Long wait over

IronBars

So a book store listed winds of winter for release on its 2018 books to read list, with the date september 6th, shortly afterward the date was replaced with the word hopefully, but not before was seen, didnt see anyone mention it here so said i would and see if anyone has anything info 

I saw this on Youtube last night.   In that we've heard nothing from publishers or THE MAN himself, it's nothing.   Probably just a promotional thing to encourage sales for the book store.  GRRM has said many times that he will let us know when TWOW is done.  Winter is still here and we are still waiting.  Follow notablog instead of the myriad internet gossip sites.   Enjoy the wait talking with the many book lovers waiting here with you.  

3 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I saw this on Youtube last night.   In that we've heard nothing from publishers or THE MAN himself, it's nothing.   Probably just a promotional thing to encourage sales for the book store.  GRRM has said many times that he will let us know when TWOW is done.  Winter is still here and we are still waiting.  Follow notablog instead of the myriad internet gossip sites.   Enjoy the wait talking with the many book lovers waiting here with you.  

Yes to everything here.

For those of you who have not seen the video yet, here it is...

And here is NotaBlog for those who have not seen it yet...

http://grrm.livejournal.com/

29 minutes ago, IronBars said:

So a book store listed winds of winter for release on its 2018 books to read list, with the date september 6th, shortly afterward the date was replaced with the word hopefully, but not before was seen, didnt see anyone mention it here so said i would and see if anyone has anything info 

What a clickbait! (And you don't even get paid for them clicks... Shame! Shame!)

That means completely nothing. Even Amazon.com did it once or twice (with ADWD, at least), and back then it meant nothing, too.

1 hour ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

What a clickbait! (And you don't even get paid for them clicks... Shame! Shame!)

That means completely nothing. Even Amazon.com did it once or twice (with ADWD, at least), and back then it meant nothing, too.

Sorry didnt mean for it to be clickbait, should of put a question mark at the end,

1 hour ago, Curled Finger said:

Yes best to wait until grrm says something but hes updates are very infrequent, its a shame hes not like sanderson in that sense,

Is this bookstore a big deal? Or does it have good relations with grrm's publisher? Or are there any other interviews or rumors about it coming out this year?

Anyway it sounds incredibly strange that a bookstore would know the release date of the book before grrm would publish in his blog that he finished the book. Can it be a expected date or what ever publishers used to do for unpublished books?

5 minutes ago, IronBars said:

Yes best to wait until grrm says something but hes updates are very infrequent, its a shame hes not like sanderson in that sense,

Sanderson publishes books much faster than grrm. It is normal that he has more to talk about with the fans.

21 minutes ago, IronBars said:

Sorry didnt mean for it to be clickbait, should of put a question mark at the end,

True but look at us raving mad dogs hanging around in a forum talking about the books we already have.  I read recently that GRRM disappointed people many times during the writing of ADWD with his projections.   Now he prefers not to disappoint, hence the infrequent info.  If nothing else we have each other. 

2 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Amazon quite frequently put in placeholder release dates and change them down the road actually. This is not at all the post of someone bitter about being duped by this in the past with other books... :P 

35 minutes ago, divica said:

Is this bookstore a big deal? Or does it have good relations with grrm's publisher? Or are there any other interviews or rumors about it coming out this year?

Anyway it sounds incredibly strange that a bookstore would know the release date of the book before grrm would publish in his blog that he finished the book. Can it be a expected date or what ever publishers used to do for unpublished books?

The only real source for any rumour that we would have Winds this year comes from last July (though GRRM explicitly says he doesn’t know if it will be done before Fire and Blood volume 1):

Speaking of fake history... regulars here may recall our plan to assemble an entire book of my fake histories of the Targaryen kings, a volume we called (in jest) the GRRMarillion or (more seriously) FIRE AND BLOOD. We have so much material that it's been decided to publish the book in two volumes. The first of those will cover the history of Westeros from Aegon's Conquest up to and through the regency of the boy king Aegon III (the Dragonbane). That one is largely written, and will include (for the first time) a complete detailed history of the Targaryen civil war, the Dance of the Dragons. My stories in DANGEROUS WOMEN ("The Princess and the Queen") and ROGUES ("The Rogue Prince") were abridged versions of the same histories.

