NFL 2017 Championship: The Whiff Six

Jace, Extat

Bunch of things thinking about that Eagles blow-out.

-The first thing that jumps to my mind is how the Eagles don't SEEM to have a QB problem any more.  Foles looks confident and strong back there and has 3 legit scary targets to throw to. 

-Meanwhile the Eagles D seems as good as ever. 

-Never been happier to see a 2-week bye with Gronk's injury.  Concussions are freaky things and, hopefully, Gronk gets better by THIS Sunday and works it out from there.  No Gronk crushes the Pats chances.  

-FO and 528 seem to have the sense of it- Pats as a favorite, but not a huge one (60-40 ish) 

-One of the biggest advantages the Pats have is SB experience.  I used to not believe that was a thing, but last year showed me otherwise.  The Pats had a HUGE advantage in experience over the Falcons and it showed as the game wore on.  That MAY be something to look at this time around.

-The Vikings were a tad overrated but I never thought they would be THAT outclassed today.  I honestly expected the Pats to blow out the Jags and for the NFC game to be close, not the other way around. 

Just thinking that back this time in 2014 I am thinking rather Nick Foles will be able to win the Eagles a Superbowl. His 2013 season was incredible, led the team to the division title at 10-6, and look to be the QB to run Chip Kelly's offense. In the playoffs against the Saints his last throw was a TD but left too much time for Drew Brees and lost to the Saints on a FG as time expired. Then in the 2014 season he lead the Eagles to 6-2 but was having a mediocre season, and then Foles got injured and the Eagles missed the playoffs at 10-6 under Mr. Butt-Fumble.  In the off season we traded Foles to St. Louis Rams for Bradshaw and felt very indifferent. The team then revolted and ousted Chip Kelly and salvage out a 7-9 season in 2015.  We then got a coach with connections to Andy Reid, traded up for Carson Wentz, traded Bradshaw to the Vikings a week before the start of the season, and proceeded to a promising 7-9 2016 season while Foles was a back-up in Kansas City. Foles was picked up in the off-season to be the team's back-up and a team looking to get to 10 wins. The team was at 10 wins by week 12 with Wentz playing at a MVP level. Then came the game against the Los Angeles Rams and Wentz busted his leg rushing for a TD that was called back on a Penalty. Wentz finished the drive with a Franchise Record setting TD pass on a 4th down play.  The Rams scored a TD on their next possession, and Foles proceed to put together two drives for FG and the Eagles eked out a win.  Foles had a great game against the Giants in a win, and mediocre in a win against the Raiders which clinched the 1st seed at 13-3 (Dallas game was irrelevant).

Now, I am thinking if Nick Foles can win the Eagles Superbowl in two weeks against the defending SB champs Patriots who the team lost to in SB XXXIX (played in Jacksonville) when they were the defending SB champs (only time Patriots were back-to-back champs).

Also, 2004 playoffs Eagles beat Minnesota Vikings and then the Atlanta Falcons to reach the SB while this year we beat the Falcons and then the Vikings.

Do not how much this will go in strange and odd story but it has given me one hell of a ride.

Foles' 2013 Season

Spoiler
No. Player  Age Pos G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD
9 Nick Foles* 24 QB 13 10 8-2-0 203 317 64.0 2891 27 8.5 2 0.6 63 9.1 10.5 14.2 222.4 119.2 72.0 28 173 7.88 9.18 8.1 1 1

2014 Season

Spoiler
No. Player  Age Pos G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD
9 Nick Foles 25 QB 8 8 6-2-0 186 311 59.8 2163 13 4.2 10 3.2 68 7.0 6.3 11.6 270.4 81.4 67.5 9 74 6.53 5.93 2.8 2 3

7 hours ago, Rockroi said:

Bunch of things thinking about that Eagles blow-out.

-The first thing that jumps to my mind is how the Eagles don't SEEM to have a QB problem any more.  Foles looks confident and strong back there and has 3 legit scary targets to throw to. 

-Meanwhile the Eagles D seems as good as ever. 

-Never been happier to see a 2-week bye with Gronk's injury.  Concussions are freaky things and, hopefully, Gronk gets better by THIS Sunday and works it out from there.  No Gronk crushes the Pats chances.  

-FO and 528 seem to have the sense of it- Pats as a favorite, but not a huge one (60-40 ish) 

-One of the biggest advantages the Pats have is SB experience.  I used to not believe that was a thing, but last year showed me otherwise.  The Pats had a HUGE advantage in experience over the Falcons and it showed as the game wore on.  That MAY be something to look at this time around.

-The Vikings were a tad overrated but I never thought they would be THAT outclassed today.  I honestly expected the Pats to blow out the Jags and for the NFC game to be close, not the other way around. 

In Playoff and Super Bowl games The Patriots are relentless.  They have the ability to shut down the opposing teams most potent weapons. 

10 hours ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

Stop yelling at me!

:P

Chris Simms is like a top 2 football analyst, holy shit! This dude is like the polar opposite of his dad, I cannot recommend enough that you check out Pro Football Talk where he co hosts with Mike Florio who is a titan of the craft in his own right.

Not a whole lot to say after that game.  Keenum played his worst game of the year and couldn't keep his defense off the field.  Couple that with the Vikings top DB and safety not playing most of the game, and Smith having his worst defensive game of his career, and you get that torching.  That was hard to watch.

NickFolian Dynamite looked Wentzian out there. I'll say this, once comfortable in a system, he's shown flashes of being very good. Seems like he can range from great to terrible depending on his confidence level in the moment. I expect him to play just well enough in the Superbowl to lose by 3 points as Tom Brady requires.  

Still I'm happy for the long-suffering Eagles fans, the NFL's classiest fanbase:

Archived