find out a lot more in The Winds of Winter when it comes out.

You believe in aerys and that the book will be released!? that is very rare!

But the truth is that very strange thing were happening at that time so I wouldn t find that strange that aerys burned rickard for a reason...

Besides if rhaegar is seen as a rapist kdnaper by robert suporters and idiolized by a lot of other people how can we know that there isn t more to aerys himself? after all he and rhaegar became friends again before rhaegar went to the trident...

1 hour ago, zandru said:

The information we've seen about "Robert's" Rebellion (and even that is apparently questionable) has been pretty minimal and mostly (except for Jon Connington and Viserys Targaryen's recollections) heavily biased in favor of Robert Baratheon. So it really can't be an accurate history. Note furthermore that "The World of Ice & Fire" was dedicated to King Robert Baratheon (scratched out; then "King Joffrey", scratched out; then "King Tommen") - so the "recent history" chapters dealing with Aerys II and Robert I will be heavily slanted towards approval and even flattery of Robert Baratheon. This would make Aerys look a lot worse than he actually was, and ditto for Prince Rhaegar.

I doubt it. There are many characters from different places agreeing at least on this matter, that the man lost his mind. 

Cersei is not a mentally sane person. If the mad king had the same mindset and reasoning, I wouldn't change my mind. Not saying that I am not interested though.

3 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

There are many characters from different places agreeing at least on this matter, that the man lost his mind. 

Agreed. Yet it's interesting that so many defended him and his rule for so long. This includes Barristan Selmy and Jon Connington, probably Ser Willem Darry who took Viserys and Daenerys away to Essos to protect them, etc. We don't yet know the whole story.

21 hours ago, Petyr Lannister said:

It's hard to say what he actually thought about it. Based on what we have seen so far I would say he didnt't gave a damm about who Rhaegar's was sleeping with and he decided to kill Rickard and Brandon just because they demanded him to do something. Maybe he thought that this was all a Rhaegar's plot to dethrone him.

I doubt that. Aerys was plain mad at the time to orchestrate something out of this and Varys is too pragmatical to allow a plot like this to go on. Of course, assuming that Varys is a loyalist, what I reckon is a big (and dangerous) shot.

Sorry , this was mainly speculation on my half , If you compare the way Aerys is depicted in ACOK , when Jaime is telling Catelyn on how when Brandon rode to King's Landing , shouting for Rhaegar "to come out and die ! " Aerys told him that Rhaegar wasn't here , and had him arrested .And the depiction in ADWD when Bloodbeard killed Groleo and presented to Hizdahr zo Loraq  his head and Barristan was thinking about Robert, Aerys and Jaehaerys . He said" Aerys would flinch away in horror cutting himself on the throne's barbs , then he would shriek at his swordsmen to  cut the Yunkishmen to pieces . "

Rhaegar was known as being a dutiful son . Dutiful - Obediently fulfilling ones duty .

Archived