Imagine if everyone in the world got smarter, except for you

chuck norris 42

I really had fun thinking about this so I hope it amuses people. 

Suppose they invent smart pills but you are allergic so everyone else gets smarter but you don't improve. 

For me it would reduce my employment prospects but I would still be better of, I think a bit more intelligence would drastically improve politics 
and it would be fun to watch society as a whole  improve. 
Relationship wise it is not a problem, but I imagine some people find it very important to get intellectual stimulation from their spouse so introducing a gap
in intelligence would cause problems. 

I also think superhero movies would get better because their lack of depth would no longer be tolerable. 

2 hours ago, chuck norris 42 said:

I really had fun thinking about this so I hope it amuses people. 

Suppose they invent smart pills but you are allergic so everyone else gets smarter but you don't improve. 

For me it would reduce my employment prospects but I would still be better of, I think a bit more intelligence would drastically improve politics 
and it would be fun to watch society as a whole  improve. 
Relationship wise it is not a problem, but I imagine some people find it very important to get intellectual stimulation from their spouse so introducing a gap
in intelligence would cause problems. 

I also think superhero movies would get better because their lack of depth would no longer be tolerable. 

Intelligence doesn’t necessarily mean you would be better off. It doesn’t make someone a better person, so some people will use their increased intelligence to explore new ways to be awful and fuck you over - e.g. more nuanced and less transparent ways of concentrating wealth to the 1%. I mean just look at the current US administration. It would be far more damaging if Trump and much of the GOP were more intelligent and didn’t make stupid blunders so often

There's that old line about Mensa being full of alcoholics.  And there has been research that suggests those with higher intelligence are more prone to addiction.  So, I guess this would just mean I'd have better conversation at the bar.

18 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

It would be far more damaging if Trump and much of the GOP were more intelligent and didn’t make stupid blunders so often

Meh, that's tricky.  If everyone was more intelligent, the electorate would presumably be more intelligent as well in the aggregate - in which case the GOP would be in big trouble.  Plus, the GOP's problems legislating have less to do with stupid blunders and more to do with they already have trouble finding a minimum winning coalition within their caucus to support such unpopular policies.

If everyone on earth suddenly became smarter than me, everyone would be talking like they are in a Shakespearean play and always talking about the stock market.

(I cannot comprehend films with that peculiar method of speech and I have zero understanding of the numbers and red and green arrows on the evening news)

On 14/01/2018 at 8:58 AM, chuck norris 42 said:

Suppose they invent smart pills

Then only the rich and powerful would have access to them, and nothing would change.

Though that could mean the US president would act a bit smarter than a six year old.

There are reports* of unprescribed use of Ritalin and similar by students and academics in highly competitive circles based on the logic of PEDs: everyone else is using them and I’ll be at a disadvantage if I don’t. 

* I don’t know if these were reliable or just a mini panic. 

On 2018-01-18 at 6:50 PM, Rippounet said:

Then only the rich and powerful would have access to them, and nothing would change.

Though that could mean the US president would act a bit smarter than a six year old.

It’s not the brain, it’s the behaviour. He’s such an asshat it’s hard to tell if he’s dumb or not...just too much 6-year old ego/machismo/Mussolini impersonation in the way. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s smarter than W, though that’s setting the bar pretty low.

edit, to be clear, the Dulles blueprint LOVED it when their target tried for ‘open’ elections, mainly because they had way more money and zero need to keep it open/play it clean themselves. 

Archived