If Viserys and/or Daenerys was captured at Dragonstone in 284AC,

Angel Eyes

6 hours ago, Sigella said:

I'm with you on this. They'd have to die. Even keeping Dany on Dragonstone is a PR-nightmare, the singers would go crazy for the sad silver princess.

That Baratheon pig would have had those children killed.  They are a threat to his rule.  Viserys was already crowned and he is the legitimate heir to Westeros.  We learned just how much of a threat he was even in exile.  Prince Oberyn, Ser Willem, and the Sealord were all conspiring to put him on the throne.  Meanwhile, with their own separate plot going, Varys and Illyrio were also plotting to restore the Targaryens to the throne.  The wedding of Princess Daenerys and Khal Drogo had a lot of very important people from the Free Cities in attendance.  There are a lot of people who would love to see the throne restored to the Targaryens. 

What the Sealord and Braavos have to gain poses an interesting question.  Aegon back in the day fought against Volantis and perhaps the Braavosi feel a debt of gratitude to the Targaryens.  I'm a Targaryen restoration supporter and one of my wish is for Littlefinger's plan to destroy the Baratheons, Starks, Lannisters, Tullys, and Arryns to benefit the Targaryens.  The Targaryens in this case means Dany. 

19 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Would Stannis have been happy with that? Rhaella was his first cousin once removed, and Viserys and Daenerys are his second cousins. Stannis chose Robert as his king and did whatever the man commanded him to do, but I don't think he would have been keen to do his brother's butchery for him. Especially not if Robert didn't have the courage or stomach to give him a direct command.

But I really find the idea of royal commands ordering the murder of innocent women and children highly problematic. There is no precedent for stuff like that, and Robert's Rebellion had already ended in very bloody affair. The triumph of the Trident is greatly overshadowed by the Sack and the subsequent pardon of the people involved in the murders there.

Robert had no hand in Aerys II's murder nor in the murder of Elia and the royal children. Condoning them after the fact is completely different from actually commanding them.

And even Tywin wouldn't have been keen to continue the bloody mess of the murders he commanded during the Sack - which at least gave him the excuse that this was 'savagery done during the chaos of a battle'.

If the garrison of Dragonstone had indeed given the Targaryens to Robert's representative then this person wouldn't have had any excuse whatsoever. He would have been known not only as a Kingslayer and kinslayer (if the man in question was Stannis) but also as the murderer of innocent women and children.

By the standards of the society they live in this kind of thing is pretty much impossible to do. Especially by a person of rank, title, and breeding. Stannis would have been as popular as Gregor Clegane, Amory Lorch, or Jaime Lannister had stuff like that happened under his watch. And the decision to murder the Queen Dowager and the royal children would have to be made by Stannis himself. Some man-at-arms or household knight wouldn't dare do something like that on his own authority.

And nothing indicates that Robert had mad dogs of his own at this time. He doesn't have any people of that caliber later during his reign, either. There are no Baratheon equivalents to Sandor and Gregor Clegane, Amory Lorch, etc.

If Richard Horpe had already been in Robert's service by the time of the Sack - which is unlikely considering that the man was still a squire when he wanted to be a Kingsguard when Cersei spoke against him - he might have been capable of doing such a thing if somebody had given him the order. The same goes for Clayton Suggs, but this guy seems to have been even younger - and wouldn't have been in the Baratheon employ at that time, anyway.

If the garrison at Dragonstone had handed over Rhaella, Viserys, and Dany peacefully, then I expect they'd have been quietly disposed of, later.

Had the castle been taken by storm, I'm sure that an "accident" could have befallen them.

14 hours ago, Faera said:

It is possible. The safest place for her would probably be to keep her at Dragonstone as Stannis's ward or something. Then. maybe, when the time came he'd quickly wed her to Joffrey.

All I can say is poor Daenerys.

If Robert died before he could wed Daenerys to Joffrey, it'd be interesting to see what Stannis would do with her -- kill her or imprison her?

But he didn't know he would have Joff at that time. Maybe it depends on what Jon Arryn, being honourable and all, would have thought. Would he judge a Lannister alliance more important than a Targaryen one? There are some clear benefits tying the last Targ to his line... People might not call him usurper as much.

Agreed it would be a ridiculously long wait for heirs though.

What Stannis would do depends - if Mel was present (don't know for how long she's been with Selyse) he'd try to burn her, fail and the Unburnt would make them sorry Baratheons learn not to wake the dragon. :D

1 hour ago, Sigella said:

But he didn't know he would have Joff at that time. Maybe it depends on what Jon Arryn, being honourable and all, would have thought. Would he judge a Lannister alliance more important than a Targaryen one? There are some clear benefits tying the last Targ to his line... People might not call him usurper as much.

Agreed it would be a ridiculously long wait for heirs though.

What Stannis would do depends - if Mel was present (don't know for how long she's been with Selyse) he'd try to burn her, fail and the Unburnt would make them sorry Baratheons learn not to wake the dragon. :D

The Lannister alliance is by far more important. Like, the Targaryens were defeated so there was little to gain politically and the idea of keeping a baby with the intention of marrying her one day doesn't seem good for PR or logistically. I mean, what if Robert died in the meantime? Or she died?

