U.S. Politics: And a Happy "Shithole" Year

Sivin

On 1/13/2018 at 6:51 PM, dmc515 said:

Yeah Democrats need to stop taking his money.

Yep. Democrats should drop him like third period french.

On a number of policy matters Dimon has simply been wrong, whether we're talking about his crying about equity capital requirements for banks or his debt chicken littleing back in 2012 or so and his opinions on monetary policy.

His nonsense would fit right in the Republican Party. 

ETA:

It's probably very "uncivil" for me to say this, but Dimon can go piss up a rope.

22 hours ago, Triskele said:

That is something that will be really interesting to watch going forward with the Dems and their donors.  Signals so far have been that a more Sanders-like approach is ascendant like with so many prominent Senators getting behind a single-payer health plan.  So to what extent will they follow suit on Big Finance?  

I know that Kirsten Gillibrand takes flack for this; that she's looking quite progressive these days but that she got her start as more of a blue dog with plenty of Wall Street money.

I'd submit that when Republicans went after unions, they knew what they were doing. By destroying a traditional source of money for Democrats, many were forced to go to places like Wall Street.

1 minute ago, OldGimletEye said:

I'd submit that when Republicans went after unions, they knew what they were doing. By destroying a traditional source of money for Democrats, many were forced to go to places like Wall Street.

The Democrats pretty much neglected the unions  and left themselves vulnerable to Republicans.  

How Trump’s ‘Sh*thole’ Comment Could Help Provoke a Government Shutdown

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/01/how-trumps-sh-thole-remark-could-provoke-a-shutdown.html

Have They No Sense of Decency?
In the “shithole era,” the Republican U.S. senators who object to the president’s vulgarity have a choice to make.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/01/have-you-no-sense-of-decency/550502/

Far-Right Trump Supporters Try to Arrest London Mayor

https://www.thedailybeast.com/far-right-trump-supporters-try-to-arrest-london-mayor?ref=home

This is really bizarre. A U.S. President has created a situation where he can no longer visit London. I wonder what other countries will be blocked to him?

3 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Have They No Sense of Decency?
In the “shithole era,” the Republican U.S. senators who object to the president’s vulgarity have a choice to make.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/01/have-you-no-sense-of-decency/550502/

I would say the R's sense of decency is purely situational.  They'll tell the press the Shithole's comment was unfortunate, but then lick his balls, and the balls of their donors, behind closed doors.  

39 minutes ago, Triskele said:

That is something that will be really interesting to watch going forward with the Dems and their donors.  Signals so far have been that a more Sanders-like approach is ascendant like with so many prominent Senators getting behind a single-payer health plan.  So to what extent will they follow suit on Big Finance?

It will indeed be interesting.  I think there are ways to tap into Wall Street cash (e.g. 5k a plate rubber chicken dinners) without granting individuals the undue influence Dimon received during the Obama administration.

40 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I know that Kirsten Gillibrand takes flack for this; that she's looking quite progressive these days but that she got her start as more of a blue dog with plenty of Wall Street money.

Well, Gillibrand is simply going to have a problem with the fact that she was a blue dog early in her career (basically her entire House tenure).  How much that bothers you depends on how much you afford politicians shifting their positions to align with their constituencies and ambitions.  I think throwing Bill under the bus after all the Clintons did for her will also be viewed by some as politically craven.

"Republican foot-dragging on CHIP, like opposition to Medicaid expansion and the demand for work requirements, isn’t about the money, it’s about the cruelty," he closes. "Making lower-income Americans worse off has become a goal in itself for the modern G.O.P., a goal the party is actually willing to spend money and increase deficits to achieve."

Paul Krugman: Republicans Simply Want to Hurt People
The GOP has made further impoverishing the poor a part of its platform.

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/paul-krugman-republicans-simply-want-hurt-people

Yeah, this really was going on for quite some time. Refusing to expand Medicaid in particular really harms the state that does it. No one is ever fully denied medical care in the U.S. When stripped of insurance and a person gets seriously sick or injured, they go to the ER and by law they have to take them. The person may have been ignoring some illness or the like due to lack of insurance and now it could take expensive treatment such as surgery to resolve it.

The hospital likely takes the loss and is damaged. The sick person's credit takes a hit and they are damaged. It's also quite possibly a horrific experience for the person.

I've heard of cases of people without access to dental care developing serious dental problems, which turn into medical problems, and showing up at the ER. Basically, if you ignore that human bodies sometimes break down and pretend that people are machines that can work for minimum wage forever without medical care, the costs are inflicted on society in some manner.

I really don't get why Republicans have gleefully become the party of killing sick people. It's frankly frightening, as someone with a disease.

Republicans could repeal the Reagan era law that made ERs have to treat people. However, it would take 60 Senate votes and I doubt it ever happens.

3 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Pepper one thing I will say about you is your never dull. :D

Im done here.:)

I thought you were done?  You still keep posting.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Also, as someone pointed out a few threads back, you're all being SeaLioned. :P

I don't even know what that means.  Are sea lions the new trolls?

31 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

I would say the R's sense of decency is purely situational.  They'll tell the press the Shithole's comment was unfortunate, but then lick his balls, and the balls of their donors, behind closed doors.  

Most don't have the decency to do it behind closed doors nowadays.  Lindsey Graham does it on the morning news cycles.

16 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Most don't have the decency to do it behind closed doors nowadays.  Lindsey Graham does it on the morning news cycles.

And give up politics ? Never. :P

23 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

4. The Terrible Argument: "I'm being unfailingly polite, so you should debate this with me whether you want to or not."

Have you ever encountered someone who insists that their politeness is the most important aspect of your conversation, and that you owe it to them to debate every single point with them because they are being oh so polite about it? Thanks to David Malki's Wondermark, that phenomenon now has a name: Sea Lioning. Damn intrusive marine mammals.

10 Comics That Shut Down Terrible Internet Arguments

https://io9.gizmodo.com/10-comics-that-shut-down-terrible-internet-arguments-1677109868

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/far-right-trump-supporters-try-to-arrest-london-mayor?ref=home

This is really bizarre. A U.S. President has created a situation where he can no longer visit London. I wonder what other countries will be blocked to him?

Ah but they didn't swear, so at least they were being civil. Let's just ignore the literal fucking gallows they brought with them. Because it's not about what you're saying or the implications. It's about how you said it.

15 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Ah but they didn't swear, so at least they were being civil. Let's just ignore the literal fucking gallows they brought with them. Because it's not about what you're saying or the implications. It's about how you said it.

I had to read that article 3 times to make sure it wasn't an onion article.

Archived