NFL 2017 Championship: The Whiff Six

Jace, Extat

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

So what I take from this is... you hate us cause you ain't us. Cool.

No, seriously though, I get it. As my Boston-raised friend said one night after a night near some obnoxious meatheads, "There's no asshole like a Boston asshole."

3 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

You're wrong. I've heard NFL Scouts raving about how great the throw was, and it looked fucktastic to me too.

No, it wasn't the greatest pass in the history of the sport. You're right, ideally Diggs would actually catch the ball when it was already out of bounds and fall to stop the clock a la the Mario Manningham or Santonio Holmes catch but the fact that the pass wasn't literally perfect doesn't mean it was not a good throw.

How many times to you see a pass in that situation fly impotently out of bounds or flutter closer to the numbers than the boundary? Not from the likes of Ryan Lindley either, I've seen Peyton Manning mess up throws like that in and out of crunch time. I've never seen Brady do it because Bill Belichick does not sign off on the production of balls that aren't designed to be caught in the endzone :P I've seen basically every quarterback fuck up that throw.

It's always referred to as one of the hardest throws in football, the corner post basically, and I've heard that the only harder throw is to make it to the QB's non-dominant side by the likes of Tom Moore and Ernie Accorsi. There's a reason that the Cover 2 was THE STANDARD until a new influx of QB's arose who could hit that route effectively because it absolutely dogfucks that coverage (though it usually operates on a less extreme depth than what Diggs was doing, which actually makes it easier to make the throw normally).

Just look at it bro. The incoming tackle aside, Kase put the ball where Diggs had his shot to catch it. And if Wilson hits him I think there's a fair chance it's pass interference (notice Wilson is already passing under Diggs when he catches the ball).

AND after all that, you can not say that if Wilson doesn't totally whiff that the game is over. Diggs is a motivated man, as I'm sure you know, and he knew the score. He hits the ground two strong steps from the sideline. If you think that the throw was anything other than a great pass to give a player a chance to do his job then you need glasses holmes. ;)

Dude, it's ok! You can celebrate. I bet you're just in shock and are setting yourself up against possible heartbreak in the next three weeks. I say that in love brother.

25 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

My vote for worst fans is the Steelers. And it's not even close. @Joe Pesci is good people, but’s he’s a rare exception. :P

I mean, is there anything more annoying than those fucking towels?

Talk about a great cause co-opted by evil. Like the Nazi party in the Weimar Republic.

:(

At least one of these 3 (Bortles, Keenum, Foles) and possible 2 of the 3 will be a starting QB in the 2018 SB. Its all so surreal, I dont think I'd believe anyone in America if they claimed this prediction from preseason.

Its going to be the unlikeliest SB matchup in sometime and thats exactly what im enjoying about this post season. My favored matchup would be Keenum vs Bortles, that would be so fitting an end to this season.

Maybe you guys were right to call me out for the charge of "having no loyalty" as I believe it was, because even though I caught most of the Colts games this year despite the dismal record I'm quite on board with the Jaguars. And yes, I do still know that the Jags are in the AFC South too. I really can not quite help myself though. I quite enjoy defensive football and I have a theory that my fandom has suffered so much because I just don't like the kind of ball the Colts have played over the years. Hopefully McDaniels can bring on somebody who really knows his defense. 

I know you can probably go back and cite me speaking well of him after the Denver Debacle and I do think he has undeniable talent that deserves a second chance, I'm just not entirely sold because as I said I like defensive ball. And in addition to the terrific defense and outsized personalities the quarter back is truly dreadful to behold. I missed the days of the 02 Bucs and the 2000 Ravens, and I could not enjoy the Broncos success in 2014 due to Manning's reintroduction to the starting role at the end of the year. So I think this is my first time seeing the legendary and elusive Epic Defense and Abysmal quarter back and being in a position to enjoy it, the fact that Manning did bring the ability to diagnose the defense is also relevant in my opinion so he doesn't quite qualify anyway. 

So there it is. I am on the Jaguars bandwagon. I have never really liked them, and in fact I have been more or less indifferent outside of the occasional thrashing they could deliver in the Manning heyday. So I have no qualms breaching party lines and enjoying the show. 

