Do you see the red God becoming popular in Westeroes?

Varysblackfyre321

4 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

If so why? If not why not?

Yes. Because they are using the AA/ptwp profecy to expand their faith. Can you imagine the impact that it will have that AA is the champion of r'hllor? And that the red priests actually have magic? like bringing people back from the dead. 

It’d take generations to convert enough people due to existing faith in the Seven and the Old Gods. I’d like to say that it wouldn’t become popular because of the harshness of the religion, but maybe once it reached a certain level of popularity its adherents would enforce it upon the rest of Westeros. 

In the scope of the novel I don’t see GRRM moving in this direction - they have a role to play but I don’t see them being a part of a better Westeros, unless they’re part of the bitter in bittersweet. 

22 minutes ago, divica said:

Yes. Because they are using the AA/ptwp profecy to expand their faith. Can you imagine the impact that it will have that AA is the champion of r'hllor? And that the red priests actually have magic? like bringing people back from the dead. 

Dany and Jon are the likeliest contenders for AA. Neither would champion the cause for "r'hllor is so great" Jon needs the support of the north and he's going to get enough flack for his policy concerning the wildlings-championing out a foreighn God who demands human sacrifice would be untenable for him

I think only if Stannis takes over and declares R’hllor as the official god of the Seven Kingdoms, would it have a chance.

It has spread quickly in the Free Cities but they were always religiously diverse, but in Westeros the Old Gods and the Seven seem heavily ingrained.

Or perhaps the Brotherhood w/o Banners will increase its popularity with the smallfolk and it will spread that way.

2 hours ago, Jaehaerys Tyrell said:

It’d take generations to convert enough people due to existing faith in the Seven and the Old Gods. I’d like to say that it wouldn’t become popular because of the harshness of the religion, but maybe once it reached a certain level of popularity its adherents would enforce it upon the rest of Westeros. 

In the scope of the novel I don’t see GRRM moving in this direction - they have a role to play but I don’t see them being a part of a better Westeros, unless they’re part of the bitter in bittersweet. 

If Danerys were to show up with dragons, being supported by the R'hllorists, and performed a huge public miracle in KL like raising a skeleton/stone dragon, revealing herself as the unburnt in a massive pyre, or some other miracle that many could see (and not just hear rumors of like Beric's resurrection) then sure, I could see the Red religion gaining many followers and converts in a short span... but I don't think it will happen because it doesn't seem to be the sort of thing GRRM wants to have happen.

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

If so why? If not why not?

it depends on what happens in winter.  When people are starving and their gods and lords can't feed them they will turn to whatever comfort they can.  If the followers of the Red God were to, say, ship food from Essos to Westeros, you can bet many will see the Light and change faiths. 

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Dany and Jon are the likeliest contenders for AA. Neither would champion the cause for "r'hllor is so great" Jon needs the support of the north and he's going to get enough flack for his policy concerning the wildlings-championing out a foreighn God who demands human sacrifice would be untenable for him

The north and the Starks are accustomed to human sacrifice.  The Starks are practitioners of human sacrifice.  But yeah, the Starks and Jon Snow are pure ice.  I don't see them converting to the Fire God.  They're Old Gods all the way.  They represent the ice side in the story.

Well Stannis going around burning septs, godswoods and people hasn't made a good impression on many people. Even his most earnest followers haven't converted. I suppose if he somehow won the Iron Throne, there would be a steady trickle of conversions over time, but I don't see that happening. I also think the War for the Dawn is going to be fought and resolved without the knowledge of most of Westeros. The heroes and their sacrifices being unknown certainly qualifies as "bittersweet" to me.

1 hour ago, Lord Lannister said:

I also think the War for the Dawn is going to be fought and resolved without the knowledge of most of Westeros. The heroes and their sacrifices being unknown certainly qualifies as "bittersweet" to me.

This isn't really related to the OP but I could totally see this happening.  I've long thought Stannis&Jon vs. The Others in the north happens at the same time as Danerys vs. Aegon vs. Tommen/Cersei/Euron in the south and the stories may only merge when Jon gets Danerys to turn north before the southron war is complete or as she is near victory.  At this point the north will be decimated and hopeless.  But it could be that Danerys or whoever the southron victor is arrives too late and there are no songs to be sung for the fallen heroes of the north who died while the southroners played their game of thrones.

