U.S. Politics: Girthers Vs. Anti-Girthers

Martell Spy

Please continue.

Ryan’s Strategy May Be Backfiring, Earning GOP Blame for a Government Shutdown

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/01/ryans-spending-bill-strategy-may-be-backfiring.html

No, Apple Is Not Creating 20,000 Jobs Because of the Tax Bill

https://slate.com/business/2018/01/no-apple-is-not-creating-20-000-jobs-because-of-the-tax-bill.html

The Women’s March Was Just the Beginning
All across the country, activists inspired to fight Trump are building a new kind of feminist movement.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/01/the-womens-march-was-just-the-beginning.html

The “Crap Sandwich” Debate
Conservatives consider whether to accept another continuing resolution or push for more.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/01/house-republicans-prefer-crap-sandwich-to-government-shutdown.html

7 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I know I participated in the "Trump is so fucking disgustingly ugly" conversation, but this talk about his weight and calling it girtherism has a lot of fat shaming components to it.  

Would it be more acceptable if it was fathead shaming?

17 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I have no idea what that is.  But certainly fat shaming is wrong, wouldn't you agree?

Yeah, fat shaming is wrong.  I thought the word was grifter misspelled.

10 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Yeah, fat shaming is wrong.  I thought the word was grifter misspelled.

There's such a thin line there.  Trump's narcissism and how it affects his ability to do his job is relevant.  Part of that is in how he lies about his attributes and abilities.  He's clearly not that height or that weight and pointing it out isn't inherently problematic.  Focusing almost entirely on the weight and mocking it, that's where it gets into sketchy shaming territory.  The 'Girtherism" memes have put a bad taste in my mouth.

The Navy Dr reported that Trump doesnt exercise and side by side photos make it quite obvious his listed height of 6'-3" is a blatant lie, so calling in question whether the sloth weighs 239 isnt so much fat shaming as questioning whether its an example of him being at the center of another big fat lie. 

I see where Trump is being challenged to a $100,000 dollar offer to step on a non tampered with scale and prove that he weighs the 239 pounds that he is publicly claiming. Girtherism is merely calling him out on his latest blatant bullshit lie. https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/guardians-galaxy-director-james-gunn-092758048.html

Honestly I just enjoyed the side by side comparisons of Trump with athletes.

Also, the Doctor I am sure is qualified but his "200 years" was a statement of a quack. The "good genes" goes without notice so, I guess that is the trick.

In the end I think the exams and points to the length that White House physicians will go to protect the President health.

5 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I know I participated in the "Trump is so fucking disgustingly ugly" conversation, but this talk about his weight and calling it girtherism has a lot of fat shaming components to it.  

Yeah, I was a bit bothered by that conversation. There's more than enough (like, way, way more than enough!) to criticise Trump for without getting in to his appearance. The girther thing is tricky, though; it's very well deserved pun, and the issue isn't about what he actually weighs, it's about whether his medical report as a whole can be trusted or not (the claims about his mental health being of the most serious public interest), via an extremely easy-to-test indicator. But the legitimate concerns here clearly do overlap closely with unreasonable fat-shaming.

So I see everybody here lampoon the Media for not 'staying focused on the real issue' regarding Donald all the time.

And yet I come back to the thread after a busy day and it's full of inane babble about how fat Donald is when we all know he's lying, the particulars of Cuba, and not a damn word I've seen (and hopefully I just missed it) about Bannon acting like a beaten dog before congress and showing his belly to Mueller to avoid a grand jury.

I've only seen sporadic mention of Flake's speech, and too much of it being in the negative. I can't believe that the people who are just asking that we have just a glimmer of optimism about the fact that the gov is still salvageable and that Repubs can still decide to take a stand are getting shouted down.

It's very unfortunate. That's all I will say. It's very unfortunate.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

The Navy Dr reported that Trump doesnt exercise and side by side photos make it quite obvious his listed height of 6'-3" is a blatant lie, so calling in question whether the sloth weighs 239 isnt so much fat shaming as questioning whether its an example of him being at the center of another big fat lie. 

I see where Trump is being challenged to a $100,000 dollar offer to step on a non tampered with scale and prove that he weighs the 239 pounds that he is publicly claiming. Girtherism is merely calling him out on his latest blatant bullshit lie. https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/guardians-galaxy-director-james-gunn-092758048.html

I wouldn't mind betting that this persons would lose and have to pay Trump $100K. I'm sure his weight is 239lbs. What was adjusted was his height. According to IMDB (which I think is as reliable a source as anything on people's height, Trump is 6'2".

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0874339/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm I think Trump figured out well in advance what the height requirement is for BMI to be under 30 at 239lbs. And fortunately it was just 1" taller than his actual height. It's not hard to fudge your height when you're the president, even if the doctor is measuring it.

Didn't Trump start using the 6ft3 claim during the campaign last year? 

Anyway, the whole thing about this is not whether he's technically overweight or obese. Either way, that's his business, and none of ours. The issue is that you have a guy who'll not only lie about something like this, but have people lie for him. That's worrying. It creates a culture where lying to massage the President's ego is normal. The issues with that are surely obvious. On the other hand, it isn't news: just a further example of how that culture is established. 

