Unpopular Opinions?

Lady Anna

I think Dance is the best book in the series.

My least favourite chapters are the Kingslanding chapters throughout all the books.

I think some theories will never be explained, and even if they're confirmed to the reader they won't have any impact on the characters and their actions at all.

1 hour ago, Lady Anna said:

My least favourite chapters are the Kingslanding chapters throughout all the books.

I think some theories will never be explained, and even if they're confirmed to the reader they won't have any impact on the characters and their actions at all.

R+l=J is legit 

1 hour ago, Lady Anna said:

I loved ADWD because a lot of the action took place in Essos.  I enjoyed Dany's chapters in Slaver's Bay, Tyrion's in Volantis, and Illyrio's on the Valyrian road.  I am not a fan of Arya but her most readable chapters are in this book in Braavos.  The world just got bigger and it's an antidote for the boredom of the North and the Riverlands.

1) the books are not coming out any slower than they "should" be if you look at the relative legnth of time between the previous two books. If the next one's not out by 2021 then it's time to start getting concerned

2) Sansa is one of the best characters in the series

3) AFFC is one of the best books in the series

4) the 3EC is the Great Other (or at least what caused the myth of the great other to exist)

5) GRRM originally envisioned Planetos as world in his 1,000 worlds series, but after it became popular he decided to sever any ties for fears of dragging the main series down if people heard "its fantasy but it takes place in a sci-fi universe". Similarities between the 1000 worlds and AGOT are due to either this connection or they are ongoing themes in GRRM's work in general

6) GRRM's original plan was going to involve Dany and Jon (assuming he is a secret Targ) going to War with each other as the second book in the series (thats why its called the Dance of the Dragons).

7) In 20 years we'll all look back and remark on how silly we were to think the books would never be finished

8) The last two books will be 2 volumes each (thus the joke will be that technically there are 7 books, but 9 volumes, just like they say there are 7 kingdoms, but actually there are 9)

9) The world map, while a cool idea in theory, is held back by the fact that GRRM specifically made it to fit nicely inside of the books. Once the series is done I hope they completely revamp the world map and make it look less blocky 

10) the Five forts will play a significant role in the story

11) Dany will at least attempt to get the people of Yi Ti on her side to invade Westeros

12) The squishers will not play a significant role in the story

13) Patchface will not play a significant role in the story

33 minutes ago, Fishb20 said:

8) The last two books will be 2 volumes each (thus the joke will be that technically there are 7 books, but 9 volumes, just like they say there are 7 kingdoms, but actually there are 9)

I actualy believe (want to believe) in this. I simply can t imagine how he would fit all the povs of affc and adwd in a book and still have a decent number of chaps for each pov and in adition he still has several chaps from adwd that weren t published...

And given the fiasco that was to publish affc and adwd separately (because he took to much time to write adwd) I would understand if he wants to publish the 2 volumes together this time.

41 minutes ago, Fishb20 said:

I'm sorry, but there are 9 kingdoms? Who are the other two?

1.  Joffrey was killed by conspiracy between Littlefinger, Dontos and Sansa. The Tyrells had nothing to do with it.

2.  Aegon is the son of Rhaegar and Elia AND there is proof that this is true AND this proof will be revealed in future books.

3.  AFFC is the best book so far.

4.  Varys is doing what he is doing based on religious beliefs.

13 hours ago, Lady Anna said:

Me too, I will add that I think it is the best written book, the most complex, and the most thought provoking. 

8 hours ago, Fishb20 said:

1) the books are not coming out any slower than they "should" be if you look at the relative legnth of time between the previous two books. If the next one's not out by 2021 then it's time to start getting concerned

3) AFFC is one of the best books in the series

I agree with your first point whole heartedly. AFFC is not my favorite book, mostly because the ironborn chapters, but it is severely underrated by the fan community in my opinion. There is a Brienne chapter where they talk about Broken Men which is perhaps my favorite monologue in the whole series. I also love Brienne as a PoV, which I know is unpopular as well. (In fact, she is my second favorite after Catelyn)

7 hours ago, Vaedys Targaryen said:

I'm sorry, but there are 9 kingdoms? Who are the other two?

The Riverlands and the Crownlands. Neither were Kingdoms at the time of Aegon's conquest. The Riverlands was a Kingdom at several times in history, but was not one of the 7 Kingdoms at conquest. As well, the Crownlands clearly have a seperate culture from the Riverlands and Stormlands, I think very much making them a ninth Kingdom at this point. 