It helps that I am very conflicted about the NFC side because everyone loves an underdog story of course in Minnesota, but Philadelphia also has overcome quite a bit this year. I was ambivalent about Wentz but Foles has a fair story if he actually can get the team to the promised land too. Not to mention that both teams as a whole have never won a championship and I don't have any dislike for either squad in particular to give me a rooting interest. So that is a push as far as I am concerned. I will enjoy all three of the teams that aren't the evil and perfidious Patriots. 

I know it's unworthy of me on an intellectual level but I cannot wait for that dynasty to fall. It has been long enough. I think that after the Monkey House experience that was Deflate Gate and the repeated beatings have mellowed most Colts fans I know. Even when I was living in Indiana during the entire thing everyone I knew from the casual fan to the likes that could stand in here with you guys were more embarrassed and ashamed of Grigson than anything. 

I certainly hope that the rivalry is not dead, but it is very clear that it has entered a dormant state. I believe a certain Pony queen is evidence of that :P 

Is anyone else feeling the Jaguars love? I know nobody thinks they have a chance, and of course there is a reason for that but I am getting on board none the less. Really anyone other than the Patriots again. No offense rock and DG. I don't want to get banned again :P 

And it is good to see the occasional post from Fez too, I felt like your commentary has been very sporadic for a couple of years.

I'm trying not to get so hot and bothered by criticism of my team or fandom, so go to town, WF.

I, for one, will never object to a Colts fan turning to the Jags (unless the Jags become perennial contenders, and then fuck them). It's hard to be hostile to the Jags given their history, and their owner seems like a decent guy?

Plus all their shit-talking after beating the Steelers was magnificent.

Calais Campbell on The Steelers: "Hey look, they're a great team and.." Marcell Dareus jumps in..."Stop saying they are a great team. They just got their ass whooped"

More from Jackson--..."They received an ass kicking and acted like they didn't get their asses kicked so we did it again. Now they are gonna have a long offseason & worry abt how the Jags kicked their ass."

https://deadspin.com/the-jaguars-talked-just-ungodly-amounts-of-shit-1822092085

19 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'm trying not to get so hot and bothered by criticism of my team or fandom, so go to town, WF.

I, for one, will never object to a Colts fan turning to the Jags (unless the Jags become perennial contenders, and then fuck them). It's hard to be hostile to the Jags given their history, and their owner seems like a decent guy?

Plus all their shit-talking after beating the Steelers was magnificent.

https://deadspin.com/the-jaguars-talked-just-ungodly-amounts-of-shit-1822092085

Exactly. How have you been keeping pal? 

I like to think that I only needed one asskicking from you of comparable proportions before I chose the friendship routine. 

It's Sivin by the way. I'm a lady now. Just to be clear :P 

2 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

Exactly. How have you been keeping pal? 

I like to think that I only needed one asskicking from you of comparable proportions before I chose the friendship routine. 

It's Sivin by the way. I'm a lady now. Just to be clear :P 

I knew it was you. :P I remembered you asking about good places to move to a while ago, and have been wondering how it's been for you. If you ever do wish to infiltrate Belichick Country, I've got some local contacts you might find helpful.

Things are good for me. I've got a son now, born just hours before the Pats' first game of the 2014 season, which made it super convenient to tell how old he was those first few months.

I don't even hate the Colts that much any more! I mean, mostly it's their competitive irrelevance, and they've probably suffered enough, and I do wish well for Jacoby Brissett.

40 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I knew it was you. :P I remembered you asking about good places to move to a while ago, and have been wondering how it's been for you. If you ever do wish to infiltrate Belichick Country, I've got some local contacts you might find helpful.

Things are good for me. I've got a son now, born just hours before the Pats' first game of the 2014 season, which made it super convenient to tell how old he was those first few months.

I don't even hate the Colts that much any more! I mean, mostly it's their competitive irrelevance, and they've probably suffered enough, and I do wish well for Jacoby Brissett.

Hey man, like I'm preaching over in Gen Chat. If Pats and Colts fans can come together after all the football and then... that other thing.... then maybe there is hope in this country after all :)

8 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

Hey man, like I'm preaching over in Gen Chat. If Pats and Colts fans can come together after all the football and then... that other thing.... then maybe there is hope in this country after all :)

I think, if we can have a national political reconciliation in the model of Pats and Colts fans, it would have to start with the reduction of one side to a non-competitive dumpster fire, like the last couple Colts seasons. And maybe that's what's coming for the Republicans in the fall. One can hope, anyway.

