NFL 2017 Championship: The Whiff Six

Jace, Extat

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Guarantee Vince McMahon will cater to every MAGA criticism of the NFL. A league laden with shitty and/or overly concussed players is the football that all the right-wingers who claimed they stopped watching the NFL over guys kneeling during the anthem deserve.

I think a second football league could survive but i doubt XFL2 is the way to do it.

If i had the capitol i would do the following.

-Start small in MLS stadiums.

-bring in several big name option QBs who couldnt make it the NFL.

-no huddles allowed, shorten the play clock to speed up the game and encourage spread offenses.

-no punts allowed past your 40 yard line, smart football isnt always entertaining and scoring would be key. 

-market the hell out of any big name college players i could at first, then top RBs as the season went on.

Make it a mostly option league with games lasting an hour and a half ot two with lots of explosive scoring.

4 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Guarantee Vince McMahon will cater to every MAGA criticism of the NFL. A league laden with shitty and/or overly concussed players is the football that all the right-wingers who claimed they stopped watching the NFL over guys kneeling during the anthem deserve.

My only question right now is which team will wear uniforms made to look like the US flag...or if they all will?

2 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

I agree with you, but how much further could the XFL really take it?  The NFL is already well steeped in America, Fuck Yeah! bullshit with the huge flags, the flyovers, salute to the troops, etc.  Until the NFL allowed the kneeling thing, the league's politics were firmly conservative. 

I suppose they could have red white and blue footballs (didn't American gladiators do that?) and call it the "Salute our Troops" halftime show. 

9 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

My only question right now is which team will wear uniforms made to look like the US flag...or if they all will?

The Orlando Old Glorys vs. Las Vegas Pepes will be lit.

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I agree with you, but how much further could the XFL really take it?  The NFL is already well steeped in America, Fuck Yeah! bullshit with the huge flags, the flyovers, salute to the troops, etc.  Until the NFL allowed the kneeling thing, the league's politics were firmly conservative. 

I suppose they could have red white and blue footballs (didn't American gladiators do that?) and call it the "Salute our Troops" halftime show. 

So they'll wrap themselves in the flag NFL style for sure but I think they'll also distinguish themselves more based on Trump's criticisms about how the NFL has become a pussy league. All the rules protecting WRs and QBs go away. Return to the old kickoff rules. Little to no concussion protocol. Dramatically fewer flags. Anything that ups the violence and lessens the "regulation/nanny-stating" of the NFL 

17 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

So they'll wrap themselves in the flag NFL style for sure but I think they'll also distinguish themselves more based on Trump's criticisms about how the NFL has become a pussy league. All the rules protecting WRs and QBs go away. Return to the old kickoff rules. Little to no concussion protocol. Dramatically fewer flags. Anything that ups the violence and lessens the "regulation/nanny-stating" of the NFL 

At this point, wouldn't they need to require more insurance for the players and the league? They may have been able to skirt passed rules previously -- out of ignorance (both intentional and not) -- but I wouldn't think they'd be able to now.

15 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

True, but the XFL already did that, and it totally backfired.  I remember XFL actually advertised "no fair catches, no pass interference, this league isn't for wimps!"  But the implications of that were obvious, long passes are impossible if pass interference is legal.  Likewise teams just stopped fielding short punts, and let them bounce.  Nothing more exciting than a punt not getting caught eh?

For the rules protecting WRs and QBs from cheap shots, you can get some short term benefit.  Lots of people love big hits.  But again, if having "enforcers" in football is a thing, then the actually skilled qbs and wrs get knocked out and the passing game goes to crap.  We're back to 3 yards and a cloud of dust kinda football, which can't possibly compete with the NFL.

All of the NFL's rule changes were made to protect the passing game, because the NFL made the decision that 31-35 games were more exciting (and better for the league) than a 10-9 slugfest.  Most of Trump's stupid suggestions go the opposite direction.  There may be a few people who long for the days of 1980s football when Lawrence Taylor and Ronnie Lott were allowed to murder people on the field, but most people don't want to see it. 

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

Eh...WWE takes concussions pretty seriously.  They won't let Daniel Bryan wrestle because he's more popular than Roman Reigns of his history of head injuries.  Granted, I'm sure the only reason they give a shit is because of lawsuits and liability, but that won't change with the XFL.

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

Plus stuff like the cheerleader locker room cameras that the original XFL had.

19 minutes ago, Week said:

At this point, wouldn't they need to require more insurance for the players and the league? They may have been able to skirt passed rules previously -- out of ignorance (both intentional and not) -- but I wouldn't think they'd be able to now.

