Let's talk about some of the awful art on the wiki

Falcon2909

I agree that there is some awfull artwork on the wiki, but the art that is uploaded is very much the personal fancy of however edited the page in question.

Personally i do not understand why the artwork of the artist TheMico is featured so heavily, but i do realize that it is a personal dislike and that apparently others do enjoy the artwork.

I like the Bloodstone Emperor piece. Feels like something kind of Star Wars-y, which is fine by me -- George made Yi Ti pretty damned fantastical. Also, for all I know, it may be the only Bloodstone Emperor artwork I've seen by a fan...

It's also what people can get approval for. We ask that all images have approval from the artists. TheMico has given blanket approval in the past, and he's the only person who's depicted some of the more minor characters. I personally enjoy some of his pieces for the humor they bring to things, but that said there's no objection to having alternative images _if_ there's approval from the artists for their use.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If an image exists and we have permission to use it, it's a no-brainer to use it. If there's a better image and we have permission to use that, also a no-brainer to use that. It's pretty straightforward.

On 3/15/2019 at 11:06 AM, Ran said:

If an image exists and we have permission to use it, it's a no-brainer to use it. If there's a better image and we have permission to use that, also a no-brainer to use that. It's pretty straightforward.

I understand, but, by the gods take a look at this

6 hours ago, Potsk said:

It's pretty funny, taking the "chinless weasel" look to an extreme. It's caricature. But if you find a better depiction of Cleos from sources we can use, no problem with that being used instead. Has Fantasy Flight Games done a Cleos image?

On 3/22/2019 at 3:44 AM, Potsk said:

Not bad at all, just like the White Fawn and other pictures by the artist. Nothing wrong with cartoonish style, as long as it's decent. Does not have to be grimdark-hyperrealistic-devil-knows-what. 

It seems possible, especially as the quote for the card references Ser Cleos. I'm not opposed to using that instead, if people feel it fits his description better than the Mico's piece.

38 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

I guess in the end it is a matter of taste. Some like it, some do not. I do not.

Not sure if this image is meant to show Cleos.

Both are pretty far from my image of Cleos, but it's ok.  Worst thing would be a picture form tv series.

1 hour ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

Speaking of art on the wiki, I've seen a lot of art that comes from "The World of Ice and Fire" and "Fire and Blood" books. Does all the artists for these books have given their permission to use their art or just some of them ?

There is no permission at all. At some point one editor started to upload the artworks, then others followed, and now nobody cares about a permission anymore. ;) 

57 minutes ago, Ran said:

Should we get a project together to go through art and make sure permissions were secured for pieces from TWoIaF and F&B, and if not to remove such images?

That would be an idea.

As far as I know the permission stuff is rather easy. Usually the artists get commissioned by the publisher to draw something for a book and they get paid for it, but they do not retain the copyright for their works. So usually the copyright for the illustrations is with the publisher. That means the artists are not able to give permission, only the publisher is. If it is the same with TWoIaF and F&B, any image from these sources needs to be removed, unless someone is able to get a permission.

Archived