Unpopular Opinions?

Lady Anna

17 hours ago, Fishb20 said:

1) the books are not coming out any slower than they "should" be if you look at the relative legnth of time between the previous two books. If the next one's not out by 2021 then it's time to start getting concerned

OK. In 2005, he wrote, actually put in print, "Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Stannis and Melisandre, Davos Seaworth, and all the rest of the characters you love or love to hate will be along next year (I devoutly hope) in A Dance with Dragons". Well, it wasn't 2006, it was 2011.

In January 2016, he notablogged about TWOW: "If I could deliver WINDS OF WINTER by the end of the year [2015], they told me, they could still get it our before the end of March. I was immensely relieved. I had two whole extra months! I could make that, certainly. August was an insane month, too much travel, too many other obligations... but I'd have September, October, and now November and December as well. Once again I was confident I could do it". That was two years ago, and the book still hasn't been finished.

But let's pretend nothing's off schedule. ;)

19 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

OK. In 2005, he wrote, actually put in print, "Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Stannis and Melisandre, Davos Seaworth, and all the rest of the characters you love or love to hate will be along next year (I devoutly hope) in A Dance with Dragons". Well, it wasn't 2006, it was 2011.

In January 2016, he notablogged about TWOW: "If I could deliver WINDS OF WINTER by the end of the year [2015], they told me, they could still get it our before the end of March. I was immensely relieved. I had two whole extra months! I could make that, certainly. August was an insane month, too much travel, too many other obligations... but I'd have September, October, and now November and December as well. Once again I was confident I could do it". That was two years ago, and the book still hasn't been finished.

But let's pretend nothing's off schedule. ;)

That is one of the things I will never understand. How can someone think he will finish the book in 2 months and 2 years and a half later there is still no book.

But I honestly believe in a book with 2 vols being published in the next 6 months or so. Otherwise the book won t come out before 2021 and by that time the book story will lose a lot of fans. people will want books about the prequels instead of asoiaf...

On the other hand this is a good year to publish the book. It can keep the hype for the ending of the tv series next year...

4 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

I utterly love whatever book I'm reading.   I consider TPATQ an excellent tale.  The more I reread and study and chat the more I am convinced of all the things I was first told: Ned was great, R+L=J.  I don't believe the COTF made the Others.  The Nights Watch vows were changed.  Theon and Jamie have paid.  

I think all books are great to reread. In the first Reading there are always povs that you want to jump because they aren t as interesting as others. And I also don t believe that the cotf as a whole created the others. However if some vindictive cotf were part of it...

6 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:
  2. The Others are the simple evil terminators they've thus far been shown to be.  There is no complexity with them, their motivation is just to kill.

The others might only want to kill and I am ok with that. But they can t be simple... They must be smart and have plans to invade westeros! Even the books show they have planned to kill the LC in AGoT and the bodies jon put in the Wall remained dead.

Tyrion is a nasty piece of work. A classic jerk. 

Robert wasn't a good king, and he wasn't a very good man also. Saying that the crippled son of his "best friend" should be put down like a mad dog says something about him. 

Brotherhood's members should've picked a side in the war. 

Sansa is after all, a much stronger person than she gets credit for.

Not a big fan of Asha and Arya. Liking their POV's on the other hand.

Catelyn was one of the sanest people in the story. The woman tried all she could. 

On 9 January 2018 at 8:13 AM, Lady Anna said:

I think some theories will never be explained, and even if they're confirmed to the reader they won't have any impact on the characters and their actions at all.

I hope to God many are not explained or explicitly confirmed. Well I assume they won't be anyway. Can't end the series with proclamations for readers unable to make correct inferences. How flat that would be.

I suppose there may be a few with a drum roll and a 'guess what, x is really x!" but hopefully not too many.

Hardhome is not volcanic.  The scorched trees and fire seen from the Wall 600 years ago was dragon support for a Valyrian slaving operation, who had just started setting up shop on Dragonstone.  However....the theory that Hardhome event was volcanic is passionately defended.

On 1/8/2018 at 4:13 PM, Lady Anna said:

I think Dance is the best book in the series.

My least favourite chapters are the Kingslanding chapters throughout all the books.

I think some theories will never be explained, and even if they're confirmed to the reader they won't have any impact on the characters and their actions at all.

All of the books are good, except A Feast for Crows. 

Theories?  The people in the novels do not make theories.  What they have is belief. 

Prophecies can have an impact in the story.  The ones from the House of the Undying have been accurate.  The slaves crying out to Dany happened not long after.  Azor Ahai happened already when Dany "woke dragons from stone." 

10 hours ago, Tygett Lannister said:

Are we writing opinions we think community dislikes or we personally dislike?

I don't know what other people are saying. I was saying theories that I feel are unpopular. For instance, the theory that Aegon is Rhaegar and Elia's son, there is proof available in the story, this proof will be revealed and Aegon will end up on the Iron Throne at the end is just one of five ways I think the story could go. However, it is the one that makes people's head explode.

2 hours ago, Bobity. said:

Hardhome is not volcanic.  The scorched trees and fire seen from the Wall 600 years ago was dragon support for a Valyrian slaving operation, who had just started setting up shop on Dragonstone.  However....the theory that Hardhome event was volcanic is passionately defended.

This is a very interesting and unpopular theory. I have never heard of it before

• 1 month later...

1. I like the idea that several main characters are Aerys' bastards, like Cersei, Jaime and Euron, but not Tyrion, he has to be a Lannister.

2. Sansa is the best character after all.

3. Prophecies suck, and are hopefully just lies

4. i hate the idea of a war with the others

5. i hate it that the others are portraied as overall evil.

6. R+L=J&D

Archived