I don't know how that works. How's he able to get away with treating his wrestlers like dogshit and shortening their life expectancy well beyond even NFL levels? Is it the difference between "entertainment" and "sports"? 

18 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

True, but the XFL already did that, and it totally backfired.  I remember XFL actually advertised "no fair catches, no pass interference, this league isn't for wimps!"  But the implications of that were obvious, long passes are impossible if pass interference is legal.  Likewise teams just stopped fielding short punts, and let them bounce.  Nothing more exciting than a punt not getting caught eh?

For the rules protecting WRs and QBs from cheap shots, you can get some short term benefit.  Lots of people love big hits.  But again, if having "enforcers" in football is a thing, then the actually skilled qbs and wrs get knocked out and the passing game goes to crap.  We're back to 3 yards and a cloud of dust kinda football, which can't possibly compete with the NFL.

All of the NFL's rule changes were made to protect the passing game, because the NFL made the decision that 31-35 games were more exciting (and better for the league) than a 10-9 slugfest.  Most of Trump's stupid suggestions go the opposite direction.  There may be a few people who long for the days of 1980s football when Lawrence Taylor and Ronnie Lott were allowed to murder people on the field, but most people don't want to see it. 

Oh agreed. It's dumb as fuck. Not sure what possible rationale there is to think the XFL would work now when it didn't work in 2001. Seems to me the only possible rationale I could see McMahon having is that America is more divided now than in pre-9/11 2001 and there's some people willing to support an inferior product in things like football and public officials so long as it plays to their sensibilities and grievances.  

52 minutes ago, briantw said:

Eh...WWE takes concussions pretty seriously.  They won't let Daniel Bryan wrestle because he's more popular than Roman Reigns of his history of head injuries.  Granted, I'm sure the only reason they give a shit is because of lawsuits and liability, but that won't change with the XFL.

When did this start? I don't watch WWE. But I'm pretty clear on the fact that they've treated their wrestlers horrifically over the decades and an appalling number have died very young. 

2 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

When did this start? I don't watch WWE. But I'm pretty clear on the fact that they've treated their wrestlers horrifically over the decades and an appalling number have died very young. 

Around the same time the NFL had to start taking head injuries seriously due to CTE becoming common knowledge.

They still treat their wrestlers pretty horrifically, but they take head injuries seriously due to the obvious legal liabilities.  

5 hours ago, Fez said:

Alpha Entertainment?! And it's the XFL, with all that that means? Let me guess, the slogan'll be:

XFL. It's not for cucks!

:thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Jaime L said:

4 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Off the top of my head:

• Bring the players onto the field in giant pickup trucks with tons of flags
  • If Boise State can paint it's turf blue, the XFL can paint their turf like one giant flag
  • Have a rule where if you protest during the anthem, you get a flag pole run through you like Mel Gibson did to that English fella in The Patriot
  • Have the cheerleaders wear skimpy costumes partially made by flags
  • Speaking of cheerleaders, let the players hook up with them in the tunnel after they score a TD
  • And make sure it's partially visible
  • Since we're being absolute pigs, have some Jacelyns of the Night at the stadium
  • Ban all doctors from the field
  • The refs must be veterans
  • Hell, make sure everyone is a veteran
  • Consider placing a few chained up lions and tigers around the field to bring back the glory days of the Colosseum
  • Also, consider letting the lions and tigers fight for the halftime show

I'm sure there's a lot more to pull out from this well, but that's all I've got for now. 

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

:thumbsup:

Off the top of my head:

• Bring the players onto the field in giant pickup trucks with tons of flags
  • If Boise State can paint it's turf blue, the XFL can paint their turf like one giant flag
  • Have a rule where if you protest during the anthem, you get a flag pole run through you like Mel Gibson did to that English fella in The Patriot
  • Have the cheerleaders wear skimpy costumes partially made by flags
  • Speaking of cheerleaders, let the players hook up with them in the tunnel after they score a TD
  • And make sure it's partially visible
  • Since we're being absolute pigs, have some Jacelyns of the Night at the stadium
  • Ban all doctors from the field
  • The refs must be veterans
  • Hell, make sure everyone is a veteran
  • Consider placing a few chained up lions and tigers around the field to bring back the glory days of the Colosseum
  • Also, consider letting the lions and tigers fight for the halftime show

I'm sure there's a lot more to pull out from this well, but that's all I've got for now. 

Execute the quarterbacks that slide because they're the intelligent ones and we can't let them infect the others.

Archived