(This is a tough comparison to make given the Kraft, Belichick, and Brady's past support for Pres Shithole, but humor me)

10 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I think, if we can have a national political reconciliation in the model of Pats and Colts fans, it would have to start with the reduction of one side to a non-competitive dumpster fire, like the last couple Colts seasons. And maybe that's what's coming for the Republicans in the fall. One can hope, anyway.

(This is a tough comparison to make given the Kraft, Belichick, and Brady's past support for Pres Shithole, but humor me)

Exactly. Being Grigson doesn't protect politicians from their constituents. It makes them fill their roster with overpriced Free Agents that seemed shiny at the time but had character flaws.

And sure, maybe your ability to pass every now and then covers up the holes for a while but eventually the whole rotten structure will be exposed. 

The thing about Termites is that they don't simply live in perpetuity in your house, eventually their systematic erosion of the foundation becomes impossible to ignore.

ETA: I think I've got bugs on the brain :P 

Look at all the love being thrown around the thread I'd already done you the service of replacing! I don't want to be immodest, but clearly my rants of late have resonated deeply with the people.

And I would like to personally apologize to myself on behalf of all of you.

And that apology is NOT accepted!

What in god's green name is this!?! Colts fans and Patriots fans living in peace!?! If this is the state of my fanbase, from which I had previously thought I was separated only by measurement of miles, then we need to clean up this mess! They're crooks, get 'em out of there! The Patriots? Are you kidding me with these guys? These Patriots. BALLGHAZI! When the hell are we going to know what happened in BALLGHAZI!?! I'll tell you, I'll find out! Just get me in there and we'll finally do what those liars and deep state! The Deep State! We're going to find out about this deep state people! I mean the Patriots, just look at the Patriots! These Patriots, when are we going to look at these guys!?! I mean we have Baby Brady! He's out there, and every time... every TIME!... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... They're getting away with Ball-GHAZI! And the commissioner! We know all about him don't we? He's soft on penalties, he doesn't want to protect the players. He's soft! He's soft on the players, that's just how it is folks. And I'm going to get up there and tell that commissioner YOU'RE....... sfsfs fewffgjdgljlsjf -unintelligible gibbering- I mean this commissioner is SO SOFT on these "defensive" players! They should get to play too! That's what they say! I know, but that's what they say. But you know what I say? NO MORE! No more being soft on penalties! And these defenders, they're not sending their best people past the border of scrimmage people! They're sending their rapists and abusers! And some of them I'm sure, are also Mexican! These People! They have no idea! They have no idea! I'm going to get in there and turn it around, and I will. Because what are they going to do? Tell me no you can't? Please get out of our league headquarters office? No! They won't say it! Not to me! Not to me! And the Patriots, oh the Pitiful Patriots! WE'RE GOING TO GET to the BOTTOM of this. And what are we going to do to them?

55 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Look at all the love being thrown around the thread I'd already done you the service of replacing! I don't want to be immodest, but clearly my rants of late have resonated deeply with the people.

And I would like to personally apologize to myself on behalf of all of you.

And that apology is NOT accepted!

What in god's green name is this!?! Colts fans and Patriots fans living in peace!?! If this is the state of my fanbase, from which I had previously thought I was separated only by measurement of miles, then we need to clean up this mess! They're crooks, get 'em out of there! The Patriots? Are you kidding me with these guys? These Patriots. BALLGHAZI! When the hell are we going to know what happened in BALLGHAZI!?! I'll tell you, I'll find out! Just get me in there and we'll finally do what those liars and deep state! The Deep State! We're going to find out about this deep state people! I mean the Patriots, just look at the Patriots! These Patriots, when are we going to look at these guys!?! I mean we have Baby Brady! He's out there, and every time... every TIME!... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... They're getting away with Ball-GHAZI! And the commissioner! We know all about him don't we? He's soft on penalties, he doesn't want to protect the players. He's soft! He's soft on the players, that's just how it is folks. And I'm going to get up there and tell that commissioner YOU'RE....... sfsfs fewffgjdgljlsjf -unintelligible gibbering- I mean this commissioner is SO SOFT on these "defensive" players! They should get to play too! That's what they say! I know, but that's what they say. But you know what I say? NO MORE! No more being soft on penalties! And these defenders, they're not sending their best people past the border of scrimmage people! They're sending their rapists and abusers! And some of them I'm sure, are also Mexican! These People! They have no idea! They have no idea! I'm going to get in there and turn it around, and I will. Because what are they going to do? Tell me no you can't? Please get out of our league headquarters office? No! They won't say it! Not to me! Not to me! And the Patriots, oh the Pitiful Patriots! WE'RE GOING TO GET to the BOTTOM of this. And what are we going to do to them?