Yeah, it isn't news it's just a further example of...

SO WHY DO YOU GUYS KEEP BRINGING IT UP!?!

The government is on the verge of a shutdown that could have apocalyptic results for either party. If Dems roll over then it's possible all of the anti-trump resistance melt away and we lose this opportunity. Or 'moderates' could buy the Repub line and abandon the country in its hour of need.

Or, god willing, maybe Trump's 'invincible' base finally cracks when they see that he can't even keep the Government open.

Do not dismiss any possibilities, but I emphasize the last because it's more likely than you think. Someone mentioned Bannon earlier turning on Trump because he's that kind of crazy I think. And I completely agree. Trump's base loves his strongman tactics and tough guy persona that a lot of them actually think is something America is missing.

Do NOT discount the possibility that something between 1-5 percent could become disillusioned when the failure of their Demagogue becomes impossible to ignore when the Government is shut down, and god willing if the Dems actually stay strong here and get what they want then that would just reinforce the fact that their hero of the White Minority is really just another cuck who couldn't get it done.

21 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Yeah, it isn't news it's just a further example of...

SO WHY DO YOU GUYS KEEP BRINGING IT UP!?!

The government is on the verge of a shutdown that could have apocalyptic results for either party. If Dems roll over then it's possible all of the anti-trump resistance melt away and we lose this opportunity. Or 'moderates' could buy the Repub line and abandon the country in its hour of need.

Or, god willing, maybe Trump's 'invincible' base finally cracks when they see that he can't even keep the Government open.

Do not dismiss any possibilities, but I emphasize the last because it's more likely than you think. Someone mentioned Bannon earlier turning on Trump because he's that kind of crazy I think. And I completely agree. Trump's base loves his strongman tactics and tough guy persona that a lot of them actually think is something America is missing.

Do NOT discount the possibility that something between 1-5 percent could become disillusioned when the failure of their Demagogue becomes impossible to ignore when the Government is shut down, and god willing if the Dems actually stay strong here and get what they want then that would just reinforce the fact that their hero of the White Minority is really just another cuck who couldn't get it done.

The shutdown isn't the sky-is-falling scenario you make it out to be for either party.  It's a pretty boring topic for your average voter and it's not going to cause the resistance to Trunp to disintegrate, or push so called moderates to Trump.  

I agree though that the whole girther thing isnt much relevant other than another example of the culture of lies this administration lives and breathes.  

What's going to matter for the elections this fall is if the Dems can rally a big turnout and control the conversation on September and October. If Mueller comes up with something big I hope it's late summer or early fall.  Voters have a short memory and minds are pretty much made up.  There aren't a lot of fence sitters.  It's all about turnout.

52 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

The reason this isn't talked about too much is this is literally the fourth time in the last two months they've been on the verge of a shutdown (I think, it's honestly hard to keep track).  It's  tiring to get too worried about this every few weeks, and I think there's an assumption that another CR will be passed for another month (I believe Feb 16).  Last I checked the GOP might add funding CHIP to get the Senate Dem votes they need.  That'd be nice I guess.

If the Dems do plan on drawing a line in the sand this time and deny the votes in th Senate, they need to get on this now in terms of going public, making their position clear, and making sure they win the blame game.

As for Bannon, all I read is he pissed off both parties yesterday by continuing to stonewall and a contempt citation is being considered - and that he had one "slip up" that...doesn't seem like much.  Did I miss something?

3 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

So I see everybody here lampoon the Media for not 'staying focused on the real issue' regarding Donald all the time.

And yet I come back to the thread after a busy day and it's full of inane babble about how fat Donald is when we all know he's lying, the particulars of Cuba, and not a damn word I've seen (and hopefully I just missed it) about Bannon acting like a beaten dog before congress and showing his belly to Mueller to avoid a grand jury.

I've only seen sporadic mention of Flake's speech, and too much of it being in the negative. I can't believe that the people who are just asking that we have just a glimmer of optimism about the fact that the gov is still salvageable and that Repubs can still decide to take a stand are getting shouted down.

It's very unfortunate. That's all I will say. It's very unfortunate.

I wouldn't say people are being shouted down, so much as many here are pessimistic about Republicans doing the right thing and truly they have reason to be. Look at the spineless Paul Ryan and tell me that this jellyfish creature will ever do anything...and that's the bulk of the current Republican party distilled down to its essence. 

As for Flake and the like, I know words are important in politics. Still though I'd like to see more than words and see some action. Senator McCain has said his goal is to get a Select Committee on Russian hacking. That's great if he succeeds at this. Just haven't seen it yet. And in general watching Republicans from say 2009-2018 makes you pretty pessimistic about them in general.

That legislation to protect Mueller never materialized.

My guess is that Trump never gets removed by impeachment or the like. Most likely scenario is electoral politics will undo him. The scandal may play a part in this due to the drip, drip, drip of news, much like the email scandal did to HRC. Now while I'm a pessimist on Republicans, that makes me a somewhat of an optimist in that I think we'll still have semi free elections for a while.

Archived