U.S. Politics: And a Happy "Shithole" Year

Sivin

In fact, I apologize for a double post but I don't like to edit my posts unnecessarily as it can call into question my meaning and this is important. 

The fact that your life shouldn't be summed up by one quote is in fact the legacy of Dr. King. 

If you think his legacy is being able to single handedly dickslap racism, I urge you to educate yourself (not specifically talking to You, Ty).

Dr. King didn't beat racism. Dr. King showed us that the path to healing bigoted beliefs and hate is through showing your character even when faced against unfathomable oppression and knowing that if you show that your cause is just then others will follow you. And eventually, one day, someone who called American citizens Niggers and said "segregation now, segregation forever" will have the chance to say that they were wrong. 

And on that day we can embrace that person as our American brother or sister who overcame their own inner monsters and saw the light .

Even if it's only one person who can be enlightened, we owe it to ourselves to take the burden.

Now like Dr. King I am not telling you to keep pounding your head against the wall with these people. I am instead begging you not to give up the fight, because that's what I've been seeing lately. 

Frustration has led to wasted energy. The answer is not to quit, it is to reevaluate your methods and whether the person you are trying to help might just not be ready for it.

Ok, Grassley and Durbin had a mutual love-in and support session in the hearings with the Homeland Security Secretary right now. Nice to see.

Interesting, though, Grassley asked what happened to Trump between Tuesday and Thursday. On Tuesday Trump talked about the love he had for DACA and on Thursday he talked about shithole/house countries. But he will get to the bottom of it!

Jace,

I’m a little confused as I by and large agree with you. I was just highlighting that MLK once said that there’s a point in time where your efforts to change an individual’s mind becomes wasted energy. That doesn’t mean you should give up on your cause though.

This is how you cover yourself in shame. Couldn’t happen to a more deserving person than Tom Cotton:

Just when you thought the lawmakers involved in that “shithole countries” meeting at the White House on Thursday hadn't covered themselves in enough shame, here comes a new development.

The Washington Post reported Monday night the source of the dispute is less about the thrust of President Trump's “shithole” comment and more about the second syllable of that vulgar word. It turns out the statement Sens. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) and David Perdue (R-Ga.) issued that sounded like it was written by a dozen lawyers sounded that way for a very good reason: Cotton and Perdue, according to three White House sources, believe Trump said “shithouse” rather than “shithole.” (The New York Times has a source saying the same thing.)

This is apparently all the difference that they needed to issue their statement, which assured that “we do not recall the president saying these comments specifically.” That last word lingers hugely; it means they get to deny one specific word and feel good about having been technically honest. Never mind that the second syllable of that word doesn't change the meaning of Trump's comments one iota.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/01/16/the-trump-shithole-countries-flap-takes-an-even-more-ridiculous-turn/?utm_term=.55fcb02ae101

35 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Jace,

I’m a little confused as I by and large agree with you. I was just highlighting that MLK once said that there’s a point in time where your efforts to change an individual’s mind becomes wasted energy. That doesn’t mean you should give up on your cause though.

I know, and I'm sorry if I'm coming across as degrading or insulting in any way.

But I've seen people start to give in to the frustration and that's not the way. I'm not a writer, I don't pretend to be, so I apologize if what I'm trying to say isn't coming out right.

What I took issue with specifically from your post was that it sounded like you were ready to dismiss a particular poster for good. 

Now to clarify, I got that impression because it's exactly what I was pleading with Week not to do and I felt that your post was a bit ambiguous and thereby sounded to me like it could be interpreted as "yeah, there's no use" in the context of the thread (especially by insincere actors) as opposed to "sometimes the time isn't right and you need to just stop and maybe revisit later with a new plan"

Obviously the latter is my position and I think the one you more or less share.

ETA: When I say "the time isn't right" I mean for the specific troublesome person you're speaking to at a given time, I'm not saying it's not time to combat racism.

You'd think I wouldn't need to say that, but there's a reason were having the discussion. 

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

Bannon subpoened by Mueller.

He'll have a nice little warm up for that questioning today.

