So what are the rules regarding crowning a Queen of Love and Beauty after winning a tourney?

Angel Eyes

I don't think the situation is that you CAN'T crown a woman who isn't betrothed to you as much as it is you SHOULDN'T; Rhaegar was already married and since crowning a woman as the Queen of Love and Beauty seems to basically be a love declaration, you are expected to crown the woman that you're betrothed or married to. The beloved prince Rhaegar didn't just crown another woman while married, but he crowned a woman who was betrothed to another man. This not only showed the entire realm that Elia wasn't loved or honoured by her husband, but it also put Lyanna in a humiliating position where people would maybe think that she was having an affair with Rhaegar.

As for Aemon crowning Naerys, he did love her. Whether he loved her as a sister or as a girlfriend is a good question.

I understand it's a matter of etiquette. You don't crown someone's wife, betrothed, daughter etc without a socially acceptable reason. Such a reason, for examble, would be the tourney being held in her honour (as in the Ashford tourney) or, I suppose, crowning Sansa in the Hand's tourney would be the proper thing to do as, in her person, it would pay honour to her father. I expect it's always safe to crown the lady of the castle or the woman of highest position in attendance.

Doing so wouldn’t be breaking the rules per se, but it would be scandalous.

With Aemon DK and Naerys she’s his sister and his queen, so you could argue that he was ‘defending her honour’ (at the Tourney of Harrenhal young lady Whent was defended by her brothers).

As for Rhaegar and Lyanna it seemed to be a serious insult to Robert, but not rule breaking.

This from the wiki:  

I'll preface this: The wiki is in no way canon!  However, I do agree with the assesment.

In the Seven Kingdoms, tradition holds that the victor in a tourney may select any woman present and name her the queen of love and beauty, crowning her with a wreath of flowers and dedicating his victory to her.

The victor often chooses a woman he loves or intends to court, and it can be a source of scandal if the victor crowns a woman already bound to another man, or if a married man crowns someone other than his wife.

Past Queens of Love and Beauty

--Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen - named by Ser Criston Cole in a tourney staged in 104 AC.[1]

--Queen Naerys Targaryen - named by Prince Aemon the Dragonknight, who was disguised as a mystery knight known as the Knight of Tears.[2]

--Unknown daughter of Lord Ashford - at the opening of the tourney at Ashford Meadow in 209 AC.[3]

--Princess Rhaella Targaryen - named by Ser Bonifer Hasty.[4]

--Unknown daughter of Lord Walter Whent and Lady Shella Whent - reigning Queen at the opening of the tourney at Harrenhal.[2]

--Lyanna Stark - named by Prince Rhaegar Targaryen at the tourney at Harrenhal.[5][2][6]

--Lynesse Hightower - named by Ser Jorah Mormont at the tourney at Lannisport.[7]

Note: in all the known recipients of the crown, there is certainly indication of "romantic love".

3 hours ago, Zapho said:

I wonder whether it's really appropriate to crown your own sister, except for Targaryens. The crowning is a symbolic declaration of love and incest is frowned upon.

1 hour ago, Wolf of the Steppes said:

Note: in all the known recipients of the crown, there is certainly indication of "romantic love".

Crowning someone as Queen of Love and Beauty is not nesessarily an indication of Romantic interest.

“The daughter of the great castle reigned as queen of love and beauty when the tourney opened. Five champions had sworn to defend her crown; her four brothers of Harrenhal, and her famous uncle, a white knight of the Kingsguard.” (ASOS, chapter 24, Bran)

So it seems that brothers and family members are fine.

Also I very much doubt that prince Valarr was romantically (or at all) interested in the young lady of Ashford, he was most likely simply honouring the tourney host by defending the girl's crown.

8 minutes ago, ShadowCat Rivers said:

Crowning someone as Queen of Love and Beauty is not nesessarily an indication of Romantic interest.

“The daughter of the great castle reigned as queen of love and beauty when the tourney opened. Five champions had sworn to defend her crown; her four brothers of Harrenhal, and her famous uncle, a white knight of the Kingsguard.” (ASOS, chapter 24, Bran)

So it seems that brothers and family members are fine.

Also I very much doubt that prince Valarr was romantically (or at all) interested in the young lady of Ashford, he was most likely simply honouring the tourney host by defending the girl's crown.

Yes, which is what the wiki said, and I agree with that.

All I was pointing out, is that besides the Whent and Ashford daughters (who both were the QoLaB before the start of the tourney, not named by the champion), all the others had at least suspicion of romantic love.  I just thought it was interesting.  

10 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

There are no rules pre se. It is a purely honorary title. Like the miss wet T-shirt of the Talladega county fair '76 

The current Miss Talledaga and Miss Teen Talledega:

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/998403_663103630369847_1430985587_n.jpg?oh=56f4da6a033966a21b897423fca05465&oe=5AB1C605

6 minutes ago, LindsayLohan said:

The county fair has become really conservative since the 70's. I bet they dropped nickel beer night. You know, after the riots 

Archived