My other unpopular opinions not shared above :

1. Tyrion is overrated. Also, he is a rapist and mostly a dick to everyone. He is super priveleged but acts like he has the worst life ever. 

2. My favorite character is Catelyn Tully Stark. I don't think the war is her fault. I don't think the North lost because of her (and Robb and Edmure would have benifited from listening to her more). I think she was an excellent wife and husband. 

3. I know I said it above, ADWD is really my favorite book. I love the Mereen chapters. I like the Tyrion chapters despite thinking he is an awful person. (I also love the Theon chapters, but I think that is a popular opinion)

4. Renly would have made the best King or Queen from amongst the possible King and Queens we meet. He was politcally savy, likeable, and had the love of the common people as well. 

5. Stannis, although improving, is not the great man many in the fandom think he is. He makes big mistakes and his killing of Renly is frankly, immoral and horrible. He is growing as a character, but he started as a boring harsh man, who had a lot, a lot, of flaws. 

6. Petyr Baelish is not all that smart. He is probably great with money, but his political moves are mostly random gambles. He is simply a deceivious scumbag. He deserves zero praise. I also think GRRM protects him a little. I really feel like it is shocking no one has killed him at this point.

7. Arianne Martell is alright. Her chapters are enjoyable. So are Barristan Selmy's, Quentyn Martell's, and Cersei's (I hate her, but I enjoy her chapters). 

8 hours ago, Fishb20 said:

Hahahahaha you caught that to? I have a whole theory on those 9 kingdoms, the curse and the wall. Which has always made me think of the comment by his publishers on how many books there should be based on how many kingdoms there actually is.

Spoiler

And how many season's of the thing that must not be named?? 9.

1. Sansa >>>>>>> Arya
  2. There is no Azor Ahai Reborn, no PTWP.  The prophecies do not need to be fulfilled by one or two people.  They may motivate character actions but are not real.
  3. The Others are the simple evil terminators they've thus far been shown to be.  There is no complexity with them, their motivation is just to kill.

1 hour ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:
  1. Sansa >>>>>>> Arya
  2. There is no Azor Ahai Reborn, no PTWP.  The prophecies do not need to be fulfilled by one or two people.  They may motivate character actions but are not real.
  3. The Others are the simple evil terminators they've thus far been shown to be.  There is no complexity with them, their motivation is just to kill.

Both Sansa and Arya are interesting characters, that show incredible growth and endearing story arcs throughout the books. They are exceptional young women. I think they both deserve tons of respect. I love Arya more, though. I love Arya the most. She's my favourite character on a personal level (I truly identify with her). 

But points 2 and 3, seriously, I thought I was the only one!! I agree 100% with them and would be really disappointed if we are proven wrong. Specially point 2.

I utterly love whatever book I'm reading.   I consider TPATQ an excellent tale.  The more I reread and study and chat the more I am convinced of all the things I was first told: Ned was great, R+L=J.  I don't believe the COTF made the Others.  The Nights Watch vows were changed.  Theon and Jamie have paid.  

4 minutes ago, The Ned's Little Girl said:

The postings so far seem to be "opinions I hold that are unpopular with the community".

Thanks! maybe put that on first post so lower IQ people like myself will know what to post.

So for the post:

1.) That LF-Tyrell plot to kill Joffrey makes no sense.

2.) Dany is a bad ruler.

3.)

14 hours ago, Fishb20 said:

the books are not coming out any slower than they "should" be if you look at the relative legnth of time between the previous two books. If the next one's not out by 2021 then it's time to start getting concerned

4.) Jon is not Jesus who will defeat "evil" White Walkers.

47 minutes ago, Lady Dacey said:

Both Sansa and Arya are interesting characters, that show incredible growth and endearing story arcs throughout the books. They are exceptional young women. I think they both deserve tons of respect. I love Arya more, though. I love Arya the most. She's my favourite character on a personal level (I truly identify with her). 

But points 2 and 3, seriously, I thought I was the only one!! I agree 100% with them and would be really disappointed if we are proven wrong. Specially point 2.

I like Arya too, but Sansa from ACOK onward was someone I really admired for how she persevered under brutal circumstances.  I've always found Sansa's POV chapters to be far more interesting as I really didn't care much for her time in the riverlands and I really don't like the faceless men.

And yes, if we find out that this really was a messianic hero story where Danerys and/or Jon is revealed to be AAR or TPTWP I am going to be sooooooo frustrated.  I actually do sort of hope that the Others have more depth to them, but I don't see it happening.

Archived