A real American hero...

PetyrPunkinhead

On 1/26/2018 at 0:52 AM, Triskele said:

I'm surprised that some of you guys are hating on Chait for saying there's some reservation about the judge.  Don't let me put words in anyone's mouth, but why is that so controversial?  Nassar is a real villain who just got the book thrown at him and then some; real justice being served.  I am sure that neither Chait nor anyone else is questioning that element.  

What's being questioned is the role of the judge not just in meting out justice but in being, to the extent it can be done, being a neutral actor.  Blind statue of justice and all.  

Chait wasn't talking about the actual sentence.  He was talking about the extent to which the judge editorialized; not really their role.  

It's controversial because (male) judges have no issue inserting their opinions during sentencing. See any numerous examples of shaming sexual assault victims, the poor and of course decisions sparing the guilty parties so as to not ruin their lives due to a (rape) mistake.

It's refreshing to see a judge soundly and definitively advocate for the victims. Nassar pled guilty so it wasn't a trial but a sentencing hearing. Did you read the excerpts from his letter to the court? The judge showed absolute restraint. This theater of concern over her 'behaviour' is what is concerning. Given how many victims the judge granted statements to it's quite clear it was not about her.

On 1/26/2018 at 7:05 AM, Nasty LongRider said:

The UoM is getting a very black eye and hearing about how the girls told so many coaches, officials and others from the school who did nothing is really a horrible story. 

Correction: in Michigan "UoM" would be the University of Michigan. The institution that is getting a black eye is Michigan State University (MSU), which is a completely separate university.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/27/us/michigan-state-attorney-general-nassar-investigation/index.html

10 minutes ago, Triskele said:

My main point, which I don't think I explained very well, was just that I think a "get fucked" type of reaction to people reiterating that the judge went to a place that is not really the role of the judiciary, struck me as a harsh reaction.  And so I wondered if that reaction was coming from a place of "does guy on internet even realize what happened here" or if it was coming from a place of saying it's out of line to criticize any of proceedings.

I do appreciate that this is hardly the first time that a judge has given it to a defendant and that if there was ever a time to do it, this was it. 

Chait's condescension trigged my potty mouth.  So what.  

Archived