Could Ramsay break Stannis?

Floki of the Ironborn

Based on how things could turn out in the new book, Stannis could be taken alive and placed in the grips of Ramsay Bolton. After what we’ve seen him do to Jeyne Poole and Theon Greyjoy, would Ramsay be able to reduce Stannis to such a state?

Like him or not, Stannis is one of the toughest characters in the series. He lost his parents in front of his own eyes as a kid, endured a year of slow starvation, has proven himself on the battlefield several times, he’s no Theon or Jeyne. But then again, torture is torture, and Ramsay is a virtuoso of that craft. How would such a situation turn out?

13 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Based on how things could turn out in the new book, Stannis could be taken alive and placed in the grips of Ramsay Bolton. After what we’ve seen him do to Jeyne Poole and Theon Greyjoy, would Ramsay be able to reduce Stannis to such a state?

Like him or not, Stannis is one of the toughest characters in the series. He lost his parents in front of his own eyes as a kid, endured a year of slow starvation, has proven himself on the battlefield several times, he’s no Theon or Jeyne. But then again, torture is torture, and Ramsay is a virtuoso of that craft. How would such a situation turn out?

everyone breaks under torture. Either stannis would find a way to kill himself or he would break.

24 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Any man could be broken. Big men, small men, strong men,weak men, brave men and cowards  and yes " tough" can all be broken. Stannis would scream as any other once the flaying begins. He will cry, he will scream for mercy. It's not a matter of "if" he'd break but when

@Floki of the Ironborn I think I'd rather see Bran be the all powerful time travelling every Bran ever born than see the Mannis at the Bastard's mercy.  I don't imagine Stannis would allow himself to be captured alive.  Stannis would cry and scream and ask for death, but I don't think he would be as pathetic as Theon (I hate using the term pathetic because it is not fair to Theon) - Stannis would understand quickly what was happening and how to get himself killed without humiliating himself.  Ugh Ramsay is awful, I cannot wait for him to hopefully burn.

54 minutes ago, divica said:

everyone breaks under torture. Either stannis would find a way to kill himself or he would break.

This is correct.  Anyone can be broken and Ramsay is a talented boy.  He knows his stuff.  A proud person like Stannis will find a way to kill himself rather than lose too much of his dignity.  

Stannis is one of my favourite characters, and he has proven to be able to endure a lot of terrible things, but Ramsay would break him same as any other man. Though I'd like to think that Ramsay would have to really work at breaking a man like Stannis. 

In truth, Ramsay is the ultimate bully, even moreso than Joffrey, especially in that he is a coward who only picks on those that he can easily destroy. So far, he has never really picked on someone his own size, if that expression can be used here. He's not a talented warrior, nor is he very smart. In almost any situation or scenario other than being chained up in his torture chamber, Stannis would defeat Ramsay, as would many other characters (Jon Snow, Brienne, Mance Rayder, etc).

I doubt Ramsey would want to keep him alive, and even if he did Roose would not let him. Their whole purpose is to end Stannis' claim to any part of the realm so no other Northerners can join his cause by supporting him. The best way to do that is to publicly kill or execute him and put an end to his following. Same goes for the male Starks and Jon Snow.  

Stannis would be a pretty tough nut to crack. One imagines that he wouldn't have been broken yet in the time Ramsay would have between Stannis' alleged capture and the point in time we would likely see him again.

That said, if Ramsay could really take his time with Stannis in the Dreadfort - like he did with Theon there - he most likely could break him. Although I'm inclined to believe that Stannis would likely goad Ramsay into killing him first.

Stannis has stronger mental resources than Theon. He's also smarter than Ramsey. There's a good chance Stannis could manage to kill Ramsey. After all, he's an easy man to underestimate. Skinny as a rail, elderly - and all it would take would be a moment's carelessness on Ramsey's part. Moreover, Stannis still has a good number of loyal men who would be "on the outside" and this includes men of the backwoods clans. Unlike Theon, there would be many who could and would try to effect a rescue.

That said, Roose is right there onsite. I strongly suspect he wouldn't indulge Ramsey's fun, given their precarious position under siege, in winter, hosting way too many families who apparently hate one another. Keeping "his" banners from uniting behind Stannis would be a high priority for Roose.

3 hours ago, zandru said:

Stannis has stronger mental resources than Theon. He's also smarter than Ramsey. There's a good chance Stannis could manage to kill Ramsey. After all, he's an easy man to underestimate. Skinny as a rail, elderly - and all it would take would be a moment's carelessness on Ramsey's part. Moreover, Stannis still has a good number of loyal men who would be "on the outside" and this includes men of the backwoods clans. Unlike Theon, there would be many who could and would try to effect a rescue.

That said, Roose is right there onsite. I strongly suspect he wouldn't indulge Ramsey's fun, given their precarious position under siege, in winter, hosting way too many families who apparently hate one another. Keeping "his" banners from uniting behind Stannis would be a high priority for Roose.

Stannis isn’t elderly, he’s not even 40.

31 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Stannis isn’t elderly, he’s not even 40.

That counts as pretty old in Westeros, as Varysblackfyre321 notes. Stannis's hair is graying (what little of it he doesn't trim off), his face is lined and gaunt - all things that could lead Ramsey to think him more elderly and less formidable than Stannis actually is.

Remember, at the beginning of Game of Thrones, Ned Stark is described as 35, with graying (greying?) hair and considers himself pretty old.

Unfortunately, I must admit, Stannis would break. 

A Clash of Kings - Jon I

"And his brothers?" Jon asked.

The armorer considered that a moment. "Robert was the true steel. Stannis is pure iron, black and hard and strong, yes, but brittle, the way iron gets. He'll break before he bends. And Renly, that one, he's copper, bright and shiny, pretty to look at but not worth all that much at the end of the day."

Stannis will not get captured.  If you've read the Theon chapter from TWOW you know Stannis is much better off in the field strategizing without Mel and Davos.   He is utterly glorious in his singular command without the restraints of counsel.  There is no way he will be caught by any Bolton.  He may be killed in battle, but he will not die with any flayed parts.  

Archived