Rhaegar loved Arthur and men?

AlaskanSandman

19 hours ago, wolfmaid7 said:

Kissedbyfire you not considering JonCon one of Rhaegar's closest friends does not alter the fact that he was close to Rhaegar.Close enough whereby fake or not they are associating fAegon/Aegon with him to give fAegon/Aegon credibility.

My point is, JonCon was "close" to Rhaegar, yes, but not inner circle close like Dayne. 

You also made a statement that isn't true. Dance with Dragons-The Griffin Reborn has a couple of long "sally eyed"  recollections by Joncon on Rhaegar. Even about how Elia wasn't good enough for his prince. Nothing about Lyanna.Perfect time to gripe about hiw his prince died for a flat chested tomboy.Nada.

Which statement did I make that isn't true? I said there's no one left [that we know of] from Rhaegar's inner circle to give us any info on Lyanna and/or R+L. And that was in response to you, because had said we have no one telling us of L and R. 

Lastly, if there is no one in this story who could say something and don't say anything intimate about Lyanna and Rhaegar it probably because there is nothing to tell.

I don't know how to respond to this b/c it doesn't make any sense at all...

If there's no one who could say something, the only reason nothing is ever said is because there is no one and not b/c there's nothing to be told. 

Crackpots and fan fiction aside,

Arthur was hands down Rhaegar's closest friend, but I don't think we can dismiss that Jon was among Rhaegar's closest friends and supporters. We have every reason to believe he was among a half dozen or so of whatever passed for a close friend and confidant to Rhaegar. He is a good candidate to have been with Rhaegar, Arthur, and Whent when they abducted Lyanna. The extents of his knowledge of Rhaegar and Lyanna is unknown as of now. But that GRRM has yet to have him mention anything does not tell us what he knows. We know he was at Harrenhal and we still haven't been given his reaction and thoughts on that.

14 minutes ago, Bael's Bastard said:

Arthur was hands down Rhaegar's closest friend, but I don't think we can dismiss that Jon was among Rhaegar's closest friends and supporters. We have every reason to believe he was among a half dozen or so of whatever passed for a close friend and confidant to Rhaegar. He is a good candidate to have been with Rhaegar, Arthur, and Whent when they abducted Lyanna. The extents of his knowledge of Rhaegar and Lyanna is unknown as of now. But that GRRM has yet to have him mention anything does not tell us what he knows. We know he was at Harrenhal and we still haven't been given his reaction and thoughts on that.

Like I said above, I believe they were "close". The big question, and something that is up for debate, of course is, "how close?".  For instance, I don't think he was as close as Dayne, and I definitely don't think he was one of Rhaegar's group when they "abducted" (also up for debate) Lyanna. Truth of the matter here is, we're not even sure the story about Rhaegar and a group abducting (or even meeting) Lyanna is true. Regardless, imo it doesn't make sense for someone who is in Rhaegar's inner circle to not think about anything connected to any of the events and rumours we have about R+L and the Tourney and ToJ etc etc. 

I acknowledge there are several possibilities and several paths left open. That said, I don't think it fits Martin's style and talent to have JonCon be one of Rhaegar's closest friends and one in the know and not give us any hints of this - we are after all inside JonCon's head. I think if it is revealed later that JonCon knew anything at all about R+L and never thought about it once it will feel very cheap and I have a lot more faith in Martin than that. :dunno:

6 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I acknowledge there are several possibilities and several paths left open. That said, I don't think it fits Martin's style and talent to have JonCon be one of Rhaegar's closest friends and one in the know and not give us any hints of this - we are after all inside JonCon's head. I think if it is revealed later that JonCon knew anything at all about R+L and never thought about it once it will feel very cheap and I have a lot more faith in Martin than that.

He had two chapters so far. I'm assuming 

Spoiler

Elia Sand is being put in his vicinity for that purpose. A girl who is 15 and jousts. At the very least, we might get something about Harrenhal.

I have a sort of love/hate relationship with the World book. One the one hand, super enjoy reading it, on the other hand, it makes the waters muddier. Because this is exactly what's needed. 