If the Red Priests gets political support and patronage I can see it expanding widly. But if they don't I don't see why people in general would change religion as the Seven, due to being an organized religion, would seem to hold on pretty well. And there's also the fact that apparently many cities such as Qothor, holds a R'hllor popuation without them overtaking the city due to the leadership favoring another religion/cult.

But personally I think we really knew to little of the teachings and more of day-to-day practices of both Seven and the Red Priests to have a good comparison of them both.

If Winter gets cold enough and a decent amount of tales spread about icy demons and frozen zombies running around then I could see some people turning to the Red God - then again, I suppose it would also depend on how many priests of the Red Faith are in each area of Westeros come the next books. From the looks of things, the general population of Westeros knows little about the Essosi religion, so most small folk would need to be indoctrinated on some level into the ways of the Lord of Light.

An area like King's Landing might be a difficult sell to the Red Priests. Stannis, the most famous Westerosi patron of the Red Faith, nearly took the city in a brutal battle in which many King's Landing natives must have either lost their lives or just have been scared shitless by the whole ordeal. Considering Stannis was defeated by fire, many inhabitants of the Crownlands might even look at his talk of Red Gods and Fire swords as hypocritical nonsense - "hey Stannis, where was your fire god when your fleet was burning?"

I think Melisandre has done enough damage to both the faith/practices of R'hllor and the Azor Ahai prophecy that it will never gain a real foothold in Westeros.   This is a place firmly seated in the faith of the 7 and to a lesser degree, the old gods.  Burning people and their idols is not the way to convert souls.  Dany's arrival with dragons will no doubt take the last shred of faith anyone in Westeros has insofar as Stannis' followers are concerned.   The BWB seems to have accepted R'hllor, but who knows how they practice in the Riverlands.  They've got zombies yet cling to Beric's legendary force.   They even pretend to be Beric presently.   LSH is not a great conversion tool, either.  Even Thoros doesn't appear to like her.   Faith is not a thing that can be forced into people's hearts. 

There's actually one way I could see the Red God gain a real foot hold in Westeros. And that is if the Fath of the Seven would in some way seriously discredit itself and the Red Priests can sweep in before the Faith has repaired the damage. And its not impossible that the High Sparrow's policies could in the long run lead to some kind of debacle where the Faith lose lots its face and prestige with the smallfolk.

I think that Dany, her son Rhaego, and Jon Snow are three heads of the dragon. Also Dany is Nissa Nissa, Rhaego is the Prince that was promised and the Stallion that will mount the world, and Jon is Azor Ahai. The three of them will become dragonriders (Dany/Drogon, Rhaego/Rhaegel, Jon/Viserion), and will defeat the Others and their Undead Army. After that Jon and Dany will marry, and become King and Queen of 7K. They will have their own children, so Rhaego (who is half-Dothraki and thus prefers to be free, and not to settle in one place) will leave them. He will become Red Priest, and will go all over the world propagating faith of R'hllor. Thus he will be a champion of Lord of Light. And because he is also one of three Messiahs, that saved humanity from being anihilated during Second Long Night, a lot of people will follow him. He will be like ASOIAF version of Jesus.

And why do I think that Rgaego will become a Red Priest, not to mention that he is still alive somehow (:rolleyes:), and even will become a dragonrider:

She could feel the heat inside her, a terrible burning in her womb. Her son was tall and proud, with Drogo’s copper skin and her own silver-gold hair, violet eyes shaped like almonds. And he smiled for her and began to lift his hand toward hers, but when he opened his mouth the fire poured out. She saw his heart burning through his chest, and in an instant he was gone, consumed like a moth by a candle, turned to ash. She wept for her child, the promise of a sweet mouth on her breast, but her tears turned to steam as they touched her skin.

“…want to wake the dragon…”

In her vision Dany saw grown up Rhaego. All of her visions from that time were real, either from the past or from the future, but all of them came true. So it couldn't be that out of all of them only one, about her son, was false.

