NFL 2017 Championship: The Whiff Six

Jace, Extat

I bought a NY Strip from the grocery this morning, just on a whim y'know? And it's like a stunningly nice cut of meat. I usually get my shit at an actual market, but this is a pretty good looking strip.

Not like I'm gonna start getting food from the store or anything, but a pretty nice surprise. I figured it'd have  a bit of discoloration or something hidden by the tag but no.

Sometimes life doesn't kick you in the vulva.

So, I was at a friend's place watching the game that seemed to be unfolding like the 2013 loss to the Ravens.  The Pats couldn't get anything consistent on O; the D was giving up chunks of yardage; there was a fumble, a concussion, and it all seemed to be falling apart.  After the fumble I said that the Jags were just the more physical team. Losing Gronk seemed like the way the Pats would lose and without him, with no Edleman, it was hard to figure out how the Pats could produce points on the best passing D in the NFL.  

Right around when the fumble happened, I checked the stats on the game- the Jags were, at the time, 6-for-10 on third down conversions.  Pats were 1-for-8

But the Pats hung on; forced a punt and then converted on third and 18. And then it all went to the Pats.  Once the Pats forced Bortles to throw, stopped the run and imposed their will on the LOS, the Jags could get nothing going and their offense collapsed.  When the game was put in Bortkes' hands, they fell, much in the way every pundit had predicted. 

While the Jags were 6-for-10 on 3rd down through 3 quarters (more or less), they went 0-for-their-last 5 on third down conversions.  That was the difference maker,.  

Meanwhile, the GOAT wrote another chapter; another desperate comeback.  Brady's 4th quarter numbers were crazy- 9-for-13, 140 yards and 2 TDs.  And without his best offenses weapons.  And when it came down to it, Cooks gave them the yards and Danny Amendola got two TDs, a HUGE 4th-down conversion, and an EVEN BIGGER third-and-18.  While Brady's throwing hand proved to be a complete non-factor, the biggest take-away, though, was how Amendola stepped up and played a gigantic game when the Pats needed it the most.  

Brady was about as Brady as I have ever seen him.  Brady was as clutch, as dialed in and as focused as I have ever seen him.  And against a team that not only eliminated his best weapon in the first half but seemed to have him figured out.  

Oh, and that hit on Gronk was 100% intentional.  Asshole.  

But Brady was Brady and if you are going to have the mantle of "Greatest of All Time" you have to win Championship games without your best weapons against the best Defense you will face all season.  And do it at the last minute.  

Pats are one win away from filling their Infinity Gauntlet.  It never gets old. 

11 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

Oh, and that hit on Gronk was 100% intentional.  Asshole.  

I want to hesitate calling that hit intentional.  But, when the player that all of the experts have said will cause your team the most problem is suddenly hit like that and the defense seems to celebrate and congratulate the hitter (almost like he just collected a bounty) was a bit dodgy to me.  No one will care because it was against the Patriots, but it did look a little dirty to me.

Tom Brady showed, once again, why he is the GOAT at the QB position (even me, a diehard Peyton fan who argued for years against Brady has to admit it).  I don't think I have ever seen a QB do more with less than Tom.  Must be nice to be a Patriots fan.

Archived