No publication date has been set yet, but it's likely that we will get the first volume of FIRE AND BLOOD out in late 2018 or early 2019. The second volume, which will carry the history from Aegon III up to Robert's Rebellion, is largely unwritten, so that one will be a few more years in coming.

And, yes, I know you all want to know about THE WINDS OF WINTER too. I've seen some truly weird reports about WOW on the internet of late, by 'journalists' who make their stories up out of whole cloth. I don't know which story is more absurd, the one that says the book is finished and I've been sitting on it for some nefarious reason, or the one that says I have no pages. Both 'reports' are equally false and equally moronic. I am still working on it, I am still months away (how many? good question), I still have good days and bad days, and that's all I care to say. Whether WINDS or the first volume of FIRE AND BLOOD will be the first to hit the bookstores is hard to say at this juncture, but I do think you will have a Westeros book from me in 2018... and who knows, maybe two. A boy can dream...

Meanwhile, you'll have Gardner's anthology to fill the time. Keep your swords sharp!

1 minute ago, divica said:

I am not american so I have no idea... But that is good to hear. Did they also write something about winds in 2016 or 2017?

It doesn’t matter if they did. The announcement will come first from notablog and/or GRRM’s publishers. Given the pressure on him to put something out, he isn’t going to sit on the news and wait for other outlets to report it

54 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

It doesn’t matter if they did. The announcement will come first from notablog and/or GRRM’s publishers. Given the pressure on him to put something out, he isn’t going to sit on the news and wait for other outlets to report it

I agree.

However it isn t strange that the people in the bookstore might have access to the predicted launching date that grrm publisher has at the moment. But that might not be acurate... I was interested if they have good connections in the business or not.

3 hours ago, divica said:

I agree.

However it isn t strange that the people in the bookstore might have access to the predicted launching date that grrm publisher has at the moment. But that might not be acurate... I was interested if they have good connections in the business or not.

It is possible that the bookstore was approached by the publisher for sales estimate. September 6, 2018 is a Thursday which is a typical release date (the day that retailers receive the book not the day its available to the public). So maybe GRRM is close to finishing the book and his publisher is trying to cut the logistics side now.
Approaching bookstores and retailers is an integral part of the publishing industry. Publishers use this step to know how many copies to print and the required ad campaign.

Its also possible that the date is an error from the bookstore. I'm hoping its not.

The thing is, there's no comment from GRRM on this supposed leak. I know I've posted a comment asking him about it, and he deleted it. I'm sure many others have asked the same question. Maybe he's close to finishing the book.

Far be it for me to question "a book store" but that really doesn't seem legit without any more than that. If there was a set date, that means the book would be done, we'd likely have seen a prerelease version somewhere and leaks would be hemorrhaging everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Far be it for me to question "a book store" but that really doesn't seem legit without any more than that. If there was a set date, that means the book would be done, we'd likely have seen a prerelease version somewhere and leaks would be hemorrhaging everywhere.

There are leaks about books? like the people that work at the publisher firm take photos of the text and put it in the net? 

Just now, divica said:

There are leaks about books? like the people that work at the publisher firm take photos of the text and put it in the net? 

Maybe, but that's not what I'm talking about. Sounds like something that would cost you a job. Ever wonder how there are already reviews for books on their publish date? That's because publishers and authors often distribute some pre-release versions of the books to journalists, bloggers, reviewers, etc. They're usually made of the cheapest materials possible and sometimes the contents will change a bit, but it's a way to get the word out. Martin may not do this, as he certainly doesn't need to "get the word out" but with the smaller authors especially, it's sometimes as easy as emailing them if they interact with their fan base. Either way, once those start floating around, sometimes even going up for sale once they're read, still before the publish date, the spoilers commence.

Archived