Jon is still a living POV, and can still reveal information. GRRM has held off on explicitly revealing RLJ, so he could still be one of the POVs that is explored and revealed through. We know he was at HH, and nothing on that yet either. So we can't dismiss just because he hasn't thought or commented on it yet.

8 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

He had two chapters so far. I'm assuming 

Hide contents

Elia Sand is being put in his vicinity for that purpose. A girl who is 15 and jousts. At the very least, we might get something about Harrenhal.

:agree:

8 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

I have a sort of love/hate relationship with the World book. One the one hand, super enjoy reading it, on the other hand, it makes the waters muddier. Because this is exactly what's needed. 

I hear ya. And while I couldn't agree more, the obfuscation can be soooo infuriating at times! :bang:

3 hours ago, wolfmaid7 said:

"He never lived, my princess. The women say …" He faltered, and Dany saw how the flesh hung loose on him, and the way he limped when he moved.

"Tell me. Tell me what the women say.

What womEn? Mirri is the only one who said anything about the baby.

Did any of her maids said anything about Dany's baby? -> No.

Did any of them saw the baby? -> No.

Did Jorah saw the baby? -> No.

3 hours ago, wolfmaid7 said:

"Monstrous. Twisted. I drew him forth myself. He was scaled like a lizard, blind, with the stub of a tail and small leather wings like the wings of a bat. When I touched him, the flesh sloughed off the bone, and inside he was full of graveworms and the stink of corruption. He had been dead for years."

Mirri is an eye witness,she was also the woman who brought him into the world dead.

Women who were around and saw gossiped about how messed up the child was.

No one was around. Jorah brought Dany inside, and after that left the two of them (and Drogo) in that tent. Other Dothraki, even her bloodriders, were too scared to go inside. None of her handmaids went inside, while Mirri was there performing her ritual. They went there only after everything was already over - next morning, after Mirri already gave the child to someone, who took it away, ALIVE.

Mirri is not just an eye witness, she's also a liar. And what exactly did she said is hinting that those are lies:

1. I drew him forth myself.

2. When I touched him, the flesh sloughed off the bone, and inside he was full of graveworms and the stink of corruption.

Don't you see absurdity of what she said? -> when she touched the baby, he supposedly disintegrated. If he disintegrated from her touch, then how did she drew him forth? Without touching him? With power of her mind? Is she a Jedy or something?

Did you ever saw how the baby is born? How the midwife/nurse/obstetrician pulls the baby out of the vagina, when the head comes out? To drew the baby forth, she had to touch him many times. So why didn't it disintegrated from the very first touch? But she claims that after she pulled him out, she had enough time to notice such specific details about his appearance, such as his scaled skin, his tail, his wings, and even his BLIND EYES. How did she knew that his eyes were blind, if the baby disintegrated when she touched him?

Just imagine mechanics of what she did. When she was pulling the baby out, was it face up, or face down? How did she saw BOTH - his blind eyes, and his stub tail? For exampe if the baby was face up, and he disintegrated when she touched him, then how did she saw his tail? To see his tail, she had to take him in hands, and turn him around, and to do that she had to touch him, but according to her words, the baby melted/disintegrated ("the flesh sloughed off the bone") from her touch. So how did she saw his tail? And if he was face down, when he was born, and she drew him out, and when she toucned him, he disintegrated, then how did she noticed his blind eyes? Absurd, absurd, absurd.

Also where are the bones? According to what Mirri said, the flesh sloughed off, but what happened with the baby's skeleton? Why wasn't it given to Dany, to be burned on Drogo's funeral pyre, alongside his father? Because the baby is alive, and it was taken away. And the lie about his horrible birth was concocted to explain why there's no any remnants left.

Also this -> "He had been dead for years." :huh: Are readers not aware that pregnancy lasts only 9 months? So WHAT years? Also Dany felt the baby move, not long prior all that situation with Drogo. So it was alive inside her, not dead for years.

