If Viserys and/or Daenerys was captured at Dragonstone in 284AC,

Angel Eyes

4 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

What would Robert do? Kill them? Exile them? Have them fostered somewhere in Westeros, i.e. Winterfell? Send Viserys to the Wall? Set a betrothal, i.e. Daenerys and Robb?

Maybe have his heir marry Daenarys when she's bled and have Viserys take the black when he's old enough to go.

Viserys would have been killed without question. Robert would probably never have done it himself but at some point that eight-year-old boy would have met with an accident.

Daenerys might have been quietly smothered, too. She was a baby so they could have simply said mother and child both died together. The best case scenario for Dany would be to have spent the rest of her life as a prisoner, perhaps under Stannis’s protection on Dragonstone. 

10 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

What would Robert do? Kill them? Exile them? Have them fostered somewhere in Westeros, i.e. Winterfell? Send Viserys to the Wall? Set a betrothal, i.e. Daenerys and Robb?

Viserys would have had his throat cut on the spot, and Daenerys would have been chucked into the Sea. 

That is a tough question. It really depends what kind of orders Robert actually gave to Stannis when he sent him to Dragonstone.

Stannis certainly is capable of murder, and he would have done whatever Robert had commanded him to do. But the question is whether Robert really had it in him to give the command to murder innocent women and children.

I'm inclined to believe that they would have taken them all prisoner, possibly killing Viserys III quietly by starving him to death in a tower cell and calling it illness afterwards. Rhaella may have suffered a similar fate, although the silent sisters might have also been a place for her.

Publicly sentencing them to death or murdering them in an obvious manner would have been very problematic. Those people were innocent. They had done no crimes despite the fact that their very existence greatly endangered Robert's throne and family. It would be impossible to justify such murders.

The Wall could have been an option for Viserys III if he had been older. But seven-year-olds don't take the black. Still, it is possible that he, too, might have been made a prisoner and hostage, being used to keep the Targaryen loyalists in check (sort of like Daemon II Blackfyre became a hostage at court for a time), until they could rid themselves of him by forcing him to take the black. Giving him to the Faith or the Citadel would have been way too dangerous.

Daenerys would have been made a ward of the Crown, to be married to Robert's heir by Cersei. That way the dynasty could gain much more legitimacy, getting a real chance to continue. Like Henry Tudor married Elizabeth of York at the end of the Wars of the Roses.

1. 20 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

That is a tough question. It really depends what kind of orders Robert actually gave to Stannis when he sent him to Dragonstone.

Stannis certainly is capable of murder, and he would have done whatever Robert had commanded him to do. But the question is whether Robert really had it in him to give the command to murder innocent women and children.

I'm inclined to believe that they would have taken them all prisoner, possibly killing Viserys III quietly by starving him to death in a tower cell and calling it illness afterwards. Rhaella may have suffered a similar fate, although the silent sisters might have also been a place for her.

Publicly sentencing them to death or murdering them in an obvious manner would have been very problematic. Those people were innocent. They had done no crimes despite the fact that their very existence greatly endangered Robert's throne and family. It would be impossible to justify such murders.

The Wall could have been an option for Viserys III if he had been older. But seven-year-olds don't take the black. Still, it is possible that he, too, might have been made a prisoner and hostage, being used to keep the Targaryen loyalists in check (sort of like Daemon II Blackfyre became a hostage at court for a time), until they could rid themselves of him by forcing him to take the black. Giving him to the Faith or the Citadel would have been way too dangerous.

Daenerys would have been made a ward of the Crown, to be married to Robert's heir by Cersei. That way the dynasty could gain much more legitimacy, getting a real chance to continue. Like Henry Tudor married Elizabeth of York at the end of the Wars of the Roses.

He would be happy for it to be done, even if he was reluctant to spell it out directly.  He was certainly pleased by what was done to Elia and her two children.  One or more of the "beasts in the woods" would have disposed of Dany, Viserys, and Rhaella.

7 minutes ago, SeanF said:
  1. He would be happy for it to be done, even if he was reluctant to spell it out directly.  He was certainly pleased by what was done to Elia and her two children.  One or more of the "beasts in the woods" would have disposed of Dany, Viserys, and Rhaella.

Would Stannis have been happy with that? Rhaella was his first cousin once removed, and Viserys and Daenerys are his second cousins. Stannis chose Robert as his king and did whatever the man commanded him to do, but I don't think he would have been keen to do his brother's butchery for him. Especially not if Robert didn't have the courage or stomach to give him a direct command.

But I really find the idea of royal commands ordering the murder of innocent women and children highly problematic. There is no precedent for stuff like that, and Robert's Rebellion had already ended in very bloody affair. The triumph of the Trident is greatly overshadowed by the Sack and the subsequent pardon of the people involved in the murders there.

Robert had no hand in Aerys II's murder nor in the murder of Elia and the royal children. Condoning them after the fact is completely different from actually commanding them.

And even Tywin wouldn't have been keen to continue the bloody mess of the murders he commanded during the Sack - which at least gave him the excuse that this was 'savagery done during the chaos of a battle'.