Besides, he could probably presume he's have a son at some point If he still married Cersei.If he didn't want to wait for a son, marry her to Renly or Stannis, likely the former.

Oh god, I forgot about Mel! Well, Dany would be toast, then. Too bad she's not completely fireproof in the books.

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

If the garrison at Dragonstone had handed over Rhaella, Viserys, and Dany peacefully, then I expect they'd have been quietly disposed of, later.

I could see that, too, but it would have been after the public/official decision to not kill them. With poison or by some other underhanded means.

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

Had the castle been taken by storm, I'm sure that an "accident" could have befallen them.

That was apparently not about to happen - and even if it did, I doubt Stannis would have commanded stuff like that. He doesn't take the easy way out.

If his men had stormed KL and the Red Keep in ACoK, he wouldn't have put down Joffrey, Cersei, and Tommen the way Tywin did. He would have arrested them, declared them bastards and abominations, and sentenced to death in the manner tradition stipulated for committing incest.

19 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

That is pretty likely. I really don't want to defend Robert, but the picture of him as this mad and irrational Targaryen hater is simply not true. He explodes when the Rhaegar thing comes up, but he has never commanded the murder of children. With such evidence lacking, I see no reason to believe he would command the murder of Rhaella, Viserys, and Daenerys.

Could be that some people would still kill them, but I doubt that this is something Robert would actually command. And since this situation wouldn't have been war and battle I also doubt the people openly murdering them would get away with that unpunished, especially not if they were Robert's own men.

Arranging accidents or killing them quietly later on while they were in Robert's power is another matter entirely. That could have happened.

But again - in that case only Viserys III would really have to die. Rhaella could join the silent sisters and Daenerys marry Robert's heir.

Truth be told I'd expressed the opposite view point a few weeks back in a previous thread-but I saw you in another thread point out something I never really much considered-Robert fears the the Targaryians probably more than he hates them. This got me thinking of what exactly Robert's feelings have been shown to be through his actions and I realized like his expressed love for Lyanna , his expressed hatred for the Targs likely stem from him trying romantize the best time of his life a little more. The Targs are his sterotypical villains in his tale who he as the hero must loath with a passion. It's more a performance. 

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

I could see that, too, but it would have been after the public/official decision to not kill them. With poison or by some other underhanded means.

That was apparently not about to happen - and even if it did, I doubt Stannis would have commanded stuff like that. He doesn't take the easy way out.

If his men had stormed KL and the Red Keep in ACoK, he wouldn't have put down Joffrey, Cersei, and Tommen the way Tywin did. He would have arrested them, declared them bastards and abominations, and sentenced to death in the manner tradition stipulated for committing incest.

He’d then have to contend with Dorne. 

21 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

They would escape and the story would continue as written 

Why do you even bother commenting? Your answers are always the same BS that no-one wants to hear. You claim to hate what if scenarios but yet you find the time to comment on almost every single one. Ignoring the topic altogther makes more sense doesnt it ?? 

Robert is a lot of things but I highly doubt even he would order the deaths of an 8 year old boy and a newborn baby girl, besides Ned would never allow Robert to do such a thing he would threaten Robert with treason and force Robert to make a decision which would force Robert to kill Ned as well. Also Jon Arryn is a good man I cant see him allowing Bobby B to go through with it either. Viserys does need to die though I have to admit but Robert needs to keep his hands clean or his reign would be short filled with rebellions, Danny would marry Joffrey ........... 

1 hour ago, Stormking902 said:

Why do you even bother commenting? Your answers are always the same BS that no-one wants to hear. You claim to hate what if scenarios but yet you find the time to comment on almost every single one. Ignoring the topic altogther makes more sense doesnt it ?? 

I reply to the overwhelming myriad of fan fic threads for the same reason you replied to me here. Look inward summer child. The answers you seek are not where you are looking now 

Well, Viserys was certainly under the impression that he and Daenerys were being hunted by the Usurper's men. That suggests to me that Robert actually did send assassins immediately, and wanted Aerys's two surviving children dead. I don't recall any indication that Robert suffered remorse when presented with the two tiny bodies of Rhaegar's children, wrapped in bloody cloaks.

As far as the geopolitical wisdom of the act goes, Robert was not a deep thinker, nor the sharpest sword on the rack (more of a hammer-type guy, if you know what I mean). Sure, Ned would have disapproved, but wasn't he already on his way back to Winterfell? And how much would Jon Arryn object? Could he override the king?

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 0:03 PM, Widowmaker 811 said:

They would have suffered the same fate that Rhaenys, Elia, and Aegon did.  Thank god there were loyal men like Ser Willem Darry who took them to safety.  Stannis was on his way to Dragonstone to execute the true King Viserys III and Princess Daenerys.  Were I Dany, when I get back to Westeros, I will show no mercy to the Baratheons.  None.

Does this also include Edric Storm , Mya Stone , Gendry , Tommen , Myrcella , Shireen .

On 1/9/2018 at 0:05 AM, Angel Eyes said:

What would Robert do? Kill them? Exile them? Have them fostered somewhere in Westeros, i.e. Winterfell? Send Viserys to the Wall? Set a betrothal, i.e. Daenerys and Robb?

Stannis is a hard man.  The royal children would suffer the same fate as Elia's children. 

Archived