In that vision Rhaego had a burning heart. Stannis Baratheon, who thinks that he is Azor Ahai and Champion of R'hllor, is using burning heart as his sigil and banner.

Also there was fire pouring out of his mouth, which is a last kiss or kiss of life, performed by Red Priests.

Coloring of three dragon eggs, their placement in funeral pyre, order in which the eggs were initiated, order in which they hatched, and names of dragons, are foreshadowing of who is going to be their dragonriders.

Example on Rhaegel's egg, Rhaego's dragon:

Spoiler

Green and bronze/Rhaegel is Rhaego's dragon. Both the dragon, and Dany's son were named in honor of her brother Rhaegar. Green color is symbol of grass, and bronze in this case is symbol of Dothraki (either it's color of horses, or Dothraki's dark skin, or their bronze arakhs). This egg was initiated second, after black and scarlet. Dany took this egg in her bed, and the baby in her belly and the dragon inside the egg reacted to each other, like brother to brother, as blood to blood. Which is indication that they bonded then. She placed this egg second on funeral pyre, near Drogo's head and coiled his braid around the egg. Drogo was never defeated, his braid was never cut, and his son, who is the Stallion that will mount the world, and will be undefeated warrior, same as his father, will be a dragonrider of dragon that hatched from egg, around which was coiled Drogo's braid on his funeral pyre. This egg was initiated second, placed on funeral pyre second, hatched second. So Rhaegel will got his dragonrider also second.

Why do I think that those things are relevant, and has any meaning in them? That's because all those things about Drogon came true. If what all those symbols foreshadowed came true about one egg, then the same thing most likely will happen with the other two.

Example on Drogo's egg, Dany's dragon:

Spoiler

- it was initiated first - black and scarlet dragon came to Dany in her dreams twice, and after that black egg became hot, it became "alive" first out of three (second was green and bronze, and the last one was white);

- after Dany gave birth to Rhaego, she had a vision-dream in which wings bursted out of her back and she flew to Westeros. Later she became Drogon's dragonrider;

- at funeral pyre Dany placed black egg near Drogo's heart, and when the black dragon hatched out of that egg, she named him in honor of her husband - Drogon. And same as she placed this egg close to her husband's heart, she also always cared the most about Drogon (for example to House of Undying she brought him, etc.);

- three dragons will get their riders in same order the eggs were initiated, order in which they were placed on funeral pyre, and birth order of those riders, and in opposite order of egg's hatching.

(Black egg was initiated first, placed on fyneral pyre first. Dany was born first. She also became dragonrider first.

Jon was born in 283, Dany in 284, Rhaego on the verge of 298 and 299, and Jon died in 300. But for 17 years of his life Jon lived as Snow, or half-Stark, so his dragonblood was nearly entirely dormant for those 17 years.

Aside from one time when he burned his hand, and later for a long time felt as if though the fire was still in his hand. And later he had a dream with a vision of a future. Which is a trait of Targaryens/Blackfyres/Valyrians/dragonblood. In that vision he saw himself on The Wall, wearing armor of black ice, weilding blazing sword, and fighting against Undead Army.

Jon was born first, but the "dragon" he will become the last, and the last he will become dragonrider. He was killed and will be revived in a year 300, and that's 1+ year after birth of Rhaego. And Jon will become Targaryen/dragon only after his second life will begin.

For example Aegon V became the dragon, when he was 11 or 12 years old, after Tournament at Whitewalls, where happened Second Rebellion of Blackfyres. So time of physical birth, and when somebody becomes a dragon, are two separate things.

The eggs hatched in this order: 1. white, 2. green and bronze, 3. black.

And those dragons will get their dragonriders in opposite order of their hatching - 1. Drogon, 2. Rhaegel, 3. Viserion.

