U.S. Politics: A Wolff In Sheep's Clothing

Martell Spy

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

However, my early prediction for the Democratic VP is... John Kasich. In an attempted fusion ticket after his primary challenge against Trump fails. Most nominees wouldn't be on board, but Kasich has the leverage of threatening a third party run and playing spoiler. 

I think John Kasich as VP would go over like a dead fish at the Democratic Convention.  I think he would depress turnout amongst liberals and help drive 1-2% of the voting populace to the Green Party.  I also doubt that very many midwestern voters are going to "swing" to the Dems based on Kasich as VP.  I think that there's an incentive to pick a moderate, middle America Democrat as VP, someone like Hickenlooper or Bullock or Klobochar.  I see very little benefit in picking a Republican, particularly when even "moderates" like Kasich are really conservative on a lot of issues (abortion, taxes, social welfare, etc). 

14 minutes ago, Fez said:

However, my early prediction for the Democratic VP is... John Kasich. In an attempted fusion ticket after his primary challenge against Trump fails. Most nominees wouldn't be on board, but Kasich has the leverage of threatening a third party run and playing spoiler. 

Why does the potential of a Kasich 3rd party run make him a more appealing running mate for a Dem? If Kasich announced he wanted to run as an Independent, with Trump as the GOP nominee, I would run to get him the filing papers.

22 hours ago, WinterFox said:

Fuck it, I'm running for president now too. I'm only twenty-five next year (I think) but since we're throwing aside all requirements to serve anyway! 

Gonna be honest, I think we're kind of reaching the apex of where this political rollercoaster can go before it flies of the rails forever. I don't think the Republic survives another TV president, it doesn't look like it's going to survive the current one, without descending into something truly horrible to contemplate.

This is a crucial moment here, folks. The next Democratic leaders need to step up time fucking now. And I'm not talking about the left, I'm talking about anyone who is willing to actually serve the country and do the right thing. Holy shit, people. 

Whither yon Pollyanna?

2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Why does the potential of a Kasich 3rd party run make him a more appealing running mate for a Dem? If Kasich announced he wanted to run as an Independent, with Trump as the GOP nominee, I would run to get him the filing papers.

I agree with this too.  While I'm sure Kasich would pull some NeverTrumpers who would might vote Dem, by all accounts there aren't actually that many of those (or Clinton would have won).  Kasich would also presumably pull some Republican voters, since he is, ya know, a Republican.  Particularly in Ohio, if he could pull in just 10%, the Dems probably have it in the bag.

2 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I agree with this too.  While I'm sure Kasich would pull some NeverTrumpers who would might vote Dem, by all accounts there aren't actually that many of those (or Clinton would have won).  Kasich would also presumably pull some Republican voters, since he is, ya know, a Republican.  Particularly in Ohio, if he could pull in just 10%, the Dems probably have it in the bag.

And now you're suggesting that I should sell my ladybits to John Fucking Kasich?

Get the fuck outta town with that one, Maith. There's no way that asshole is on any ticket I'm sending in.

And all for Ohio? Get your mind outta the gutter man.

1 minute ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

And now you're suggesting that I should sell my ladybits to John Fucking Kasich?

Get the fuck outta town with that one, Maith. There's no way that asshole is on any ticket I'm sending in.

Yeah. That's a sure-fire way to kill Dem turn out.

I would also like to note it is disappointing that the Democrats don't have a stronger bench of Latino officeholders.  I feel like Trump has done everything he can to alienate Latinos, whether it is Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Salvadorans or South Americans.  And yet the Democrats can't exactly point to their many important Latino Democrats.  The list is basically Sonya Sotomayor (who isn't technically a Democrat), Tom Perez, and then...that's the whole list.  Some Congresspeople, I guess, but that's small potatoes.  No major Governorships since Richardson. 

Hell, if we're being honest, the Republicans have much more high-profile Latinos in Rubio, Sandoval, Martinez, and Cruz.  It's a bit disappointing, and I hope the Dems change that soon. 

Look, Maith. I love ya man. I adore you, and I hate seeing you suffer under the tyranny of Dan Snyder.

But fuck me with a sandpaper dildo dude, why would you even say some shit like that? Do I come into your foyer and start detailing the weird relationship I have with the butter sculpture I created of Kylo Ren and Jessie Pinkman making beautiful love? Maybe.

But still man.

7 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I'm arguing that a Kasich third party would not be a problem (and potentially be a benefit) for Democrats.  I think Kasich would be a terrible VP choice for the Dems.  Fez was the one who brought that up, and I disagreed with him.

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

I'm arguing that a Kasich third party would not be a problem (and potentially be a benefit) for Democrats.  I think Kasich would be a terrible VP choice for the Dems.  Fez was the one who brought that up, and I disagreed with him.

Jesus. Baby.

You know you can't let me get going like that. You gotta head me off before I hit the post button.

Yeah, 3rd Kasich is good in Presidential and I wouldn't complain. But Jace wonders if it would ultimately be good in local races

Anyone else still have this regular thing where, in the midst of thinking about the latest political scandal/gaffe/hubris, you run smack into that part of your brain that still refuses to acknowledge that Donald Trump, President of the United States actually happened?

44 minutes ago, Fez said:

Now that's an interesting idea. The potential downside is her overshadowing the actual nominee; however, running against Trump will be so chaotic and unpredictable I'm not sure it matters. In fact, it may actually be helpful to have another source of noise to counter Trump.

Wow, and I thought I was pessimistic.  So pretty much in your view the Dem party isn't just done, they will actively dig their own grave and then bury themselves.  I guess I sort of hoped we'd go down fighting.

3 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Jesus. Baby.

You know you can't let me get going like that. You gotta head me off before I hit the post button.

Yeah, 3rd Kasich is good in Presidential and I wouldn't complain. But Jace wonders if it would ultimately be good in local races

I guess my post was kind of unclear, but I thought my previous post where I said Kasich was a bad idea and would depress Dem turnout was pretty unequivocal.  Plus the context of responding to Dante (who also didn't support Kasich for Dem VP) with "I agree with this too" would indicate that I'm not supporting Kasich. 

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I guess my post was kind of unclear, but I thought my previous post where I said Kasich was a bad idea and would depress Dem turnout was pretty unequivocal.  Plus the context of responding to Dante (who also didn't support Kasich for Dem VP) with "I agree with this too" would indicate that I'm not supporting Kasich. 

Would you please stop. We get it, you love Kasich. All Kasich, all day. Kasich for VP, Kasich for President, Kasich for Consul, Kasich for Emperor. Did I leave anything out, or can we move on with your unequivocal support of John Richard Kasich being completely understood?

Archived