Absurdity of what she said, is the clue to readers that those are LIES.

Also who do you think is stronger - Mirri, Undying, or dragons?

Undying are obviously much much stronger than Mirri and her sheep magic. But one dragon easily got thru all magic and illusions of Undying, and killed them and their Heart. And Rhaego, same as his mother, bonded with his dragon, while the Rhaegel was still in his egg. After Dany bonded with Drogo, after she saw him in her dream, and took black egg in her bed to sleep together, from then on, each day she became stronger and stronger. So Rhaego wasn't affected by Mirri's magic, even though Dany was carried inside of that tent, in the middle of dark magic ritual. The bond formed between Rhaegel and Rhaego, protected him from being harmed by black magic.

Eventually we will see, whether my theory is correct.

And it can happen even sooner than will be published last book of the ASOIAF series, or some side story or sequel about Rhaego. Because it's possible that Dany's child was taken away by those Dothraki, that left Drogo's khalasar next morning after that ritual. If that is so, then Dany will be reunited with him, shortly after beginning of TWOW. Because if some Dothraki did took away the Stallion that will mount the world, then most likely they brought him to Vaes Dothrak, to be raised by dosh khaleen. And where will those Dothraki, from Dany's last chapter in ADWD will take her? -> To Vaes Dothrak. Because she is khal's widow, and should stay for the rest of her life with dosh khaleen. And there will be their reunion. And Dany with Drogon will Dracarys those people for kidnapping their baby.

50 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

My point is, JonCon was "close" to Rhaegar, yes, but not inner circle close like Dayne. 

Which statement did I make that isn't true? I said there's no one left [that we know of] from Rhaegar's inner circle to give us any info on Lyanna and/or R+L. And that was in response to you, because had said we have no one telling us of L and R. 

I don't know how to respond to this b/c it doesn't make any sense at all...

If there's no one who could say something, the only reason nothing is ever said is because there is no one and not b/c there's nothing to be told. 

Nuh uh. You are unfairly using Rhaegar's relationship with Dayne as a qualifier to what JonCon may know or may not know.Dayne wasn't Rhaegar's only close friend who could have been told something.JonCon was a close friend of Rhaegar and amidst all that has been said on Rhaegar the only person he's irked about is Elia.

My apologies, your statement wasn't untrue nor was it true.You have a perception that unless it was an Arthur Dayne  type relationship they wouldn't know anything.

You are the one who is saying no one is left alive from Rhaegar's inner circle to tell. I am saying there is no one to tell because there is nothing to tell regarding a so call relationship. 

38 minutes ago, Bael's Bastard said:

What is crackpot and fan fiction?

Well we will wait and see "if" there's anything from JonCon.I am not holding my breath.

That this guy cleary jealous when it comes to Elia being with Rhaegar says it all to me.

13 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

It wouldn't be mystery is everyone told the truth to the reader at every turn 

What mystery? on the cover we get two camps in the series.One camp believe Rhaegar ran off with Lyanna and the other Rhaegar kidnapped and raped her.So to restate my earlier point we have beliefs and nothing but that to drive either point.In actuality we have no proof that Rhaegar loved Lyanna let alone take her.

Given what people believe in this story to be true ,its not mysterious to have a couple of people who supposedly would know to have something more substantial to say than the wide spread rumors.

This theory in actuality is based on a wide spread rumor that took on a life of its own.The culture an romanticized ideology was like kerosene on fire.

14 minutes ago, wolfmaid7 said:

Nuh uh. You are unfairly using Rhaegar's relationship with Dayne as a qualifier to what JonCon may know or may not know.Dayne wasn't Rhaegar's only close friend who could have been told something.JonCon was a close friend of Rhaegar and amidst all that has been said on Rhaegar the only person he's irked about is Elia.

