Bakker LIII - Sranc and File

.H.

4 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Has Bakker ever spoken about what his post TSA plans might be?

The only thing that's known for sure is that the first book will focus on the boy and what he has/will witness. Beyond that? I have no idea.

47 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

That's for sure?

Yeah, I got the idea that he was kicking that around as a thought. But it wasn't set in stone, and depended on things like getting a publisher, a manuscript, other deals, other work he's doing, etc. 

I've seen no official announcements, and even the Chronicles of Crabicus were said at his 17-person wankcon. 

I just noticed on audible that I was in the middle of listening to TGO on my commute when the AMA dropped and I literally haven’t bothered the two days of commuting it would take to finish the book since then. Sad.

38 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Just popped in to say that I, at least, have not given up on him.

I haven't read TUC yet, though. 

Well, I hope you don't end up rage quitting. Honestly, I haven't really given up on either, but I'm still not certain if I will read anything more. One of the problems with Bakker is how he handles characters and NOT just the one who emerged as my favorite, but others who got the shaft and/or made irrelevant because REASONS. Or worse, got BORING.  It got to the point to where it all hinged on one character for me. Once he got snuffed, I saw no reason to continue. 

1 hour ago, Dora Vee said:

Well, I hope you don't end up rage quitting. Honestly, I haven't really given up on either, but I'm still not certain if I will read anything more. One of the problems with Bakker is how he handles characters and NOT just the one who emerged as my favorite, but others who got the shaft and/or made irrelevant because REASONS. Or worse, got BORING.  It got to the point to where it all hinged on one character for me. Once he got snuffed, I saw no reason to continue. 

It would take a LOT to make me rage quit.  I just haven't been able to get around to ordering it yet.  Life does interfere.

If Kelhus dies, which I'm almost certain he does, that wouldn't end it for me.  It's already been established that he WAS acting in the best interests of humanity, and not some crafty agenda of his own - which is the main thing I was interested in about him.

Goddamn it, I can't remember how to do a spoiler. 

11 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

It would take a LOT to make me rage quit.  I just haven't been able to get around to ordering it yet.  Life does interfere.

/spoiler

If Kelhus dies, which I'm almost certain he does, that wouldn't end it for me.  It's already been established that he WAS acting in the best interests of humanity, and not some crafty agenda of his own - which is the main thing I was interested in about him.

/endspoiler

Whoa!  Nice to see you around!  

2 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Reveal hidden contents

I greatly look forward to your reaction to TUC, no matter what. :P

2 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Reveal hidden contents

Not sure why you spoilered that but I didn't think it was established whether Kellhus was acting in the interest of humanity or not upto TGO.

Has Bakker ever spoken about what his post TSA plans might be?

He made a post (I think after finishing TGO or the first draft of TUC pre-split) where he mentioned a bunch of other projects he was working on including the short stories that were published later. The only thing I remember is Light, Time, and Gravity, not sure what happened to that book. eta: there was also supposed to be a sequel to Disciple of the Dog called The Enlightened Dead but with DotD being a commercial failure it probably won't be published.

4 hours ago, Dora Vee said:

I didn't rage quit, it was just a flat resolution for me. I've re-read the entire series (outside of TUC) 6-8 times in ten years or so, and love it. But the book put to rest a lot of what made it enjoyable for me, which is philosophizing about what could be the meaning of so many different, and interesting dynamics/worlds/factions that Bakker created (hundreds of pages of discussion on forums, etc.), and having most of it, fall flat.

I kind of feel Kellhus got all evangelical - whether this is for humanity or for a particular mold to cast around humanity and constrain it to that idiom as if that 'is for humanity', is up for argument. In a way he was Proyas, but super smart.

Spoiler

And yes, and he basically burned Proyas. How would that work out, being evangelical but burning the evangelical for the cause?

8 hours ago, redjako said:

I didn't rage quit, it was just a flat resolution for me. I've re-read the entire series (outside of TUC) 6-8 times in ten years or so, and love it. But the book put to rest a lot of what made it enjoyable for me, which is philosophizing about what could be the meaning of so many different, and interesting dynamics/worlds/factions that Bakker created (hundreds of pages of discussion on forums, etc.), and having most of it, fall flat.

That was always going to happen though, wasn’t it?

Look at Wheel of Time.  You had at least three entire websites Theoryland, WOTmania, and Dragonmount entirely dedicated to speculating on potential meanings and outcomes.  The series ends, and there’s nothing left to discuss.  The problem with that example is that poor Brandon Sanderson is left to take the blame by many accusing him of killing it... when the series was always going to end.

We are at the same juncture here.  The series is basically over having reached the cumulation of teenage Bakker’s grand and completely original twist. 

Spoiler

The bad guy wins!!!!

The sad thing is that the book as written actually left quite a bit open to discussion and we were having some decent debate in the early post TUC threads here, then he opened his mouth and killed it all. :dunno: 

Personally, I enjoyed TUC and thought there were some great scenes in there.  A bit like Malazan where you read 867 pages of filler to get a 73 page climax that makes you go Hell Yeah!  The book had multiple scenes with grandeur on a level with almost anything we had seen before. But it also had some scenes that made you go “Wait... they’ve been traveling 4 books for that?!!?”  How that weighs on the scale for the individual reader is, as always, unique to the reader.

I have to wonder if the internet had been around during the empire strikes back, whether people would have said

Spoiler

the bad guy wins? That's it.

At the very least, doesn't the ending raise the question 'who is the bad guy'? Does not the eternal torture machine known as damnation seem just a little bit over the fucking top and (given Esme had uncle holy killed, the most mad thing of all that Inrelatis could think of to do, but Esme is 'good') just arbitrary? Putting school yard bullies in charge of the school yard?

As to whether all the main characters die, it's been left pretty open. Especially given Cnaiurs guest appearance, since it seemed he was out.

Archived