"Burnt sword": Are we sure our Hound isn't AA reborn and/or Lightbringer?

glassgardens

The sudden shift in subject left Davos uneasy. "Sword?"

"A sword plucked from fire, yes. Men tell me things, it is my pleasant smile. How shall a burnt sword serve Stannis?"

"A burning sword," corrected Davos.

I believe that Davos' correction is...incorrect. The sword is a man and the man is burned. Our Hound (involuntarily) gave his face to the fire, the same way Varys (involuntarily) gave his private parts. Both seem to have gotten messages in the flames from the Red God. 

Thoughts on the Red Sword of Heroes being more metaphorical than a particular metal sword? I think Clegane qualifies in many ways.

I've also considered Sandor's ability to fit into this.  I'd also point out that he was in many ways (re)born near Saltpans which had recently been burned.  A fairly literal interpretation of prophesy, but it could fit (as is the nature of prophesy).

10 hours ago, glassgardens said:

"A sword plucked from fire, yes. Men tell me things, it is my pleasant smile. How shall a burnt sword serve Stannis?"

I believe that Davos' correction is...incorrect. The sword is a man and the man is burned. Our Hound (involuntarily) gave his face to the fire, the same way Varys (involuntarily) gave his private parts. Both seem to have gotten messages in the flames from the Red God. 

Thoughts on the Red Sword of Heroes being more metaphorical than a particular metal sword? I think Clegane qualifies in many ways.

Jon gave his hand (involuntarily) to fire.

Azor Ahai first used water, then a lion then his wife for his swords.

So water for Jon, who is the LC of Wall and a Stark(descendant)

Lion for Hound (origins of his house)

Wife for Varys (cause he is the cockless wonder)

11 hours ago, glassgardens said:

Although that i would agree that he fits many of the interpretations. I would ask where his Nissa Nissa is to complete the picture. 

Highly possibly though that martin has set this situation up with a few people in a couple ways. 

Exp- Stannis was already Azor Ahai and Melisandre was Nissa Nissa (Which is purple), and Renly was the other brother at war with them. Stannis plunged his fire sword into Melisandre's cold heart and produced a shadow baby that ended the war to be had at Dawn.

This set up pops up a few times symbolically. As Nissa Nissa (What they're fighting over) is also interchangeable with the Throne and a woman. But i imagine Martin has found other symbolic ways to set this up too. 

The Hound vs the Mountain. The hound thought dead while actually alive, while the Mountain does die, but is brought back. So both are Ice and Fire. Tho one is still more fire while the other is still more ice. So the Hound plunging a flaming sword of sorts into his brothers heart which would then steam and hiss and crack and smoke, would all symbolically fit. 

Though The Three Heads of the Dragon are some one else more deeply connected to Others, Dragons, and the Union of Ice and Fire. 

I don't know.  Has he hatched dragons from stone or wake the dragon? :D

The Quiet Isle is an interesting place though.  A place of salt and smoke; so I do think the repentant are reborn there.  The Hound is dead but Sandor the gravedigger lives having been shorn of his previous life and identity.  He is a burned man and marked by R'hllor so I don't think the gods are done with him.  He might even be one of Rhaegar's rubies washed up on the Isle and in Elder Brother's mind; a personification of one of the seven.  Specifically, the Stranger given his association with Arya and the name he gives his horse.    

1 minute ago, LynnS said:

I don't know.  Has he hatched dragons from stone or wake the dragon? :D

The Quiet Isle is an interesting place though.  A place of salt and smoke; so I do think the repentant are reborn there.  The Hound is dead but Sandor the gravedigger lives having been shorn of his previous life and identity.  He is a burned man and marked by R'hllor so I don't think the gods are done with him.  He might even be one of Rhaegar's rubies washed up on the Isle and in Elder Brother's mind; a personification of one of the seven.  Specifically, the Stranger given his association with Arya and the name he gives his horse.    

While all of those are metaphors. Keep in mind the vision Bran has of the stone man

A Game of Thrones - Bran III

He looked south, and saw the great blue-green rush of the Trident. He saw his father pleading with the king, his face etched with grief. He saw Sansa crying herself to sleep at night, and he saw Arya watching in silence and holding her secrets hard in her heart. There were shadows all around them. One shadow was dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood

Im sure there is more symbolism for him im missing off the top of my head but im sure it's probably there.