WASHINGTON — Former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon is expected to testify behind closed doors to the House Intelligence Committee on Tuesday as part of its investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/01/16/steve-bannon-testifies-russia-probe-five-questions-house-intel-may-ask/1029563001/

Tim Pawlenty passes on running for Franken's vacated seat in Minnesota. That leaves Bachmann as the highest-profile candidate considering running in opposition to Smith to serve out the remainder of Franken's term. That seems like more good news for Democrats in 2018.

Just now, The Great Unwashed said:

Tim Pawlenty passes on running for Franken's vacated seat in Minnesota. That leaves Bachmann as the highest-profile candidate considering running in opposition to Smith to serve out the remainder of Franken's term. That seems like more good news for Democrats in 2018.

That is good news, although I don't know how strong Pawlenty's brand is anymore.  He took a lot of heat for the bridge collapse. 

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

That is so depressing, the personification of 'despicable', and now the way many people around the world view Americans.  :crying:

I found this very disturbing, and sad.   

Per the White House doctor who conducted Trump's annual physical, Trump is 6'3" and 239. Which is exactly one pound less than the CDC definition of obese. Maybe that's accurate, but methinks the numbers were fudged to avoid the obese label.

The doctor also says Trump got a 30 out of 30 on a cognitive screening and that a neurological exam came out normal. And if that's accurate, either that screening has an extremely low bar to clear or some of more damning stories from Michael Wolff and others aren't accurate (such as Trump not recognizing his friends, Trump now repeating stories within 10 minutes, etc.).

Worth noting, this is the same doctor that conducted Obama's physicals from 2013 onwards.

52 minutes ago, Mexal said:

It's a bit much for me. One of the reasons I can't really stand Booker.

Disagree. 

The look on Nielsen's face was one of shame.  The brutal shaming of Trump's enablers should not let up until they all find their backbone and wipe their noses of the brown stains from their commander's adult diaper.

13 minutes ago, Fez said:

Per the White House doctor who conducted Trump's annual physical, Trump is 6'3" and 239. Which is exactly one pound less than the CDC definition of obese. Maybe that's accurate, but methinks the numbers were fudged to avoid the obese label.

The doctor also says Trump got a 30 out of 30 on a cognitive screening and that a neurological exam came out normal. And if that's accurate, either that screening has an extremely low bar to clear or some of more damning stories from Michael Wolff and others aren't accurate (such as Trump not recognizing his friends, Trump now repeating stories within 10 minutes, etc.).

Worth noting, this is the same doctor that conducted Obama's physicals from 2013 onwards.

As I understand it "cognitive screening" usually means a test for the presence of actual dementia. It is not at all the same thing as an IQ test. People who have dementia are often going to "repeat stories" because they don't remember they just told them to you -- but there are other reasons to repeat yourself a lot other than having a poor memory. I have known people who repeat stories as a means to dominate the conversation -- and with an extreme narcissist like Trump, he may repeat stories that he thinks reflect well on himself just out of self-aggrandizement. 

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/1/16/16667264/trump-medicaid-work-requirements

The big news last week, you will recall, was the Trump administration opening the floodgates for states to impose work requirements in the Medicaid program, and Kentucky becoming the first state to get federal approval for such a mandate.

The work requirement is the headline, so to speak, out of Kentucky. But Republican Gov. Matt Bevin — who took over in 2015 for outgoing Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear, who had made the Bluegrass State one of Obamacare’s success stories — has a whole lot more up his sleeve.

Six-month lockouts: If a person making between $12,000 and $15,000 fails to pay their premium, they can lose their coverage and are not allowed to re-enroll for six months; if a person fails to re-enroll during a new open enrollment period, they would also be locked out of coverage for six months unless they complete a financial or health literacy class

Seriously? Did Seema Verma get paid a couple hundred thousand, to offer up this wonderful piece of advice to Bevin or did he think up this all by himself?

13 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/1/16/16667264/trump-medicaid-work-requirements

Seriously? Did Seema Verma get paid a couple hundred thousand, to offer up this wonderful piece of advice to Bevin or did he think up this all by himself?

What is it about being a GOP elected official that makes these people so damn cruel?  What is it?

Archived