Authority of a nobleman?

Ninclow

Hello, people! I'm new here, so greeting to one and all. :D

I have a question - and I'd like to use the Lannisters as an example.

is Tywin, as Lord of Casterly Rock, the only one who can command the Lannister household knights? Not counting Cersei, being a queen and Kevan who is known as a commander in the Lannister army. Is belonging to House Lannister enough to wield authority over sworn swords of their noble house? If Tyrion strolled through King's Landing or Lannisport, and someone picked his pocket and ran, and he realized what had happened, if there were no gold cloaks within sight, and this is prior to him becoming a member of the Small Council, if he spotted a Lannister soldier, could Tyrion theoretically command him to pursue the thief by virtue of his status as being a member of House Lannister? Or if Tyrion witnessed one or more Lannister knight brutalizing a lowborn, and told them to stop, would the knight have to do as he was bid or could he simply ignore Tyrion on the basis of not being his lord father/in a position of political influence and authority?

There is a chain of command of sort, with the lord's (king's) close family occupying the top places. When Ned was imprisoned, Robb, not even of age, presumed all the authority of House Stark over their bannermen, and woe to those who defied him (Lord Umber lost a couple fingers over this exact issue). 

The same would go for Tyrion (unless his hypothetical orders happened to go directly against Lord Tywin's will). Publicly disrespecting him means to publicly disrespect House Lannister, which means to publicly disrespect Tywin Lannister, which means A Bad Idea.

Thanks! :-D

But.. Still, this rises another question: Does biological seniority come into play? With that I mean, if Jaime ordered a Lannister guard or guards to do something, let us say something akin to the attack on Ned Stark, which we know Tywin didn't order him to do, and let us say Kevan or one of his other uncles, if they were alive, showed up and sought to stop him, could they, theoretically, order the guards to leave? Does the fact that member A of a noble house were the elder of member B influence anything?

25 minutes ago, Ninclow said:

Thanks! :-D

But.. Still, this rises another question: Does biological seniority come into play? With that I mean, if Jaime ordered a Lannister guard or guards to do something, let us say something akin to the attack on Ned Stark, which we know Tywin didn't order him to do, and let us say Kevan or one of his other uncles, if they were alive, showed up and sought to stop him, could they, theoretically, order the guards to leave? Does the fact that member A of a noble house were the elder of member B influence anything?

Too many variables. Depends on the noble, depends on the guard and depends on any relationship that they had before. Some guards may show more respect to Kevan others to Jaime, there is no right answer. If they have been sent to the capital to serve Jaime/Cersei they are more likely to obey Jaime given that he has been the one they have been obeying for some time just like any men Kevan brings with him would be more likely to obey him over Jaime/Cersei. 

Archived