Id be surprised if Brienne isn't one either

8 minutes ago, AlaskanSandman said:

While all of those are metaphors. Keep in mind the vision Bran has of the stone man

Im sure there is more symbolism for him im missing off the top of my head but im sure it's probably there.

Id be surprised if Brienne isn't one either

During Bran's visions, he looks at various places in Westeros and Essos.  The Stone Giant may well represent Braavos and the House of Black and White.  The stone giants stands over the shadow of the Hound. 

A Game of Thrones - Bran III

He looked south, and saw the great blue-green rush of the Trident. He saw his father pleading with the king, his face etched with grief. He saw Sansa crying herself to sleep at night, and he saw Arya watching in silence and holding her secrets hard in her heart. There were shadows all around them. One shadow was dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.

Agree on Brienne representing the Maid.

8 minutes ago, AlaskanSandman said:

Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood

But this is LF isn't it?

3 minutes ago, LynnS said:

During Bran's visions, he looks at various places in Westeros and Essos.  The Stone Giant may well represent Braavos and the House of Black and White.  The stone giants stands over the shadow of the Hound. 

Agree on Brienne representing the Maid.

That could be too, with the Stone Giant of Braavos standing on his two sea creatures. I always took him for a Azor figure with his two (Ice) wives. 

And yea Brienne has alot in her own arch to with the Just Maid and Brienne being the Star fallen (metaphorically) in love, like the Maiden did for Galladon of Morne.

7 minutes ago, AlaskanSandman said:

It could very well be, we we're just dicussing the Titan of Braavos a lil.

Though i dont recall peter ever wearing a visor. The Mountain just sounded right to me given he uses a visor to hide his face now.

I don't think it is, since he isnt ever a big threat to the Starks. LF on the other hand... :D 

1 minute ago, AlaskanSandman said:

That could be too, with the Stone Giant of Braavos standing on his two sea creatures. I always took him for a Azor figure with his two (Ice) wives.

What is AA exactly?  Is he the sword or the one who forges the sword.  Sounds like a god who forges the warrior rather than the warrior himself. We have three attempts to forge the sword and in the current story, three or more potential warriors: Euron, Stannis, Jon and Dany.  We have a red sword, burning sword and the dawn sword.  I think whoever can claim the Dawn Sword can title themself Lightbringer.  

Melisandre seems to be about the business of making the Red Sword and Dany who actually wakes dragon from stones may be riding the burning sword.  Her association with the crones of Vaes Dothrak bowing to her might also make her the crone who carries the lantern; the one who lights the way.  Does that make her Lightbringer?

Will Jon end up the sword, the fire and the light?  According to R'hllor, Jon is his instrument and he has a burned hand to prove it.

What if someone completely unexpected claims the dawn sword - say Brienne? :D  

54 minutes ago, LynnS said:

What is AA exactly?  Is he the sword or the one who forges the sword.  Sounds like a god who forges the warrior rather than the warrior himself. We have three attempts to forge the sword and in the current story, three or more potential warriors: Euron, Stannis, Jon and Dany.  We have a red sword, burning sword and the dawn sword.  I think whoever can claim the Dawn Sword can title themself Lightbringer.  

Melisandre seems to be about the business of making the Red Sword and Dany who actually wakes dragon from stones may be riding the burning sword.  Her association with the crones of Vaes Dothrak bowing to her might also make her the crone who carries the lantern; the one who lights the way.  Does that make her Lightbringer?

Will Jon end up the sword, the fire and the light?  According to R'hllor, Jon is his instrument and he has a burned hand to prove it.

What if someone completely unexpected claims the dawn sword - say Brienne? :D  

Well jon's thing is to simply mate with Dany imo, so the actual person who wields the magic sword is likely to be Brienne. Though i dont think it's Dawn. All the symbolism of Dawn fits for a crystal sword similar to that of the Warrior's Sons badge. The Sword that gives off light is different than one that drinks it in. 

Archived