Were you trying to do an impression of Trump if he cared about sports? Because your post was truly excellent in that regard. 

I have to give the worst fanbase to Philly. My fellow co-workers in Philly only pop in to say high when their team wins. I'll even try to have a normal conversation with them about sports and they always turn the attention back to what's going on in Philly, and how this is the year! Earlier this year I complimented the Eagles team and how dominant they were. All I got back were 'Steelers suck' yada yada. It's like they physically can't muster a compliment to another sports franchise outside Philly. 

I saw @Nictarion's nomination. Nic, I'll have to gift you a Pittsburgh Steelers chapstick to wipe that chapped ass with! ;) 

Responding to @Rockroi here:

But in fairness, do you know how long l have hung around specifically because when the Pats DO lose I will be here to take my lumps?  Look at where we are- look at it.  We are in a Song of Ice and Fire message board.  That means the ONE commonality all the people who post here have are the books of George RR Martin and/or the HBO show.  

And the last time a book was published from this guy was 2011.... let that sink in for a second... nearly seven YEARS ago... yet here I am.  Why? 

Its not because I am waiting for the books - though he did say he may have a book in 2018 (but that may be his history book about the Targs... I swear I am not making that up).  I am here so that when the Pats get bad, I can be a man of my word and say "Let me have it."  I EARNED that ribbing.  

Because the 5 Superbowl wins, 7 Superbowls overall, 13 AFC Championship Games, 15 Division Titles, 26 playoff wins, over 200 wins overall, countless records, awards, great moments etc... the Pats could go 0-for their next six seasons, it could not tarnish how mindbogglingly amazing these last 16 seasons have been.  

So I think hanging out here long enough to give my opponents my comeuppance is more than fair.

That's what you all meant by insufferable, right?

I hang around mostly for the community, but in a lot of ways my community here is mostly the NFL thread, so I get what you mean. You don't even have to wait for the wheels to come off to take your lumps -- I know we both took it all in from posters here after the Super Bowl losses. I'm not sure where I'll be when the Pats' incredible run ends, but I didn't anticipate being on these boards for twelve years when I first joined, so it's probably a good bet I'll be around.

Do you suppose the next book will be out before the Patriots have a losing season?

1 hour ago, IamMe90 said:

Were you trying to do an impression of Trump if he cared about sports? Because your post was truly excellent in that regard. 

She's spoofing the SNL skit where Melissa McCarthy as Sean Spicer is berating the room of White House reporters. 

Anyway Sunday was the most amazing day of playoff football I can ever recall. Just 7 hours of batshit crazy.  I would argue Marcus Williams made the single worst play in NFL history considering the stage and consequences. Never seen anything like it. The closest we have is kickers shanking game-winning/game tying kicks but that's almost mundane compared to what Williams did.

The unfortunate upshot of it is though is a way less interesting pair of championship games. I wanted Brees vs. Ryan and one more Pats/Steelers AFCG. Brady and 3 journeyman (or worse) QBs doesn't do it for me. 

I expect a Vikings-Pats Superbowl and that's kinda fun from a David and Goliath standpoint. The team with 5 Superbowl wins against the one with 4 Superbowl losses and a cursed history. And on the plus side the Pats never blow anyone out in Superbowls. Just not expecting much from this weekend. 

16 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

She's spoofing the SNL skit where Melissa McCarthy as Sean Spicer is berating the room of White House reporters. 

Ahh, i can totally see that now, thanks. I still totally reminded me of Trump though. 

17 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Ryan and one more Pats/Steelers AFCG. Brady and 3 journeyman (or worse) QBs doesn't do it for me. 

I expect a Vikings-Pats Superbowl and that's kinda fun from a David and Goliath standpoint. The team with 5 Superbowl wins against the one with 4 Superbowl losses and a cursed history. And on the plus side the Pats never blow anyone out in Superbowls. Just not expecting much from this weekend. 

it'll either be really sad and blah if Minnesota loses, or it'll be really fuckin' amazing if they win. There won't be much of a middle ground here for me. 

Archived