If the garrison of Dragonstone had indeed given the Targaryens to Robert's representative then this person wouldn't have had any excuse whatsoever. He would have been known not only as a Kingslayer and kinslayer (if the man in question was Stannis) but also as the murderer of innocent women and children.

By the standards of the society they live in this kind of thing is pretty much impossible to do. Especially by a person of rank, title, and breeding. Stannis would have been as popular as Gregor Clegane, Amory Lorch, or Jaime Lannister had stuff like that happened under his watch. And the decision to murder the Queen Dowager and the royal children would have to be made by Stannis himself. Some man-at-arms or household knight wouldn't dare do something like that on his own authority.

And nothing indicates that Robert had mad dogs of his own at this time. He doesn't have any people of that caliber later during his reign, either. There are no Baratheon equivalents to Sandor and Gregor Clegane, Amory Lorch, etc.

If Richard Horpe had already been in Robert's service by the time of the Sack - which is unlikely considering that the man was still a squire when he wanted to be a Kingsguard when Cersei spoke against him - he might have been capable of doing such a thing if somebody had given him the order. The same goes for Clayton Suggs, but this guy seems to have been even younger - and wouldn't have been in the Baratheon employ at that time, anyway.

11 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

They would have suffered the same fate that Rhaenys, Elia, and Aegon did.  Thank god there were loyal men like Ser Willem Darry who took them to safety.  Stannis was on his way to Dragonstone to execute the true King Viserys III and Princess Daenerys.  Were I Dany, when I get back to Westeros, I will show no mercy to the Baratheons.  None.

8 hours ago, Faera said:

Viserys would have been killed without question. Robert would probably never have done it himself but at some point that eight-year-old boy would have met with an accident.

Daenerys might have been quietly smothered, too. She was a baby so they could have simply said mother and child both died together. The best case scenario for Dany would be to have spent the rest of her life as a prisoner, perhaps under Stannis’s protection on Dragonstone. 

I'm with you on this. They'd have to die. Even keeping Dany on Dragonstone is a PR-nightmare, the singers would go crazy for the sad silver princess.

16 minutes ago, Yucef Menaerys said:

Both would probably have been killed, C'mon guys this is the person who said "I will kill every Targaryen I can get my hands on" (I'm not entirely sure if this scene happened in the books, its hard to discern sometimes)

But he didn't actually seem to make any real attempts to do so before Dany's pregnancy. Perhaps he was blustering slightly?

3 hours ago, Sigella said:

I'm with you on this. They'd have to die. Even keeping Dany on Dragonstone is a PR-nightmare, the singers would go crazy for the sad silver princess.

Exactly. 

Given she was just a newborn it would have been so easy to just kill her. Babies die all the time when they are that young in Westeros. Even if it was widely believed she was smothered, no one could possibly contest Robert's claim to the throne on a blood claim after that.

25 minutes ago, Faera said:

Exactly. 

Given she was just a newborn it would have been so easy to just kill her. Babies die all the time when they are that young in Westeros. Even if it was widely believed she was smothered, no one could possibly contest Robert's claim to the throne on a blood claim after that.

Although.... What if Robert married her?

10 minutes ago, Sigella said:

Although.... What if Robert married her?

He'd have to wait a while. More likely he'd marry her to Joffrey if he wanted to try and tie the bloodlines together...but would he really risk that?

17 minutes ago, Faera said:

He'd have to wait a while. More likely he'd marry her to Joffrey if he wanted to try and tie the bloodlines together...but would he really risk that?

I think he'd rather do that than ordering her murdered. But who knows, maybe he wouldnt want to risk the 'taint'.

11 minutes ago, Sigella said:

I think he'd rather do that than ordering her murdered. But who knows, maybe he wouldnt want to risk the 'taint'.

It is possible. The safest place for her would probably be to keep her at Dragonstone as Stannis's ward or something. Then. maybe, when the time came he'd quickly wed her to Joffrey.

All I can say is poor Daenerys.

If Robert died before he could wed Daenerys to Joffrey, it'd be interesting to see what Stannis would do with her -- kill her or imprison her?

2 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

But he didn't actually seem to make any real attempts to do so before Dany's pregnancy. Perhaps he was blustering slightly?

That is pretty likely. I really don't want to defend Robert, but the picture of him as this mad and irrational Targaryen hater is simply not true. He explodes when the Rhaegar thing comes up, but he has never commanded the murder of children. With such evidence lacking, I see no reason to believe he would command the murder of Rhaella, Viserys, and Daenerys.

Could be that some people would still kill them, but I doubt that this is something Robert would actually command. And since this situation wouldn't have been war and battle I also doubt the people openly murdering them would get away with that unpunished, especially not if they were Robert's own men.

Arranging accidents or killing them quietly later on while they were in Robert's power is another matter entirely. That could have happened.

But again - in that case only Viserys III would really have to die. Rhaella could join the silent sisters and Daenerys marry Robert's heir.

Archived