Cricket: ODIs Aren’t Proper Cricket Edition

Hereward

Ok that’s weird. Happy for the series’ sake, but if I was a player, I’d be pretty confused about where the line is between a suspension and a fine. I think it will encourage players to push the limits even more.

4 hours ago, brAnthelAstgreenseer said:

WI qualify ,win by D/L method ,just by 5 runs . One of the lbw decisions was fuckall to say the least , Scotland are very unlucky to miss out here .

:(

There's something typically Scottish about going all the way to Zimbabwe then having their chances of qualifying ended by a poorly-timed rain shower. It was a surprisingly good performance by the Scots, beating Afghanistan, tying with Zimbabwe (it would probably have felt even worse if failing to win that had been decisive in not qualifying) and coming close to beating the Windies, but sadly they just miss out.

18 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

It's a real shame for Scotland. Having said that I wouldn't have wanted to see a World Cup without the Windies. This is the issue with cutting the number of teams in the tournament I suppose.

Every other sports body seems to be expanding their World Cups, but the ICC seem determined to do the opposite. If the Windies hadn't qualified then that might have exposed how bad an idea it was. It looks like Zimbabwe are the favourites to take the other qualifying spot, which also means Ireland will miss out as well despite their heroics in recent tournaments.

Yeah I agree TWS - it’s not the right batting order for these conditions. You can’t have your first allrounder coming in at number 5 with Boult and Southee swinging the pink cherry. I do like Root better at first drop but a duck was an inauspicious start!

Having said all that, maybe we just have to hand it NZ. It was quality stuff and would have steamrolled most current test lineups.

@Hereward: Aw I kinda like Stoneman. Agree on Ali.

This is the team I would like to see.

Cook*

Hameed**

Root

Livingstone/Lawrence/Northeast

Malan (c)***

Stokes

Bairstow

Crane

Garton

Stone

Anderson

* Cook is probably not worth his place on form, but who else is there, and he's earned the right to retire rather than be dropped.

** I know he hasn't scored a run for a year, but he has the talent and will probably learn quicker playing Tests than on greentops in April and September when County cricket is played.

*** Lack of alternatives. 

22 hours ago, williamjm said:

It looks like Zimbabwe are the favourites to take the other qualifying spot, which also means Ireland will miss out as well despite their heroics in recent tournaments.

They were definitely the favourites but they carelessly lost to the United Arab Emirates today, so it looks like the winner of the Ireland/Afghanistan match will qualify instead (unless there's a tie). It's a pity for Zimbabwe but I think it's good that at least one of the nations outside the traditional top 10 will be at the World Cup despite the ICC's best efforts to exclude them.

8 hours ago, Paxter said:

Having said all that, maybe we just have to hand it NZ. It was quality stuff and would have steamrolled most current test lineups.

I feel that England have less excuse for playing the swinging ball badly than some of the other teams from countries where that rarely happens.

You’d think so, but as they spend spring and autumn playing white ball cricket, summer playing against countries that don’t swing the ball much and winters away, where, mostly, the same is true, perhaps not.

6 minutes ago, Hereward said:

You’d think so, but as they spend spring and autumn playing white ball cricket, summer playing against countries that don’t swing the ball much and winters away, where, mostly, the same is true, perhaps not.

I suppose that's true - once upon a time they might have got more opportunities in country cricket but I'd imagine most of the team can probably count the number of county championship matches they've played in recent years on the fingers of one hand.

Of course it was the third bowler that did for England's batting - the guy who scored 57% of England's runs and now has a higher average than the batsman who he replaced (obviously too early to be that meaningful for Overton, but damning for Vince).

Sadly I agree that Ali should not have been in the team for this series and maybe for good outside of England - though I would still have him back in the summer when he is back in his comfort zone.

Archived