U.S. Politics: A Wolff In Sheep's Clothing

Martell Spy

8 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Because that's what corporations do. But it's likely to 1) Suck Up To Trump, or 2) Show How Awesome Corporate Tax Cuts are, it's not like the CEO wouldn't have a vested interested in doing that or anything or a combination of both.

Anyway, in theory, these tax cuts are supposed to increase the capital stock which is then supposed to raise the productivity of workers, which in turn is supposed to lead to higher wages. It's insanely dumb and dishonest, at this juncture, to claim these tax cuts have already spurred so much capital investment that it is now leading to higher worker productivity and wages.

I was being sarcastic..... :P

23 hours ago, Mexal said:

Racist in chief.

Probably for the same reason that many of our ancestors left shit hole countries to come here.

What a dumb ass.

Here’s conservative logic.

America is the best nation Earth. It’s a shining city upon a hill. A beacon of freedom. An example to the rest of the world.

And then:

Golly, why do people want to come here?

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

Racist in chief.

Well. It's not going to hurt him with his base. I bet many would agree a country where the economy, the environment, the education system, the living conditions etc are horrific, as they are in many 3rd world countries, could be described as a shithole. It's the unfortunate comment about getting more immigrants from Norway that tags him for what he is, but I have heard lots of people bemoan the fact there aren't enough immigrants from Europe, so that won't hurt him either.

This is who he is, for crying out loud. His first speech in his campaign was about murderers and rapists from Mexico.

But who the hell wants to leave a European country where there's a good education systems (free in many countries!), great health care, democracy, good living conditions, clean water etc etc etc for the USA these days? Not in the numbers that want to come from other places in the world.

eta: very very presidential, amirite, soooooooo presidential, more presidential than any other president in history!

23 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

But who the hell wants to leave a European country where there's a good education systems (free in many countries!), great health care, democracy, good living conditions, clean water etc etc etc for the USA these days? 

Maybe he's hoping the Republican Party gets elected in these countries.

22 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

who the hell wants to leave a European country where there's a good education systems (free in many countries!), great health care, democracy, good living conditions, clean water etc etc etc for the USA these days? Not in the numbers that want to come from other places in the world.

Probably nobody unless you desperately want to work in certain industries like maybe finance or entertainment.  That people across the globe are not envious of living here is something that a lot of Americans simply do not understand.

45 minutes ago, S John said:

Probably nobody unless you desperately want to work in certain industries like maybe finance or entertainment.  That people across the globe are not envious of living here is something that a lot of Americans simply do not understand.

If you're rich, I think America is probably still a pretty appealing place to live; especially if you're interested in some of the amenities that are easier/cheaper to get in America than elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

but I have heard lots of people bemoan the fact there aren't enough immigrants from Europe, so that won't hurt him either.

I believe he's said that himself. I think he did so right before his campaign started.

This is who he is, for crying out loud. His first speech in his campaign was about murderers and rapists from Mexico.

Yup. And sadly, his polling numbers jumped in the wake of those remarks.

1 hour ago, S John said:

What the average American thinks the rest of the world thinks of the US is grossly out of line with what the rest of the world actually thinks about the US. It's so bizarre, but then again, not surprising. So many people parrot the line that "Americans the greatest country in the world," who've never left the country. 

2 hours ago, S John said:

If you only speak English and you like hot climates your choices are pretty much limited to Australia and southern USA (Incl Southern California, so libs and cons have places they can feel welcome). But that's mostly what I can come up with. 

54 minutes ago, Inigima said:

Every time I think he's hit bottom. Disgusting. I'm ashamed.

I think I have posted 5 or 6 times before that I thought he had stopped being able to surprise me. The comment itself does not surprise me, the fact that he said it in front of members of both parties does. Nor does the fact that Republican commentators are saying his comment was not racist and he is not a racist.

I also heard today that unemployment among black people in the US is at historic lows, largely attributed to changes in laws President Obama had put into place, and that Trump has taken credit for the number, saying that he told black people they should take a chance on him. The first story shows has a chart showing when the trend started and the steady drop over 6 years. The next story quotes Trump.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/05/black-unemployment-rate-falls-to-record-low.html

https://nypost.com/2018/01/10/trump-takes-credit-for-low-unemployment-rate-among-blacks/

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I believe he's said that himself. I think he did so right before his campaign started.

Yup. And sadly, his polling numbers jumped in the wake of those remarks.

My co-worker read those remarks to me and I must say I was truly nauseated by them and felt ashamed to be an American.

5 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

Once again, tell us all about the parable of Swabian Housewives. ~~~snip~~~ Or how you were oh so worried about Poor Savers!!!

Wait, wouldn't Swabian Housewives be thrifty persons who would save money?  Wouldn't they cancel out the Poor Savers?  Or would conservative sort of people not notice these clashing memes and just carryon anyway?   

23 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I also heard today that unemployment among black people in the US is at historic lows, largely attributed to changes in laws President Obama had put into place, and that Trump has taken credit for the number, saying that he told black people they should take a chance on him. The first story shows has a chart showing when the trend started and the steady drop over 6 years. The next story quotes Trump.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/05/black-unemployment-rate-falls-to-record-low.html

https://nypost.com/2018/01/10/trump-takes-credit-for-low-unemployment-rate-among-blacks/

One of the reasons for my Keynesianism and being a full employment hawk, and often railing about it, is it helps those who face disadvantages. Aggressive aggregate demand policies certainly won't solve every problem, related to race, sexism, and so forth or other structural matters. Other policies will be needed to help along those things.

But, pursuing aggressive demand side polices is very low hanging fruit and effective. And it shouldn't be hard. But, the Republican party made it hard for 10 years. It's good to see unemployment falling for African Americans and other minority groups. But that process took way, way, too long. That it has fallen has been primarily because the Federal Reserve has been able to keep the policy rate low for a long time. But, the fact the policy rate was so low for a long time, was an indication that more needed to be done. But the "more needed to be done" was impossible because of, you guessed it, The Republican Party.

And now for Trump to waltz into office and take credit for this a load of horseshit. More so because the party he now leads delayed quicker recovery with it's effing stupidity.

Archived