Video Games: It's On Like Donkey Kong

Inigima

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

That's DISGUSTING!

Akronians have subsisted on entirely non-sentient diets for a thousand years! To murder a living being for food? Barbarism!

Now get back into the mines you fucking slave!

No one said anything about murdering sentients for food. Just chop off an arm and let them live out the rest of their days free range. 

Edit: Shouldn't you be devoting all of your critical thinking powers into driving back the  entente anyways?

So, I have a question. I've got an old wii that the kids are finally putting to use, but the slight delay in the controllers is fucking annoying. So my question is, does it get any better? Are newer consoles delay-free even though they use chord less controllers or are they all the same?

8 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

No one said anything about murdering sentients for food. Just chop off an arm and let them live out the rest of their days free range. 

Edit: Shouldn't you be devoting all of your critical thinking powers into driving back the  entente anyways?

As a matter of fact. I've taken a lowly Bohemian tribe to new heights in the 8th century

5 hours ago, Mikael said:

So, I have a question. I've got an old wii that the kids are finally putting to use, but the slight delay in the controllers is fucking annoying. So my question is, does it get any better? Are newer consoles delay-free even though they use chord less controllers or are they all the same?

I have a PS3, PS4, and a Switch and never notice a delay. :dunno: 

15 hours ago, Mikael said:

Are you talking about button inputs or waggle inputs? Pretty sure wireless button inputs have the same latency as wired controllers, or at least as close as makes no perceivable difference. But the motion control latency and accuracy might be different. The original Wii mote is not very good as a motion control device, but when Nintendo introduced the Wii motion plus clip on thingy it improved the motion control performance a lot. But many games did not make use of the Wii motion Plus IIRC.

20 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Are you talking about button inputs or waggle inputs? Pretty sure wireless button inputs have the same latency as wired controllers, or at least as close as makes no perceivable difference. But the motion control latency and accuracy might be different. The original Wii mote is not very good as a motion control device, but when Nintendo introduced the Wii motion plus clip on thingy it improved the motion control performance a lot. But many games did not make use of the Wii motion Plus IIRC.

Theres a very distinct delay on my Wii buttons, but maybe controllers have evolved enough that it isnt a problem with newer consoles?

I really tried getting into Divinity Original Sin 2. But I just can't do it. It's clearly a very well made, and I'm sure deserving of all the praise it gets... But combat takes so long and feels so tedious, even on easy mode, and the game's characters/plot/world haven't drawn me in enough to make it worth muddling through.  Oh well.

I'm very excited for the new Stellaris expansion in a couple of days though! And I've gotten sucked back into my second playthrough of Breath of the Wild on master mode. I love this game so much, and am proud of myself for becoming an expert Lynel hunter.

I played through What Remains Of Edith Finch yesterday. Much shorter than I expected, finished it in around two hours. Really great stuff though. The vignettes of the different family members are weird and bleak and wonderful all at once. The Cannery in particular is just really spectacular design. It's a crushingly sad game, but with a bit of a hopeful point to make when all is said and done. 

It's actually kinda amazing what a good year 2017 was for video games. 

On to AC: Origins. 

I finished South Park The Fractured But Whole last night and laughed out loud doing it.  Honestly, SoT and FBW are the two best uses of pop culture licenses I've ever seen in gaming.  And both honestly hold their own from a video game standpoint as well with some good RPG action.

2 hours ago, Mikael said:

Theres a very distinct delay on my Wii buttons, but maybe controllers have evolved enough that it isnt a problem with newer consoles?

Interesting. I've never really played on the Wii so I can't comment. But I've played using wireless controllers on PS3 and PS4 and I can't say I ever perceived any button input latency, and so if there has been any improvement in latency between 7th and 8th generation consoles / controllers my speed of perception is too slow to have been able to notice it.

I can't say I've played (m)any games that demand very low input latency, such as 2-D fighters like Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and maybe if I was into those games at a high level I might notice something. Do the serious competitors in these sorts of games still used wired controllers? I'm pretty sure the serious keyboard warriors still use wired keyboard and mouse. So maybe there does continue to be perceptible higher latency in wireless devices vs wired devices. 

1 hour ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I really tried getting into Divinity Original Sin 2. But I just can't do it. It's clearly a very well made, and I'm sure deserving of all the praise it gets... But combat takes so long and feels so tedious, even on easy mode, and the game's characters/plot/world haven't drawn me in enough to make it worth muddling through.  Oh well.