"Nuh uh?" :lol:

And no, I'm not. I'm saying we know Dayne and Rhaegar were BFF, and that while JonCon was close to Rhaegar, he was not as close as he wished he were. And it's quite obvious why JonCon is irked about Elia. He was jealous, he was in love w/ Rhaegar. That doesn't in any way, shape or form mean Rhaegar ever confided in JonCon nor that Rhaegar was as close to JonCon as he was to Dayne. In fact, all the clues we get point in the opposite direction. 

My apologies, your statement wasn't untrue nor was it true.You have a perception that unless it was an Arthur Dayne  type relationship they wouldn't know anything.

I'm saying that only those (few) who were as close to Rhaegar as Dayne was would know anything about Lyanna, and JonCon was not one of them. Whoever those very close to Rhaegar were, they're either not around anymore or haven't presented themselves yet. 

You are the one who is saying no one is left alive from Rhaegar's inner circle to tell. I am saying there is no one to tell because there is nothing to tell regarding a so call relationship. 

Yeah, my apologies. I just saw on your sig that you support Robert + Lyanna = Jon. I suppose that explains why we will never see eye to eye on this. 

21 minutes ago, wolfmaid7 said:

What mystery? on the cover we get two camps in the series.One camp believe Rhaegar ran off with Lyanna and the other Rhaegar kidnapped and raped her.So to restate my earlier point we have beliefs and nothing but that to drive either point.In actuality we have no proof that Rhaegar loved Lyanna let alone take her.

Except for a member of the Kingsguard, who literally watched Rhaegar grow up. 

23 minutes ago, wolfmaid7 said:

Given what people believe in this story to be true ,its not mysterious to have a couple of people who supposedly would know to have something more substantial to say than the wide spread rumors.

but that would be giving away the mystery.  

8 hours ago, JNR said:

This has come up in Heresy before, after I pointed out that it's odd Dany thinks of her brother Rhaegar merely as "a dying prince" instead of, you know... "Rhaegar." 

@PrettyPig then pointed out that the "dying prince" vision actually matches this surprisingly well:

Here you have (1) Littlefinger's "bright blood" coming from his chest (presumably ruby-ish in color) as he takes what Cat believed was (2) a "mortal" wound, while (3) in water, and then he says (4) a woman's name, and of course (5) he also loved this woman.

Now, I'm sure people will object: "Blood isn't literally rubies, and Littlefinger isn't a literal prince, and he didn't literally die." Of course those things are true, and valid objections.  

But it's still a nice job by PrettyPig coming up with an alternative nobody but her had even considered.  

This is an excellent reminder. I had forgotten so many of the smaller details of this fight between Littlefinger and Brandon. I have much respect for you and @PrettyPig, but I can't say that I agree with Dany having any interaction with this reveal at all.

However, to me, this reads just like Anne Groell describes GRRM's "three-fold method of reveal", that GRRM is showing the readers over and over these events have happened, and will "again". And I guess by this "again" I mean as we readers discover the Trident/etc story along with Bran, Jon, Jon Con reveals, whoever, that in hindsight we can see that it was right there all along. Showing comes before plain ol' telling in the realm of writing "rules".

Plus, in the story, there is the undoubted dichotomy between the "royal" rubies and the "bastard" garnets, and both have an interplay with blood and station.

16 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I can't say that I agree with Dany having any interaction with this reveal at all.

Well, it seems that if the vision is in fact of Rhaegar, then Dany has most certainly failed to mention some striking points.  It really can't be a vision of Rhaegar, otherwise.

For instance, we know exactly how Rhaegar died:

a crushing blow from Robert's hammer stove in the dragon and the chest beneath it

We also know something about this hammer. It was:

a spiked iron warhammer that Ned could scarcely lift

We also know Rhaegar was riding his destrier, not standing, when he took this devastating blow, because:

The waters of the Trident ran red around the hooves of their destriers as they circled and clashed, again and again, until at last a crushing blow from Robert's hammer stove in the dragon and the chest beneath it

And we know what Dany sees in her vision:

Rubies flew like drops of blood from the chest of a dying prince, and he sank to his knees in the water and with his last breath murmured a woman's name

So if this vision is of Rhaegar, here's what Dany somehow left out:

1. That there was a giant warhammer embedded in her brother's chest at this exact instant, when rubies from Rhaegar's breastplate were literally flying in the air.  

