Video Games: It's On Like Donkey Kong

Inigima

2 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

@Tywin et al.

Buy that game for free. It'll take you two years of occasional 30 minute trials before you figure out how to play, but once you do...

Hold on, Hitler is making surreptitious looks in the direction of Hungary. It must be made clear that foreign intervention in Hungarian affairs is best left to the glorious Kingdom of Romania .

Yeah, I've repeatedly tried to get into CKII with short plays, and haven't been able to. 

And appreciate trying to keep Hitler out of Romania's affairs. :P

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

Yeah, I've repeatedly tried to get into CKII with short plays, and haven't been able to. 

And appreciate trying to keep Hitler out of Romania's affairs. :P

I generally found CK2 to be the most accessable of all Paradox Grand Strategy games. I failed multiple times badly to get into HoI, was bored out of my mind by Sengoku (since it's essentially a bare bones Crusader Kings) and needed a few attempts to get into Victoria 2 before stopping being atrocious. Crusader Kings 2, due to the role-play aspect, just felt right from the very first minute. I just advise playing some really small count first. It's fun to climb up the social ladder over several generations, and because your options are so limited there aren't that many screw-ups on your part that could wreck your game. You will just have to curse your stupid ass liege lord and his nonsensical wars.

Advice for CKII beginners: start as an independent count or duke in Ireland in your first try. You're on a relatively small island and not affected much by things going on in the rest of the world, which should make it easier to get the hang of gameplay basics.

CK2 is lots of fun if you roleplay your character and unless the RNG gods hate you its not very difficult to survive. Don't forget to breed! 

If you prefer to paint the map and want to keep your realm together it is very difficult to master though.

However I suspect it is much less fun without at least some of the DLCs. 

Oh my god. I just looked it up, thinking that this one of Steam's usual "play it this weekend, but you have to buy it afterwards" trials. But no, they are actually giving copies of it away for free!

Everyone get it! Go for it! You won't regret it!

Worth noting it's just the bare bones original game, it's got none of the DLC. I believe you need the first 2 DLC to make the Game of Thrones mod work, for example. However, they've also got the DLC on offer so it's still dirt cheap.

Hope this means I get to play Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight again.

Legitimately a fantastic game, and also mind-bogglingly hard.

44 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Worth noting it's just the bare bones original game, it's got none of the DLC. I believe you need the first 2 DLC to make the Game of Thrones mod work, for example. However, they've also got the DLC on offer so it's still dirt cheap.

Huh? Why? I played the mod at first without any DLC's. As long as you stay in Westeros it works just fine, the DLC's are only needed when you start to gobble up the republics and horselords in Essos. Heck, even the Iron Islands are still playable, without Old Gods the reaving options are just limited.

1 hour ago, Toth said:

Huh? Why? I played the mod at first without any DLC's. As long as you stay in Westeros it works just fine, the DLC's are only needed when you start to gobble up the republics and horselords in Essos. Heck, even the Iron Islands are still playable, without Old Gods the reaving options are just limited.

Ah, that makes sense. What I read was that you need the DLC to make the mod work fully, which tracks with that.

The fantastic This War of Mine is completely free on Steam this weekend. Well worth a look.

Excellent discussion of the 4X genre and where it can go in the future, from one of the lead devs on Civ IV.

Phoenix Point is making $100,000 a month despite not being due to come out for another ~6 months.

On 4/3/2018 at 9:37 AM, Wolfgang I said:

Zelda - Breath of the Wild has ruined open world RPGs for me... 

So, I generally never liked open world RPGs. However, I got a massive kick out of Witcher 3, and even did a decent amount of the side content (for me anyway). Then, last year I loved Zelda BotW. That got me thinking: maybe I'm an open world RPG person now. So, I got the new version of Skyrim on Switch... and I dunno, I just think it's boring AF. Perhaps it just shows its age a bit since it's old now. It's just the one-two whammy of my lack of interest in the story and combat. It's too bad since I like the visuals and I can tell there is a ton of world building in there.

Anyway... I'm mostly playing Rise of the Tomb Raider on PS4. I'm also playing GT Riptide Renegade on Switch. Riptide was on sale recently, and by golly it's the best 5 bucks I've ever spent. It's the first time I've played a game like this since Wave Race 64.

Elder Scrolls was something great once, but I think it's failed to really evolve in any fantastic ways since...Morrowind? I remember when I first got Morrowind, and I had no idea what it was. When I realized after I walked out of that first building that the whole world was open to me, my mind was encompassed by the game. I don't think any of the other games in the series (since) have captured the atmosphere of Morrowind. Just walking along a mountain path and hearing those little things (scribs?) thumping along was really cool. I loved the dark elves voices too.

