U.S. Politics: A Wolff In Sheep's Clothing

Martell Spy

24 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

A lot of people (myself included) worried that America was just too racist to elect a black man in 2008.  I was wrong - we were willing to elect him, there was just a huge portion of the country that would do everything to ensure he didn't succeed, and will never admit he was the best president we've had in decades. 

Right, there was a lot of talk about the Bradley/Wilder effect, even though it had been discredited/rendered negligible by the early 90s.

I'd vote for Oprah if she was the candidate, but as a scientist I am not a big fan of her peddling new age woo-woo BS, her promotion of Dr Phil (and I believe Dr Oz as well), and her giving Jenny McCarthy a big platform during that vaccine-autism debacle.

She would still probably be better than Trump at hiring and listening to smart advisors.

So Sherrif Joe is running for the Senate is he?  Is Bannon his manager or connected with the campaign?   'Cuz really, why would Sloppy Steve miss such an awesome opportunity to humiliate himself again?

35 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Feinstein has just released the transcript of the Fusion interview. On her own. Because she could.

It's here.

Good news for anyone who felt that we had been talking about Fire and Fury for waaay too long. We're in for another shitstorm.

Gotta love those Nasty Women!

3 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I'd vote for Oprah if she was the candidate, but as a scientist I am not a big fan of her peddling new age woo-woo BS, her promotion of Dr Phil (and I believe Dr Oz as well), and her giving Jenny McCarthy a big platform during that vaccine-autism debacle.

She would still probably be better than Trump at hiring and listening to smart advisors.

Agree 100%.

The thing right at the top of my negatives towards her is her attitude towards atheists.

She's the one that made popular the whole "how can you look at a sunset and not believe in God?" BS on her show 30 years ago and even now she really hasn't changed much in her beliefs there.

I hated how when Diana Nyad tried to explain to Oprah that you can have awe of nature and still be an atheist Oprah then said, nope, you're not an atheist then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hla3ibhUuCU

Sure, she's  :bowdown: OPRAH ,  but even she doesn't get to tell people what they are and are not.

I don't want her to change her beliefs or anything, I just want her to realize she's making some people feel very disrespected.

If she was the Dem candidate, yeah I'd vote for her, especially if it was her against agent orange, but I think I'd vote for her and, for whatever good it did, write her a letter explaining my feelings specifically on the matter.

Oh, I didn't even know about her anti-atheist stance. But it really makes no difference since I assume >50% of Americans are that way as well. As long as she doesn't legislate based on that that opinion we are all good.

I think when it comes to 'alternative medicine' there is greater potential for harm even from the best of (particularly from?) intentions, and that is where I would be most wary. She may actually try to do something in that area.

22 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Oh yes, Oprah for President by all means. Maybe Dr. Phil can be Surgeon General. What other hucksters has she elevated with her platform?

Whoever is responsible for The Secret as Secretary of State.

16 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Oh, I didn't even know about her anti-atheist stance. But it really makes no difference since I assume >50% of Americans are that way as well. As long as she doesn't legislate based on that that opinion we are all good.

It might actually in a weird way be argued it's a positive that my opinion of her is that I feel if I somehow actually had her attention I could tell her my position and she'd be thoughtful about it, considering my feelings and where I'm coming from. Whereas I feel most "real" politicians would be deaf to anything I said.

I think when it comes to 'alternative medicine' there is greater potential for harm even from the best of (particularly from?) intentions, and that is where I would be most wary. She may actually try to do something in that area.

I wonder how she feels about raw water?

I think the amount of success, fame, fortune, power Oprah has achieved has skewed her version of reality. She worked extremely hard for what she has, yes, but she also defied the odds maybe as much as the biggest lotto or poweball winners. She was able to put her mind to what she wanted and got it, so no doubt she must feel persuaded by mind over matter and spirituality arguments. I believe the good of that is that if exercised correctly it can be good for mental and emotional health, the bad of that is it can lead too far into rejecting reality. When you break your arm you need to go to a doctor and fix it, not wish it better. So yeah, I totally see the potential for harm she can do even if she has the best of intentions.

I think Ellen DeGeneres wins today on the idea of Oprah being president:

I think it's great! We'll all get a new car!

I would not and will not support Oprah for President in the Democratic primary, because I don't think she's qualified and experience matters.  However, I do think that she would be a dynamite VP.  She would be exciting in a way that VPs rarely are.  VP doesn't really have a lot of responsibilities, so if you have to learn on the fly it's unlikely she'd make any really problematic mistakes.  She is smart enough that if she had to take over for the President after a couple of years as VP, I wouldn't be particularly worried. 

Now sure, there's the possibility that she would have to take over super early and we'd have another incompetent TV president.  That would be the downside/risk.  But I think that risk is low if the President is relatively young/healthy (I'm not interested in a Sanders/Oprah ticket) and the upside of helping win the election might be worth it. 

4 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I would not and will not support Oprah for President in the Democratic primary, because I don't think she's qualified and experience matters.  However, I do think that she would be a dynamite VP.  She would be exciting in a way that VPs rarely are.  VP doesn't really have a lot of responsibilities, so if you have to learn on the fly it's unlikely she'd make any really problematic mistakes.  She is smart enough that if she had to take over for the President after a couple of years as VP, I wouldn't be particularly worried. 

Now sure, there's the possibility that she would have to take over super early and we'd have another incompetent TV president.  That would be the downside/risk.  But I think that risk is low if the President is relatively young/healthy (I'm not interested in a Sanders/Oprah ticket) and the upside of helping win the election might be worth it. 

Now that's an interesting idea. The potential downside is her overshadowing the actual nominee; however, running against Trump will be so chaotic and unpredictable I'm not sure it matters. In fact, it may actually be helpful to have another source of noise to counter Trump.

However, my early prediction for the Democratic VP is... John Kasich. In an attempted fusion ticket after his primary challenge against Trump fails. Most nominees wouldn't be on board, but Kasich has the leverage of threatening a third party run and playing spoiler. 

Archived