Video Games: It's On Like Donkey Kong

Inigima

1 hour ago, Leo of House Cartel said:

Anyone recommend the new Assassin's Creed game? Played the series up 'till Rogue then drifted away. Origins looks great but I've heard mixed reviews.

Not yet, but I'm planning to soon! I'm not a huge Assassin's Creed fan (minus the pirate ones, which I love) but this one looks very cool and I'm completely sold on the idea of exploring Hellenistic Egypt.

1 hour ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Not yet, but I'm planning to soon! I'm not a huge Assassin's Creed fan (minus the pirate ones, which I love) but this one looks very cool and I'm completely sold on the idea of exploring Hellenistic Egypt.

Yeah, the interpretation of Egypt looks spectacular from what I've seen. 

Would love to see a game set in the Old Kingdom too, just to see how the developers would portray it.

Hopefully we get Greece or ancient Sub-Saharan Africa in future titles!

Recently finished Assassins Creed Unity and started Syndicate. Good game.  My favourites are probably Brotherhood, Black Flag and Syndicate so far.

Elite Dangerous: Launched my Asp Explorer from Sol and set off on my big exploration mission.  It's got no weappns and very little shields (only have any for planet landings).      

I've found a number of planets including an Earth-like one that should be worth a good bit.  Currently en route to Colonia where I'll fully repair, unequip my buggy and shields, and set off for the galactic centre, Sag A. From there, maybe Beagle's Point on the edge of the rim on the far side of the galaxy.

34 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Recently finished Assassins Creed Unity and started Syndicate. Good game.  My favourites are probably Brotherhood, Black Flag and Syndicate so far.

Launched my Asp Explorer from Sol and set off on my big exploration mission.  It's got no weappns and very little shields (only have any for planet landings).      

I've found a number of planets including an Earth-like one that should be worth a good bit.  Currently en route to Colonia where I'll fully repair, unequip my buggy and shields, and set off for the galactic centre, Sag A. From there, maybe Beagle's Point on the edge of the rim on the far side of the galaxy.

I'll need to get round to playing Unity and Syndicate mate, London and Paris look pretty mental.

Loved the Ezio trilogy (one of the best games characters in years) and was amazed by III, IV and Rogue too.

11 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Less than a week until Stellaris 2.0. I always say I'm going to wait a few days before playing so the bugs can be worked out, but it never happens. Bugs be damned! I'm playing that shit opening day. The Union of Democratic Systems shall triumph!

I enjoy naming my faction something fucking insane like

The Interstellar Coalition of Democratically Elected Representatives of the Akronian Citizens' Republic

It's awesome. You can't read the name most of the time.

26 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I enjoy naming my faction something fucking insane like

The Interstellar Coalition of Democratically Elected Representatives of the Akronian Citizens' Republic

It's awesome. You can't read the name most of the time.

Wait. So only Akronians are welcome within your borders?

What do you do with the other races?

1 minute ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Wait. So only Akronians are welcome within your borders?

What do you do with the other races?

Slaves.

What else would I do with them? Akronians value freedom FAR too much to allow others to have any.

While waiting for Stellaris 2.0, I decided to start a new Civ 6 to pass the time. (I ended up not buying that DLC. $30? They're fckn nuts) Playing as England and have a really good start going. Ended up on a peninsula separated from the rest of the landmass by mountains. Was able to fit 3 cities onto the peninsula and am about to put 2 more cities in the passes that separate me from the world(have to destroy Amsterdam first).

And on the name thing. What the hell Mass Effect? The Asari Republics. The Batarian Hegemony. The Human Systems Alliance. The Turian Hierarchy. After centuries of immigration you're claiming there are no other species withing you're empires? Way to be inclusive galaxy.

2 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

While waiting for Stellaris 2.0, I decided to start a new Civ 6 to pass the time. (I ended up not buying that DLC. $30? They're fckn nuts) Playing as England and have a really good start going. Ended up on a peninsula separated from the rest of the landmass by mountains. Was able to fit 3 cities onto the peninsula and am about to put 2 more cities in the passes that separate me from the world(have to destroy Amsterdam first).

And on the name thing. What the hell Mass Effect? The Asari Republics. The Batarian Hegemony. The Human Systems Alliance. The Turian Hierarchy. After centuries of immigration you're claiming there are no other species withing you're empires? Way to be inclusive galaxy.

Shouldn't the Turians have a Meritocracy?

Enjoying Hard West. It's XCOM but in the Weird West and with a bit less depth to the strategy metagame (well, there isn't one, more of an Oregon Trail thing where you have to decide what to do on your journey between missions that can result in bonuses or hindrances). It's all tremendous fun.

Mafia III finally dropped to a price level I feel appropriate for it (on the same day the developers announced massive layoffs, which is weird because, despite a mixed reception, Mafia III apparently sold quite well). Will get to that at some point.

Just now, A True Kaniggit said:

I thought so at first too. But to be safe I googled all the names before posting. The Mass Effect Wikia said it was the Turian Hierarchy. 

Yeah, I recall GarrBear calling it the Hierarchy. But he also mentions merit constantly if I recall correctly.

I was gonna do a ME replay, but I just hate playing with Mouse and Keyboard.

10 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Really Civ 6? How is it, more than a year since release, there is still that same old bug that I ran into on my first playthrough, that allows the game to get stuck with only 6 religions. 

It's a real shame. There's MASSIVE leaps in the game's quality. But still the same old disappointments.

Anyone played Nier: Automata?

I just finished all the main endings, and I have to say ending E is one of the coolest and most powerful things I've ever experienced in a video game. 

The music picking up when you accept help and the data of those other players joins you to help you push through to the end of that credit shooting sequence, the choice at the end to sacrifice your save data to help another player through the same spot...just amazing.

This entire game has left me in awe. A shining example of the unique things this art form can do and be. Retroactive best game of 2017, easily one of my favorites of all time. 

14 hours ago, Leo of House Cartel said:

I'll need to get round to playing Unity and Syndicate mate, London and Paris look pretty mental.

Loved the Ezio trilogy (one of the best games characters in years) and was amazed by III, IV and Rogue too.

I've been playing them in chronological order, ie 4, 3's Haytham stuff, Rogue, then rest of 3 so a lot of 3 felt a bit dated.  

3 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I've been playing them in chronological order, ie 4, 3's Haytham stuff, Rogue, then rest of 3 so a lot of 3 felt a bit dated.  

Would have really liked to see sequels to 3 and 4, the Native American/Pirate stuff would be very impressive on the new consoles.

Always dug the way Haytham spun his knife too!

13 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Slaves.

What else would I do with them? Akronians value freedom FAR too much to allow others to have any.

Livestock. Filthy xenos can provide valuable protein.

10 hours ago, Fez said:

Livestock. Filthy xenos can provide valuable protein.

That's DISGUSTING!

Akronians have subsisted on entirely non-sentient diets for a thousand years! To murder a living being for food? Barbarism!

Now get back into the mines you fucking slave!

Archived