I think now, fifteen plus years later, Elder Scrolls just kind of kept doing the same thing, but prettier and more limited. They kept cutting out the interest of promise of an open world, where the Witcher 3 brought that back.

So, I think Skyrim isn't only dated, the series has been dated for a long time.

5 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Elder Scrolls was something great once, but I think it's failed to really evolve in any fantastic ways since...Morrowind? I remember when I first got Morrowind, and I had no idea what it was. When I realized after I walked out of that first building that the whole world was open to me, my mind was encompassed by the game. I don't think any of the other games in the series (since) have captured the atmosphere of Morrowind. Just walking along a mountain path and hearing those little things (scribs?) thumping along was really cool. I loved the dark elves voices too.

I think now, fifteen plus years later, Elder Scrolls just kind of kept doing the same thing, but prettier and more limited. They kept cutting out the interest of promise of an open world, where the Witcher 3 brought that back.

So, I think Skyrim isn't only dated, the series has been dated for a long time.

Agreed. And Morrowind was a better game than Skyrim hands down. They're also still using basically the same engine (it's been renamed and given an overhaul a few years back) from fucking Morrowind.

2 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Agreed. And Morrowind was a better game than Skyrim hands down. They're also still using basically the same engine (it's been renamed and given an overhaul a few years back) from fucking Morrowind.

It's weird what Morrowind was able to accomplish, but then how they haven't done much different since then. I remember "radiant AI" being hyped in Oblivion, but what really happened? Less interaction with people, it seemed. Gothic 2 which came out before Oblivion had more interesting NPC schedules that made their world feel life like. I wonder if certain creative talent left the studio after Morrowind.

35 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Morrowind has shit combat. Oblivion wasn't much better. Skyrim improved on that, at least.

True. The combat system had a kind of strange implementation of DnD rules and a lot of missing and strangeness, did't it? And it had Cliff Racers, though at least you could mod those out.

Skyrim isn't a bad game--I thought it was a huge improvement over Oblivion. I just wanted...more, I suppose. When Oblivion came out, my imagination was going wild with how amazing it would be with all the improvements they'd make. I think my expectations were too high.

I've got Skyrim for PS4 VR, really need to play it more.

just finished Assassins Creed Syndicate, currently playing the Jack the Ripper dlc.  My joint favourite with Black Flag, I think, but then I like both settings.  Will start Origins soon, last of my big Assassins Creed playthrough.  I see Rogue remastered has just bren released, meaning the original AC and AC3 are the only ones not on ps4.

finished Arkham Asylum remastered, will start Arkham Coty remastered soon.

I need to get back into elite Dangerous, still 299 jumps from Colonia.

will get Conan Exiles when it comes out on pa4 next month, an open world (with climbing) survival game.

2 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Skyrim isn't a bad game--I thought it was a huge improvement over Oblivion. I just wanted...more, I suppose. When Oblivion came out, my imagination was going wild with how amazing it would be with all the improvements they'd make. I think my expectations were too high.

Yup. I'd say the order was Morrowind > Skyrim > Oblivion. I count Daggerfall and Arena as out of the question as they are too archaic and different to the later games.

(for their other series it's more like Fallout: New Vegas > Fallout > Fallout 2 > Fallout 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fallout 4)

Oblivion was a much smoother combat experience, which was very exciting at the time. But compared to MW the game felt smaller and more limited even though the explorable land mass was actually larger. The Oblivion Gate dynamic also bored me to death. Felt like a lazy substitute for actual creative plotting. Oh, and the "fully voiced" game contained about 20 voice actors, which for me was unintentionally comic. 

Overall, Skyrim was a much better game and one I spent a great deal more time messing around in (and still do to this day). But Morrowind had much more depth to its story than the other two, plus a feeling of raw exploration and natural progression that hasn't been topped yet by any subsequent Bethesda game IMO. 

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Yup. I'd say the order was Morrowind > Skyrim > Oblivion. I count Daggerfall and Arena as out of the question as they are too archaic and different to the later games.

(for their other series it's more like Fallout: New Vegas > Fallout > Fallout 2 > Fallout 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fallout 4)

Between Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I'd say New Vegas has the better gameplay. While Fallout 3 had the better story. 

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

I just bought the older fallouts (1 and 2), and I think I'll try them this summer. As is, I agree with your order in terms of the newer ones. 

I tried Daggerfall within the last few years. I want to love it, but you're right there as well, pretty archaic. Impressive what they were doing back then.

Archived