I'm very excited for the new Stellaris expansion in a couple of days though! And I've gotten sucked back into my second playthrough of Breath of the Wild on master mode. I love this game so much, and am proud of myself for becoming an expert Lynel hunter.

I've been playing the first game couch co-op with my son (yay for having a game that does real couch co-op story mode!!) and we are enjoying it. I think playing couch co-op adds a degree of enjoyment that might be missing from playing through this style of game solo.

I strongly recommend Jason Schreirer's Blood, Sweat and Pixels. It's a great look at video game development and opens the lid on a very bizarre, crazy industry. In particular, the making of Destiny will make your eyeballs pop out of your head. It's an unbelievable shitstorm which is still going on through the development of Destiny 3 as well, which is just bananas.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

I finished South Park The Fractured But Whole last night and laughed out loud doing it.  Honestly, SoT and FBW are the two best uses of pop culture licenses I've ever seen in gaming.  And both honestly hold their own from a video game standpoint as well with some good RPG action.

I thought the second game was a lot weaker than the first game.  Still some great moments, but it felt a lot less ambitious than Stick of Truth.  It was also less funny on the whole, and the ending was way too sudden.

Been playing Dark Souls 3 more, still trying to get the hang of what's changed from previous games (e.g. near as I can tell heavy armor is completely worthless this time). I seem to making pretty good progress. I've just opened the giant door in the swamp that's called Farron's Keep for some reason and found the bonfire beyond it, but I still have to beat the Crystal Sage boss back in the Road of Sacrifice and a giant tree boss back in Undead Settlement. So I've got options open.

Game seems about what I expected, maybe slightly easier than previous games? My only real complaint is that it's like DS2 in that there are some shortcuts but the game areas so far all seem pretty separate from each other. It's not like the first game where everything was so cleverly connected together and it really felt like you were exploring a single, massive area.

ETA: Also, the High Wall and Undead Settlement were really interesting visually, but everything since then has been the kind of dull, drab wilderness that shows up way too much in the series.

I got gifted Civilisation V from a friend, who bought it as part of a larger Steam Sale and they already owned it. Firstly, thanks for the sloppy seconds. :P

Secondly: is it worth learning to play the game? Apparently there are ninety-six billion different game mechanics to learn. Assuming I have infrequent (if any) time, ought I even bother?

29 minutes ago, Yukle said:

I got gifted Civilisation V from a friend, who bought it as part of a larger Steam Sale and they already owned it. Firstly, thanks for the sloppy seconds. :P

Secondly: is it worth learning to play the game? Apparently there are ninety-six billion different game mechanics to learn. Assuming I have infrequent (if any) time, ought I even bother?

Civ is one of those franchises you want to pour hundreds of hours into. I learn a new strategy or mechanical trick every time I play. And I've been rocking this series since Civilization III

7 hours ago, Fez said:

Been playing Dark Souls 3 more, still trying to get the hang of what's changed from previous games (e.g. near as I can tell heavy armor is completely worthless this time). I seem to making pretty good progress. I've just opened the giant door in the swamp that's called Farron's Keep for some reason and found the bonfire beyond it, but I still have to beat the Crystal Sage boss back in the Road of Sacrifice and a giant tree boss back in Undead Settlement. So I've got options open.

Game seems about what I expected, maybe slightly easier than previous games? My only real complaint is that it's like DS2 in that there are some shortcuts but the game areas so far all seem pretty separate from each other. It's not like the first game where everything was so cleverly connected together and it really felt like you were exploring a single, massive area.

ETA: Also, the High Wall and Undead Settlement were really interesting visually, but everything since then has been the kind of dull, drab wilderness that shows up way too much in the series.

DS3 to me is sadly meh.  Yeah the first two areas are good but then it gets super duper linear and frankly pretty boring.  I think it was trying to ape some DS1 with some shortcuts here and there but they are contained shortcuts and basically are worthless for the most part.  To be fair that also could be that it had no chance, at least for me, as it immediately followed Bloodborne which is a far superior game in pretty much every single way.

Also heavy armor means nothing.  Loincloth is as good as armored greaves, the only thing that matters is that you have a piece on in all slots.  They basically got rid of poise in DS3.

11 hours ago, Yukle said:

Civ 5 is the only one I’ve played and I found it pretty accessible and fun. It’ll suck up your time in big chunks but that’s just because it’s addictive; it doesn’t mean it takes ages to learn how to play.

Archived