When funeral pyre was burning there was three loud cracks. After first crack a piece of white egg's shell fell to Dany's feet <- based on this the first hatched Viserion's egg. Also after Viserion hatched, he was suckling milk at Dany's left breast. It isn't definite in which order hatched two other eggs, but based on some hints and logic, seems that the second hatched green and bronze egg in which was Rhaegel, and last hatched black and scarlet egg in which was Drogon. First of all because Drogon's egg was the biggest, thus it's logical to assume that it also had the thickest shell, and thus needed the biggest amount of heat and time to hatch. Also while two others dragons were placed at Dany's breasts, Drogon was draped across her shoulders, which probably means that by the time he hatched from black egg, the other two dragons already occupied both of Dany's breasts, so he went to sit on her back.)

So Rhaego is alive, and he will be one of dragonriders. And out of those three heads of the dragon, he is also the Prince that was promised, sent by the Lord of Light. So after Long Night will end, many people will follow Rhaego, and change their religion.

Because there's no evidence that Seven Gods are real. While the fact that humanity was saved from the Others, by Savior that was send by R'hllor, is evidence of R'hllor's existance and his godly power. And what are Sevens? They are nothing. Nonexistent, same as other Gods popular on Planetos. But out of those deities, seems that only R'hllor is actually real. So if people will have two options - to pray to nonexistent fake Gods, or to pray to real God who saved them all, it's not even a mystery whom they will choose.

Religion of Red God will become not only popular in Westeros, it will become major religion of entire Planetos. Or maybe dominiring religion will be a mix of R'hllor and the Great Stallion, because Rhaego is half-dragonseed and half-Dothraki, and both the Prince that was promised, and the Stallion that will mount the world.

19 minutes ago, Megorova said:

I think that Dany, her son Rhaego, and Jon Snow are three heads of the dragon. Also Dany is Nissa Nissa, Rhaego is the Prince that was promised and the Stallion that will mount the world, and Jon is Azor Ahai. The three of them will become dragonriders (Dany/Drogon, Rhaego/Rhaegel, Jon/Viserion), and will defeat the Others and their Undead Army. After that Jon and Dany will marry, and become King and Queen of 7K. They will have their own children, so Rhaego (who is half-Dothraki and thus prefers to be free, and not to settle in one place) will leave them. He will become Red Priest, and will go all over the world propagating faith of R'hllor. Thus he will be a champion of Lord of Light. And because he is also one of three Messiahs, that saved humanity from being anihilated during Second Long Night, a lot of people will follow him. He will be like ASOIAF version of Jesus.

And why do I think that Rgaego will become a Red Priest, not to mention that he is still alive somehow (:rolleyes:), and even will become a dragonrider:

In her vision Dany saw grown up Rhaego. All of her visions from that time were real, either from the past or from the future, but all of them came true. So it couldn't be that out of all of them only one, about her son, was false.

In that vision Rhaego had a burning heart. Stannis Baratheon, who thinks that he is Azor Ahai and Champion of R'hllor, is using burning heart as his sigil and banner.

Also there was fire pouring out of his mouth, which is a last kiss or kiss of life, performed by Red Priests.

Coloring of three dragon eggs, their placement in funeral pyre, order in which the eggs were initiated, order in which they hatched, and names of dragons, are foreshadowing of who is going to be their dragonriders.

Example on Rhaegel's egg, Rhaego's dragon:

Reveal hidden contents

Green and bronze/Rhaegel is Rhaego's dragon. Both the dragon, and Dany's son were named in honor of her brother Rhaegar. Green color is symbol of grass, and bronze in this case is symbol of Dothraki (either it's color of horses, or Dothraki's dark skin, or their bronze arakhs). This egg was initiated second, after black and scarlet. Dany took this egg in her bed, and the baby in her belly and the dragon inside the egg reacted to each other, like brother to brother, as blood to blood. Which is indication that they bonded then. She placed this egg second on funeral pyre, near Drogo's head and coiled his braid around the egg. Drogo was never defeated, his braid was never cut, and his son, who is the Stallion that will mount the world, and will be undefeated warrior, same as his father, will be a dragonrider of dragon that hatched from egg, around which was coiled Drogo's braid on his funeral pyre. This egg was initiated second, placed on funeral pyre second, hatched second. So Rhaegel will got his dragonrider also second.

Why do I think that those things are relevant, and has any meaning in them? That's because all those things about Drogon came true. If what all those symbols foreshadowed came true about one egg, then the same thing most likely will happen with the other two.