Wow!  That is quite a thing for Dany not to notice or comment on, since we know she was looking directly at the dying prince's chest, and she knew it was her brother whose heart had just been destroyed.

2. She also failed to mention that Rhaegar was on a horse, not standing, when he took the blow, and yet somehow sank to his knees after taking it.  (How?)

We can suppose, I guess, that Rhaegar, after taking this crushing blow from a giant warhammer Ned couldn't lift, was knocked off his horse... and yet, in the process, he still "sank to his knees," and even though his heart had been smashed, he was nevertheless conscious and able to murmur a woman's name.

However, we don't know independently from canon that Rhaegar sank to his knees; Ned only remembers finding him dead in the stream.   We also don't know independently that Rhaegar murmured a woman's name; that idea comes exclusively from this vision, in which Dany didn't identify the prince as Rhaegar.  

Meanwhile, we know independently from canon that Littlefinger did sink to his knees, wasn't riding a horse, was conscious after taking his apparently mortal wound, and he did murmur a woman's name.

So all this seems quite... extraordinary. 

2 minutes ago, JNR said:

Well, it seems that if the vision is in fact of Rhaegar, then Dany has most certainly failed to mention some striking points.  It really can't be a vision of Rhaegar, otherwise.

We also know Rhaegar was riding his destrier, not standing, when he took this devastating blow, because:

1. That there was a giant warhammer embedded in her brother's chest at this exact instant, when rubies from Rhaegar's breastplate were literally flying in the air.  

Wow!  That is quite a thing for Dany not to notice or comment on, since we know she was looking directly at the dying prince's chest, and she knew it was her brother whose heart had just been destroyed.

2. She also failed to mention that Rhaegar was on a horse, not standing, when he took the blow, and yet somehow sank to his knees after taking it.  (How?)

We can suppose, I guess, that Rhaegar, after taking this crushing blow from a giant warhammer Ned couldn't lift, was knocked off his horse... and yet, in the process, he still "sank to his knees," and even though his heart had been smashed, he was nevertheless conscious and able to murmur a woman's name.

However, we don't know independently from canon that Rhaegar sank to his knees; Ned only remembers finding him dead in the stream.   We also don't know independently that Rhaegar murmured a woman's name; that idea comes exclusively from this vision, in which Dany didn't identify the prince as Rhaegar.  

Meanwhile, we know independently from canon that Littlefinger did sink to his knees, wasn't riding a horse, was conscious after taking his apparently mortal wound, and he did murmur a woman's name.

Time out for clarification.

Are you saying that this vision is Petyr and not Rhaegar? 

21 hours ago, JNR said:

Her brother Rhaegar was struck a mortal blow in the chest by a huge man who could only be the Usurper.  

14 minutes ago, JNR said:

That there was a giant warhammer embedded in her brother's chest

15 minutes ago, JNR said:

a spiked iron warhammer that Ned could scarcely lift

You know, I realize that some of this is meant tongue-in-cheek and emphasized for effect, but I was thinking about this legendary battle in the waters of the Trident and the parallels to Littlefinger’s duel with Brandon, and it made me wonder...

Rhaegar seemed to believe that he would return from the battle at the Trident, per his comment to Jaime.   Clearly he wasn’t expecting a meet-and-greet with Bob’s mighty warhammer.    

Littlefinger squared off with the older and larger and more skilled/better armored Brandon Stark.   

Looking at the similarities between the two events, I believe at least one of the following two things must be true:

1) both challengers, as the underdog, believed he had found a way to cheat, and best his larger/stronger opponent through trickery (see:  Loras Tyrell vs The Mountain);  both challengers were wrong.

2) both challengers expected to face off against a STARK.  Only Rhaegar was wrong.   Basically, Thor expected to fight Iron Man, but the Hulk showed up instead.  Oops!  

