U.S. Politics: A Wolff In Sheep's Clothing

Martell Spy

16 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

“In his own house!

in his own bed!”

Hamilton esque sex scandal for republican Missouri governor just broke, except in a classic republican-dude twist, the governor tied up his (consensual) partner naked, blindfolded her, but then took a (nonconsensual) picture of her, then threatened to blackmail her with the picture if she ever exposed the affair. Her now ex husband recorded her confessing all the above and apparently is the source of the affair and blackmail attempt. 

http://www.kmov.com/story/37240190/governor-greitens-admits-to-extramarital-affair

He was the second youngest governor in the country behind the dynasty/nepotism  enabled Sununu.

special election on the horizon for governor?

Holy shit, the things these men did to this woman without her consent!  

I'm not sure the affair was 100% consensual.  She says she was scared of some of his actions, then he took a picture of her and used it as blackmail.  Anything that happens after that has some serious consent issues going on.  Then her husband later records their conversation without her knowing.  Then he releases it to the public!  For fuck's sake.  

In case someone wants to come in and say "but but she had an affair".  Go away.  Doing something wrong doesn't make these nonconsensual behaviors from these men somehow ok. 

I had a idle thought today about Trumps mental stability and him testifying before Mueller's investigators.

Ok, Trump, in his bombastic blundering way, is trying to squelch debate of his mental fitness to be POTUS.  No way in hell would he ever agree to a psychiatric interview.

But, should he testify before Mueller's group, is there any reason there couldn't be a row of Shrinks parked on a bench at the back of the room, perhaps not identified as such?  Or any reason Mueller's team couldn't field a selection of questions formulated by said Shrinks?  Then note the Shrinks evaluations in the official proceedings?

Conservatives would probably scream 'Entrapment!' at the top of their lungs at such an escapade, though.

The ex-husband's rationale for releasing the recording:

As for the motivation of the ex-husband in speaking on-camera, he told News 4 “I am not after anything, I am not a part of politics, I am not a part of anything, I just want to move on with my life.”

The man says he didn't want to speak out before, but says recently, he's been contacted by law enforcement authorities and members of the media. He says he wanted to get in front of a story he believed would come out eventually and he wants to protect his family.

“Something happened, churned this, and had people hounding me, even leaving a voicemail on my daughter's phone - when that happened, everything changed,” said the ex-husband.

K.  But, um, why did you make the recording in the first place?

Anyway, so yeah, while I don't know Missouri's procedure for resigned governors, my first assumption would be there'll be a special election this November - when Claire McCaskill will be on the ballot in a tough race.  Hmm.

3 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Probably. Unless things have changed in the last two years, current follow up for people leaving combat zones consists of one immediate appointment, and then 3 f/u appointments over the next few months (and if you separate before the completion of said appointments you are not seen)

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jan/10/trump-offshore-drilling-florida-ryan-zinke

A plan to allow drilling along all coastal states has now decided to exempt Florida.  

On Wednesday, Ryan Zinke, the interior secretary, revealed that Florida would be exempt from the massive new drilling plan announced earlier in January, which vastly expands offshore areas for leasing to fossil fuel companies in the Arctic, Atlantic and Pacific oceans and the Gulf of Mexico.

Zinke said that drilling would not be permitted off Florida’s coast as a result of pressure from Rick Scott, the state’s Republican governor. Several other governors, including Republicans, reacted furiously. More flippantly, the film-maker Michael Moore had already threatened to launch a “monster” fracking operation off the coast of Mar-a-Lago, the site of Donald Trump’s Florida resort.

In a statement, Zinke said he had “witnessed Governor Scott’s leadership through hurricane season and am working closely with him on Everglades restoration”.

“He is a straightforward leader that can be trusted,” Zinke said. “President Trump has directed me to rebuild our offshore oil and gas program in a manner that supports our national energy policy and also takes into consideration the local and state voice. I support the governor’s position that Florida is unique and its coasts are heavily reliant on tourism as an economic driver.”

Because they realize that killin Florida fast, while infinitely good for the nation, destroys all chances of them getting to the white house again.  Oh, and apparently they need Rick Scott in the Senate, so I guess this exemption will be removed if he's elected, or perhaps even if he's not.  

21 hours ago, Stego said:

Compromise is literally the only path to victory, unless you are advocating violence.

So quick to pull the knife, Ini. 

It's literally impossible. Republicans won't allow it. Have you already forgotten the Obama years, when Republicans voted in lockstep to block everything Obama proposed, no matter how good an idea it was, simply because Obama proposed it? "Compromise" in the modern era always means Republicans move further to the right and Democrats go along with it. No matter how obstructionist the right is, the left are always expected to play ball.

And that obstructionism was rewarded with unified control of government. So.

