U.S. Politics: Girthers Vs. Anti-Girthers

Martell Spy

10 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Doesn't Batman do that in modern continuity? Tons of charities and political influence but it can only go so far because for every Batman there's a Lex Luthor doing the same thing in the other direction.

I don't honestly know, though I know that Wayne has never been particularly useful in using his science to help the community in any way, shape or form. Unlike, say, Iron Man. 

Anyway, back to the narcissistic assholes of the actual world. 

I never knew that the phrase "America First" actually has quite a dark and sinister back story. Surely that phrase didn't find its way into Trump rhetoric without any knowledge of its history.

It would not surprise me in the least if many or even most Trump supporters are unaware of the history of the use of "America First" as racists / anti-semetic code. And maybe Trump himself is (or was) unaware. But whoever fed that phrase into Trump's mind and into his rhetoric must have known, and must have deliberately used it with that connection in mind.

23 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I never knew that the phrase "America First" actually has quite a dark and sinister back story. Surely that phrase didn't find its way into Trump rhetoric without any knowledge of its history.

Trump might have attempted to do "America First".

But, it looks, like what he's actually achieved is:

"Man, America is the worst!"

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2018/01/in-the-era-of-trump-everybody-hates-us/

Our official foreign policy these days is not just “America First,” but “Who Cares What All Those Other Weenie Countries Think?” Given that, I suppose there’s no reason to care about the views of the rest of the planet. But just in case you do care, here is Gallup’s latest.

Oh now, remember way back when when conservatives and Republicans were saying something, "Obummer is hurting American prestige around the world!"(after of course they put Dubya in the WH, guess they forgot that little detail). Republicans: what a bunch of trash talkin' buffoons.

46 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2018/01/in-the-era-of-trump-everybody-hates-us/

Oh now, remember way back when when conservatives and Republicans were saying something, "Obummer is hurting American prestige around the world!"(after of course they put Dubya in the WH, guess they forgot that little detail). Republicans: what a bunch of trash talkin' buffoons.

Republicans: Working with our allies to achieve a stronger coalition and attempting to right some of America's wrongs are what wimpy liberals do. Real leaders threaten and attack other nations to show the world how big our junk is!

5 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

As of 5:30 Eastern, House GOP whip count doesn't have the votes to pass the CR due to intransigence from the Freedumb Caucus.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/369629-live-coverage-house-senate-in-scramble-as-shutdown-looms

Good. Force them to put the CHIP language back in to get Dem support and send it over to the senate. It will get 60 votes. Then force the clown to sign it or risk vetoing and taking all the blame.

Wow, time to get this "Bad Hombre" immigrant out of this country.

Sebastian Gorka, Immigrant Crime Obsessive, Is Wanted for Committing a Crime in Another Country

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/01/sebastian-gorka-allegedly-wanted-for-gun-crime-in-hungary.html?via=recirc_recent

It turns out that Fox News talking head and ex–White House adviser Sebastian Gorka, a far-right nationalist who believes in “extreme vetting” of immigrants and who strongly supported the administration’s ban on ostensibly threatening travelers from several majority-Muslim countries, is himself wanted for allegedly committing a gun-related crime in Hungary

2 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

The interesting thing about that poll is it suggest the US population is not all that much more fooled by Trump than the rest of the world. Trump's approval in the USA is mid 30s. The world's approval of Trump's America is pretty much dead on 30%. I constantly scratched my head about how trump could have such a high approval rating in the USA (yes, even with him having a very low approval rating compared to past presidents, I still think 35% is a lot of people who approve of Trump and who's opinion I cannot fathom). But it's less mindboggling that 35% (or thereabout) of US voters approve of Trump if 30% of the whole world approve. I guess it means about 30% of the world like how the US is operating. Which is a different boggle for the mind.

I guess for US folks who don't like what's going on at all, they can be comforted, if that's the right word to use, in knowing that the whole world is just as proportionately crazy as the USA.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Republicans: Working with our allies to achieve a stronger coalition and attempting to right some of America's wrongs are what wimpy liberals do. Real leaders threaten and attack other nations to show the world how big our junk is!

But has it sort of worked, even if in an unintended way? If it wasn't for the rhetoric coming from the USA, would North and South Korea be marching under a unified flag at the winter Olympics this year? I don't think it's an accident that RoK and DPRK made this arrangement at this time. Though I do think it's an accident  that US behavior has facilitated this particular move. It's an improvement in Korean Peninsula relations, but possibly not of a kind that the Trump Admin would necessarily have wanted to see.

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Honest to goodness, it's really, really easy to quote from an article instead of just posting a link. At least give people a taste of what you are linking. You always just post links!