Example on Drogo's egg, Dany's dragon:

Reveal hidden contents

- it was initiated first - black and scarlet dragon came to Dany in her dreams twice, and after that black egg became hot, it became "alive" first out of three (second was green and bronze, and the last one was white);

- after Dany gave birth to Rhaego, she had a vision-dream in which wings bursted out of her back and she flew to Westeros. Later she became Drogon's dragonrider;

- at funeral pyre Dany placed black egg near Drogo's heart, and when the black dragon hatched out of that egg, she named him in honor of her husband - Drogon. And same as she placed this egg close to her husband's heart, she also always cared the most about Drogon (for example to House of Undying she brought him, etc.);

- three dragons will get their riders in same order the eggs were initiated, order in which they were placed on funeral pyre, and birth order of those riders, and in opposite order of egg's hatching.

(Black egg was initiated first, placed on fyneral pyre first. Dany was born first. She also became dragonrider first.

Jon was born in 283, Dany in 284, Rhaego on the verge of 298 and 299, and Jon died in 300. But for 17 years of his life Jon lived as Snow, or half-Stark, so his dragonblood was nearly entirely dormant for those 17 years.

Aside from one time when he burned his hand, and later for a long time felt as if though the fire was still in his hand. And later he had a dream with a vision of a future. Which is a trait of Targaryens/Blackfyres/Valyrians/dragonblood. In that vision he saw himself on The Wall, wearing armor of black ice, weilding blazing sword, and fighting against Undead Army.

Jon was born first, but the "dragon" he will become the last, and the last he will become dragonrider. He was killed and will be revived in a year 300, and that's 1+ year after birth of Rhaego. And Jon will become Targaryen/dragon only after his second life will begin.

The eggs hatched in this order: 1. white, 2. green and bronze, 3. black.

And those dragons will get their dragonriders in opposite order of their hatching - 1. Drogon, 2. Rhaegel, 3. Viserion.

When funeral pyre was burning there was three loud cracks. After first crack a piece of white egg's shell fell to Dany's feet <- based on this the first hatched Viserion's egg. Also after Viserion hatched, he was suckling milk at Dany's left breast. It isn't definite in which order hatched two other eggs, but based on some hints and logic, seems that the second hatched green and bronze egg in which was Rhaegel, and last hatched black and scarlet egg in which was Drogon. First of all because Drogon's egg was the biggest, thus it's logical to assume that it also had the thickest shell, and thus needed the biggest amount of heat and time to hatch. Also while two others dragons were placed at Dany's breasts, Drogon was draped across her shoulders, which probably means that by the time he hatche from black egg, the other two dragons already occupied both of Dany's breasts, so he went to sit on her back.)

So Rhaego is alive, and he will be one of dragonriders. And out of those three heads of the dragon, he is also the Prince that was promised, sent by the Lord of Light. So after Long Night will end, many people will follow Rhaego, and change their religion.

Because there's no evidence that Seven Gods are real. While the fact that humanity was saved from the Others, by Savior that was send by R'hllor, is evidence of R'hllor's existance and his godly power. And what are Sevens? They are nothing. Nonexistent, same as other Gods popular on Planetos. But out of those deities, seems that only R'hllor is actually real. So if people will have two options - to pray to nonexistent fake Gods, or to pray to real God who saved them all, it's not even a mystery whom they will choose.

Religion of Red God will become not only popular in Westeros, it will become major religion of entire Planetos. Or maybe dominiring religion will be a mix of R'hllor and the Great Stallion, because Rhaego is half-dragonseed and half-Dothraki, and both the Prince that was promised, and the Stallion that will mount the world.

A hybrid religion between R'hllor and the Great Stallion would indeed be interesting but I think that R'hllorism is to strictly monotheistic and with an official priesthood to enforce orthodoxy on its adherents so that syncretism is probably not very likely to happ on the R'hllor part of the divide.