Bannon’s political fall reveals a major weakness in his brand of right-wing populism: the overwhelming power wealthy donors have over the right-wing media and the Republican Party

Steve Bannon’s Fatal Flaw
The former Trump adviser and ex-CEO of Breitbart forgot that his political influence exists at the whim of wealthy donors.

https://newrepublic.com/article/146576/steve-bannons-fatal-flaw

Hopefully we can stop hearing how Republicans are taking on the elites. Right wing billionaires just cut off Bannon's balls. It's pretty clear who owns the Republican party.

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Trump's press conference today with the Prime Minister of Norway was kind of funny (or at least the bit of it I saw). They clearly don't like each other. It was a frosty affair with a lot of subtle, and not so subtle, jabs going back and forth. The best was when she boasted about Norway's efforts to combat climate change, then she thanked US businesses work helping to achieve the goals of the Paris Agreement. She also made sure to point out that her government did a very thorough investigation to make sure Russia didn't hack their elections.

Are you going to make us guess as to which participant was subtle in their jibes?

Elsewhere (apologies if this has been posted already) Trump crashes the irony meter:

39 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Is the President protected from libel suits? Because if he had his way, then I think he would provide fodder for litigation on a daily basis.

I doubt it.  Pres. Clinton was sued while in office and attempted to make that argument.  He lost and the suit proceded.

55 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Steve Bannon’s Fatal Flaw
The former Trump adviser and ex-CEO of Breitbart forgot that his political influence exists at the whim of wealthy donors.

https://newrepublic.com/article/146576/steve-bannons-fatal-flaw

Hopefully we can stop hearing how Republicans are taking on the elites. Right wing billionaires just cut off Bannon's balls. It's pretty clear who owns the Republican party.

Will Bannon pen a disgruntled 'tell all' about Trump and co?  Might be an interesting compare and contrast to Fire and Fury.  I would read that, but only from the library so I wouldn't give Bannon any of my money.   

5 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Because they realize that killin Florida fast, while infinitely good for the nation, destroys all chances of them getting to the white house again.  Oh, and apparently they need Rick Scott in the Senate, so I guess this exemption will be removed if he's elected, or perhaps even if he's not.  

More likely it's because Trump owns oceanfront property in Florida. However, it now means every other state is asking for an exemption as well, and if they don't get it there will be probably be lawsuits. Which will probably work, since it doesn't seem like any proper regulatory process was used to issue the exemption. And there will end up being an injunction against the entire decision, unless the Florida exemption is revoked.

Of course, since states have jurisdiction for three miles off their coasts (except Florida and Texas which have nine miles) they can block most drilling anyway by refusing permits for pipes or docking for tankers. So the only drilling would be more than three miles away that ships the oil to a different coastal state. Probably not too many oil companies will find that very appealing, and will stick to states that okay with it.

6 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Anyway, so yeah, while I don't know Missouri's procedure for resigned governors, my first assumption would be there'll be a special election this November - when Claire McCaskill will be on the ballot in a tough race.  Hmm.

Um wow.

Also, does Missouri have a Lt. Gov.?  Isn't that the point of the Lt. Gov.?

7 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'm not sure the affair was 100% consensual.  She says she was scared of some of his actions, then he took a picture of her and used it as blackmail.  Anything that happens after that has some serious consent issues going on.  Then her husband later records their conversation without her knowing.  Then he releases it to the public!  For fuck's sake.

I agree that the “affair” sounds rapey as fuck.  Especially any contact that occurred after the blackmailing incident.  But Missouri is a one party consent state as far as recording conversations goes, so…I don’t know.  I can see a variety of reasons for the husband wanting to record her confession.  Ranging from bad (shaming and humiliating her), to meh (wanting proof of the affair for divorce proceedings), to totally understandable (HOLY FUCK the Governor raped and blackmailed my wife!). 

This guy sat on the recording for 2 1/2 years, including 1 1/2 years after the divorce, and I don’t see anything about his statements, or the timing of the release, that suggests anything like spite or retribution towards his ex.   Honestly it sounds more like him respecting her privacy until he started feeling threatened by law enforcement and the media.

And if I felt that after raping and extorting my wife the most powerful man in my state was trying to intimidate me with threats by law enforcement and phone calls to my daughter, then frankly, fuck recording consent, fuck accusations of political bias, and fuck any shame my ex might feel over the affair.  My first concern would be to shine as much light on the situation as I could before this asshole escalates his attempt to bully me into silence with violence or extrajudicial retribution towards me or my family.

7 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Are we sure Greiten is going anywhere? Doesn't he just have to pray really hard and blame it on gay marriages damaging the sacrament of marriage, and Republican shitsuckers will take him back?

1 hour ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Um wow.

Also, does Missouri have a Lt. Gov.?  Isn't that the point of the Lt. Gov.?

Yes, Missouri has a Lt. Governor:

https://ltgov.mo.gov/

So I am also mystified as to why anyone thinks the governor resigning would result in a special election. The Lt. Governor will just become the governor.

Archived