On 1/15/2018 at 9:17 PM, AlaskanSandman said:

Remember, Eddard didn't realize that Renly was gay. It is possible that it was a court secret

No secret at all. Loras and Renly "praying" before the Hand's Tourney, and Gregor's subsequent labeling Loras the Knight of Pansies is one clue. The exchange between Stannis and Renly regarding Margaery's virginity is also pretty telling. Ned was an outsider and wasn't looking for clues along those lines, and wasn't real perceptive, as Littlefinger points out.

And we certainly would have known from Jon Connington's thoughts if Rhaegar had preferred another man to him rather than a woman.

1 hour ago, JNR said:

I agree that the vision reads like bullet points to the story. Broad strokes over details, and I do think that author did this as to not do too much telling and showing too early in the story. However, there is another battle at the Trident that is supposed to happen... so, this could be a future vision for Daenerys with her against another "prince" (was Brandon considered a prince?). It is history repeating, just with a twist. When this happens, we will not only get the bullet points, but the details, and whole lot of oh shyteness.

47 minutes ago, PrettyPig said:

2) both challengers expected to face off against a STARK.  Only Rhaegar was wrong.   Basically, Thor expected to fight Iron Man, but the Hulk showed up instead.  Oops!  

DOH! That is a great way to put it :P

58 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

DOH! That is a great way to put it :P

Ha!  You knew I had to pitch some Marvel in there somewhere!

(and for the record, Thor vs Hulk matchups were always legendary...)

1 hour ago, PrettyPig said:

Ha!  You knew I had to pitch some Marvel in there somewhere!

(and for the record, Thor vs Hulk matchups were always legendary...)

I like this interpretation also.  What is the significance of this event to Dany?  Why is she shown this vision and why does she call him a prince?  The other possibility that comes to mind is that this is a morrow not yet made and the prince is the PtwP, Aegon.

The previous two visions are princes themselves; Viserys and we can assume Rheago and they both died.   These visions seems to be grouped together.

A Clash of Kings - Daenerys IV

Then phantoms shivered through the murk, images in indigo. Viserys screamed as the molten gold ran down his cheeks and filled his mouth. A tall lord with copper skin and silver-gold hair stood beneath the banner of a fiery stallion, a burning city behind him. Rubies flew like drops of blood from the chest of a dying prince, and he sank to his knees in the water and with his last breath murmured a woman's name. . . . mother of dragons, daughter of death . . . Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow. A cloth dragon swayed on poles amidst a cheering crowd. From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire. . . . mother of dragons, slayer of lies . . . Her silver was trotting through the grass, to a darkling stream beneath a sea of stars. A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly. A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness. . . . mother of dragons, bride of fire . . .

1 hour ago, LynnS said:

The other possibility that comes to mind is that this is a morrow not yet made and the prince is the PtwP, Aegon.

The previous two visions are princes themselves; Viserys and we can assume Rheago and they both died.   These visions seems to be grouped together

Oh my.   This is quite brilliant.  

Three princes - one past (Rhaegar), one present (Viserys) , one future (Rhaego).

. . . three treasons will you know . . . once for blood and once for gold and once for love . . .

Once for blood = Rhaegar, in a huge hint that the Lyanna ordeal may have indeed been about blood magic and sacrifice.

once for gold = Viserys, who sold his own sister out of desire for a golden crown.  

Once for love = Rhaego.  This could be referencing Dany’s unintentional sacrifice to bring back Drogo, OR...

As the vision is of a grown Rhaego, and as the events in the other two visions did actually transpire, this could indicate that the “Rhaego is alive!” theory may not be so crackpot after all and Ser Jorah Mormont has some ‘splainin to do. 

Rhaegar’s backstory turning out to be a lie - a story not about love as she has been told, but a dark story based in blood - is a treason.   Dany’s last known (to her) living relative selling her like a slave out of greed  is a treason. Someone sending her child away and claiming that this child is dead because he loves her and wants her for himself is a HUGE treason.     

Three princes, three treasons.  Daughter of death, slayer of lies.

Archived