Unpopular Opinions?

Lady Anna

I really can't hold it in any more.

I know that this will lead to a backlash but I just have to get this off my chest. Otherwise it'll keep tearing me up.

I don't care how unpopular it is as an opinion, it's just too much to keep to myself any more.

You know Joffrey? I didn't like him.

15 minutes ago, Yukle said:

I know that this will lead to a backlash but I just have to get this off my chest. Otherwise it'll keep tearing me up.

I don't care how unpopular it is as an opinion, it's just too much to keep to myself any more.

:lol:

Now one that will be proper unpopular:

Hoster Tully was an arsehole, but the Blackfish is an even bigger one. 

Truth be told, Edmure is the only Tully I sympathise with; at least he was actually trying to save all the smallfolk that turned up at RR. 

22 minutes ago, Yukle said:

Shame on you. Now I will take a break to get a drink of water.

I feel sorry for the actor who portrayed Joff. Imagine the fan mail he received. The actor did a great job.

On 4/11/2018 at 8:37 PM, Dorian Martell's son said:

The house with the red door is in Braavos 

This, and your several next posts. :lol:

There's too much time between books, so everything gets picked and prodded and analysed, and then picked and prodded and overanalysed, before they get picked and prodded and really over the top analysed.

Another opinion that I've gathered isn't universally popular among the fandom: I really, really like Tyrion's chapters on the Rhoyne. Them slowly sailing down the river. We're introduced to all these seemingly bening charactets - except surly Griff, who sets Tyrion's mind working... And, aaah, Septa Lemore of the naked swimming. 

The way the river trip was described, it was lovely, langruous. I loved reading every minute of it. All the nature about them, the sand banks, even the king turtle. Only Griff could not enjoy any of it. It got seriously serious with the rewind (gods I luuuurve that bit) and the stone men. By then Tyrion had figured out who Young Griff was, or was supposed to be - the lad believed it all right. This perfect prince froze when what's what came to home, while Tyrion the dwarf, Yollo, the fool, saved his sorry princely arse.

But yeah, I really love the Rhoyne chapters. Not many readers apparently do.

1 hour ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Me too. Especially Victarion, and also Aeron. Aren't they so laughably nuts? Black humour at 11 there. 

They're crazy, interesting, well developed... people talk about how madly dysfunctional the Targs and Lannisters are, but I don't think anyone beats the Greyjoys for having a truly fucked up family. 

On 4/14/2018 at 1:33 AM, The Mother of The Others said:

The way you use the nipples on your breastplate is you line them up with your own nipples, which is the only way to know for sure if you're wearing the damn thing correctly.    65% of lords are wearing improperly adjusted breastplates , or the wrong size altogether, and are too embarrassed to say anything about it to the smith.  So when you see people make an offering to The Smith, most of them are quietly praying for an end to the pectoral bunching and chafing, which is the cause of 1/3 of all battlefield deaths.  They try to swing their arm to parry an opponent, they rip their nip, spend a moment stunned from the pain, and by then an ax has deviated their septum.  The reason this goes widely unreported is because they're dead by that point.   

Like you said. Sadly, many men's health issues go unreported because of false male pride.

Nipples on a breastplate are not useless. Macho Westerosi knights pretend otherwise. To their detriment.

I'm glad you've raised the issue, maybe now knigjts won't be too scared to speak out on this important and sore point. There's nothing to be ashamed of if your nipples don't quite line up. It's perfectly normal.

7 minutes ago, BRANDON GREYSTARK said:

The parentage of Jon Snow will never be revealed .

Hahaha! That'd be kind of fun. Imagine the decades of online debates on platforms we can't even imagine now.

But yes, that'd be a very unpopular opinion. People, fans, would want confirmation of their theories. The only thing worse than proving them wrong is not proving anything either way. And the debate goes on...