22 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

If Danerys were to show up with dragons, being supported by the R'hllorists, and performed a huge public miracle in KL like raising a skeleton/stone dragon, revealing herself as the unburnt in a massive pyre, or some other miracle that many could see (and not just hear rumors of like Beric's resurrection) then sure, I could see the Red religion gaining many followers and converts in a short span... but I don't think it will happen because it doesn't seem to be the sort of thing GRRM wants to have happen.

In Christianity the Holy Trinity is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. In ASOIAF there's the Mother (Dany, Mother of dragons, mother of three), the Son (Rhaego, the Prince that was promised, the Stallion that will mount the world) and the ? Unded man? Ghost? some sort of Lazarus (Jon Snow).

Burning heart is symbol of Jesus in Catholicism. In ASOIAF burning heart is symbol of Prince that was promised, Messiah sent by Red God.

Not to mention that birth of Jesus was predicted in the prophecy. Arrival of the Prince and the Stallion was also predicted. And his symbol is also a burning heart (which is currently used by Stannis, who thinks that he is The Chosen One). Rhaego and Jon sort of died, but later will return, like resurrection of Jesus.

fAegon is parallel to Antichrist. Antichrist is son of Devil. Devil used to be an angel Lucifer. He rebelled against God, and was exiled from Heaven. According to Bible, prior beggining of Apocalypse, Antichrist will come to people and make them believe that he is their Savior.

Blackfyres used to serve to Targaryens. And Daemon I Blackfyre was favourite son of Aegon IV. But then Blackfyres rebelled against Targaryens, lost to them, were defeated by Lord Bloodraven (who is probably parallel to Archangel Michael. Lord Bloodraven was leading forces of Targaryens against Blackfyres, while Michael was leading forces of God against forces of Devil). fAegon is descendant of Blackfyres and "Mummers dragon". Mummers are Varys and Illyrio, and they are either Blackfyres or their agents. They are using fAegon as their pupet, and after he will play his role, they will sacrifice him. Same as Antichrist is a pupet of Devil, and will be annihilated by coming of Jesus.

I wouldn't be surprised if fAegon will be burned by dragon. Specifically by Rhaegel, who is going to be the dragon of the promised Prince Rhaego.  

This is from Bible:

For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and produce great signs and omens, to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.

For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work, but only until the one who now restrains it is removed. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will destroy with the breath of his mouth, annihilating him by the manifestation of his coming. The coming of the lawless one is apparent in the working of Satan, who uses all power, signs, lying wonders, and every kind of wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.

Prophets in Vaes Dothrak said that Drogo's son will be khal of khals. Khal is King of Dothraki. In Bible Jesus was referred to as King of kings. So Rhaego is ASOIAF-version of Jesus.

GRRM is also using other parallels from Christianity and Catholicism.

There were unicorn and griffin on doors of Tobho Mott, in scene where Ned came to find Gendry. Both unicorn and griffin are symbols of Jesus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffin

"Being a union of an aerial bird and a terrestrial beast, it was seen in Christendom to be a symbol of Jesus, who was both human and divine."

Prophecy from ASOIAF:

"There will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him."

"The red comet blazed across the sky to herald his coming, and he bears Lightbringer, the red sword of heroes."

Bible, Book of Revelation, prophecy of Apocalypse:

"The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water - the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormwood_(Bible)

This is that "bitter" part from GRRM's ending - 1/3 of Planetos' population will die during Second Long Night.

I think that GRRM is frequently using religios symbols in his works. So it is possible that he will follow this path.

Of course this all is just a speculations and theories, could be that GRRM will use totally different plot, and I'm entirely wrong. But with information that we have so far, this is my current view on this topic.

On 12.01.2018 at 1:17 AM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Could be that the Prince will be a link between people and Red God, and under his guidance that religion will become milder. Like Jesus brought to people a New Testament. Old Testament was all about "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth", kill people with stones. While New Testament was about forgivness, turning the other cheek, and "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone".

Obara had an interesting line in AFFC;

"The septs are packed to bursting, and the red priests have lit their temple fires." (The Captain of the Guards, AFFC)

Unless Obara is exaggerating, my guess is that the religion might be spreading in Dorne. And I think there are smallfolk converting in the riverlands, but I can't find the quote.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the religion spread.

Archived