PREACH!  Cutting and pasting a few lines is really easy, and helpful too.

aaaahhahahahahaha

sorry, no one outside of me probably appreciates this but 
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/18/politics/kfile-carl-higbie-on-the-radio/index.html

the far right racist, sexist, all around shitbag appointed to overseeing the agency in charge of shit like americorps just "resigned" for, you guessed it, being a racist, sexist, all around shitbag. 

13 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The interesting thing about that poll is it suggest the US population is not all that much more fooled by Trump than the rest of the world. Trump's approval in the USA is mid 30s. The world's approval of Trump's America is pretty much dead on 30%. I constantly scratched my head about how trump could have such a high approval rating in the USA (yes, even with him having a very low approval rating compared to past presidents, I still think 35% is a lot of people who approve of Trump and who's opinion I cannot fathom). But it's less mindboggling that 35% (or thereabout) of US voters approve of Trump if 30% of the whole world approve. I guess it means about 30% of the world like how the US is operating. Which is a different boggle for the mind.

I guess for US folks who don't like what's going on at all, they can be comforted, if that's the right word to use, in knowing that the whole world is just as proportionately crazy as the USA.

But has it sort of worked, even if in an unintended way? If it wasn't for the rhetoric coming from the USA, would North and South Korea be marching under a unified flag at the winter Olympics this year? I don't think it's an accident that RoK and DPRK made this arrangement at this time. Though I do think it's an accident  that US behavior has facilitated this particular move. It's an improvement in Korean Peninsula relations, but possibly not of a kind that the Trump Admin would necessarily have wanted to see.

I am not at all concerned about Too Tang's approval rating until it cracks 43%. People aren't ashamed to admit they like him at this point, and quite frankly it has been a credible theory that 1/4 of any society responds positively to demagogues and strongmen. 

So I find it not at all difficult to chalk Trump's 35 to 45 percent approval up to simpletons that like strongmen combined with a nice 10 to 20 percent of racists, moral cravens, opportunists, and the blind. 

That's not tongue in cheek. Donald is not going to win the presidency with 40 percent of the vote, not 43 percent, and I strongly doubt he skates away with the gold with 46% this time. 

Ms. Stein might not want to throw her hat into the 2020 ring, because something tells me that a couple of those 'protests votes' are coming back into the fold. 

I'm very optimistic. We weathered the hardest part guys. They got the tax scam through, but the institutions have held (if barely) and now we get to go on the offensive. 

As for the current crises, unless there's a really poison pill in this CBR I think Democrats should take CHIP for 6 years and call this one a win. That being said, I won't blame them in the slightest if they hold firm on DACA. And maybe Chuck should call up the Great Debater himself and make a 'deal' that outlines sitting down with him, Graham, Durbin, Pelosi, Ryan, McConnell and whoever else might be ABSOLUTELY necessary. No Stephen Miller, no Flynn. 

And then we could see the fastest bipartisan passage of a series of funding bills and reasonable immigration measures (Like expanding DACA) in human history as the cellphones of Trump's psychotic enablers mysteriously have the batteries removed. 

Or something unforeseeable and horrific will rise like a Russian submarine into a confused Turk's backyard pond to throw everything into chaos again.

1 hour ago, dr. thicc president said:

Boo!!!  I guess the one good thing is the 7-2 vote (Ginsburg and Sotomayor) hopefully and presumably does not reflect how justices will make their final decisions on the gerrymandering cases.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Freedom Caucus supporting the stopgap. Looks like it will pass the house. Still it has to go to the Senate, where a shutdown may happen.

Yeah the HFC was never going to be the one's to hold up funding - nor will Trump veto the bill due to CHIP funding just because he decided to tweet-vomit this morning.  I think it's also notable that 6 Dems voted for the House measure.  However, the Dems are sounding more and more resolute that they have the votes to block the bill in the Senate.  Will that resolve sustain for the next 28 hours?  While it's never good to bet on the resolve of Democratic Senators, it's looking more likely.  There's also now a super-short CR being floated around:

There is still an extremely long-shot idea: a short-short-term CR, or a bill that would keep the government funded for a few more days while, as Sen. Jerry Moran (R-KS) said, they “finish up” negotiations on DACA.

2 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Boo!!!  I guess the one good thing is the 7-2 vote (Ginsburg and Sotomayor) hopefully and presumably does not reflect how justices will make their final decisions on the gerrymandering cases.

Yeah the HFC was never going to be the one's to hold up funding - nor will Trump veto the bill due to CHIP funding just because he decided to tweet-vomit this morning.  I think it's also notable that 6 Dems voted for the House measure.  However, the Dems are sounding more and more resolute that they have the votes to block the bill in the Senate.  Will that resolve sustain for the next 28 hours?  While it's never good to bet on the resolve of Democratic Senators, it's looking more likely.  There's also now a super-short CR being floated around:

Dems in the Senate might buy a few day CR, but it would drive the Defense hawks crazy, so not sure that's going to fly...

Archived