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

I agree. It wouldn't have killed Robb and Brynden to actually explain their plan. Why the hell didn't Robb tell Edmure that he wasn't meant to fend off Tywin? Why tell a man who is banner-man to a completely different lord in the Vale, but not the Lord Paramout?! He's literally the only person who needed to know.

Sure, Robb told him to stay put. But so what? All Blackfish had to do was send a raven saying, "Tywin is gonna attack you. Put up a fake fight, feint a retreat and then he can't reinforce KL. Stannis wins, we wins. Lulz. P.S. Sorry I suck so much."

11 minutes ago, Yukle said:

I agree. It wouldn't have killed Robb and Brynden to actually explain their plan. Why the hell didn't Robb tell Edmure that he wasn't meant to fend off Tywin? Why tell a man who is banner-man to a completely different lord in the Vale, but not the Lord Paramout?! He's literally the only person who needed to know.

Sure, Robb told him to stay put. But so what? All Blackfish had to do was send a raven saying, "Tywin is gonna attack you. Put up a fake fight, feint a retreat and then he can't reinforce KL. Stannis wins, we wins. Lulz. P.S. Sorry I suck so much."

Yeah, that too. 

24 minutes ago, talvikorppi said:

Hahaha! That'd be kind of fun. Imagine the decades of online debates on platforms we can't even imagine now.

But yes, that'd be a very unpopular opinion. People, fans, would want confirmation of their theories. The only thing worse than proving them wrong is not proving anything either way. And the debate goes on...

But Martin has said that Jon will learn about his parents. Consequently, we will too. Even in the extremely unlike scenario where only Jon learns the truth. :) 

42 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

But Martin has said that Jon will learn about his parents. Consequently, we will too. Even in the extremely unlike scenario where only Jon learns the truth. :) 

Don't underestimate the fandom.

D&D and GRRM might tell us Jon Snow is the child of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen. No matter how explicitly you spell it out, some people WILL NOT believe it. It doesn't fit their head canon, and it must all be a conspiracy. So there! :-D

4 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Truth be told, Edmure is the only Tully I sympathise with; at least he was actually trying to save all the smallfolk that turned up at RR. 

Thank you. let's not forget Hoster razed an entire village/holdfast because their lessor lord chose to remain loyal to the Targs, their own kings. and for all we know, if Edmure Tully hadn't driven Tywin and the Mountain back, that would have been his lands and people that were destroyed. Edmure was just defending his people. And then Blackfish undoes all of that, sending the serfs out from behind riverruns walls, into their burned towns, outlaw territory, and to be at the mercy of the lannisters and freys. plus he was willing to let Riverrun be under siege, which, as jamie said, would have been all of his own river folk dying first.

• The ASOIAF community on tumblr, like tumblr itself, is cancer. The fact that bloggers on there are actually considered "experts" on an uncompleted fictional series that they have no hand in creating, and that people actually donate money for them to write blog posts, is mind-boggling. 
  • Dorne isn't all that progressive. If they were so relaxed about bastards, then there would be no need to designate the demographic by the last name "Sand." There's no evidence that bastards can inherit property, either. If anything, the Iron Islands appear to be the place with the greatest potential for upward mobility. 
  • Speaking of the Iron Islands, they are essentially a self-fulfilling prophecy. The Iron Throne had about 4,062 chances to integrate them into the realm, and threw away all of them.
  • Killing Cersei would detract from Jaime's character development, not add to it.
  • The argument about "the limits of redemption" is downright silly. All redemption arcs involve the limits of redemption. Darth Vader, Jean Valjean, and Severus Snape all had redemption arcs, but that doesn't mean that at the end of the day, they weren't still a mass murder, escaped convict, and neo-Nazi. If George were to devote hundreds of pages to Jaime's redemption, only to then toss it out the window, it would result in the audience feeling ripped-off, not enlightened.
  • There's an awful lot of gatekeeping in this fandom. Despite the plethora of crackpot theories, people who try to analyze characters or situations in different ways are often met with an uproar. One of the things I like about this site is that people are more relaxed about that sort of thing. 

Archived