The Sun Explodes And You Have Eight and Half Minutes Left .

GAROVORKIN

The Eight and half minutes is the time it takes for light to reach the earth , in this case that's how long it  would take for the shockwave to reach and obliterate the Earth.  In this scenario you have become instantly that the event has happened. What would do in with those last eight and half minutes minutes? Would could you do with so brief a time remaining? 

15 minutes ago, baxus said:

Shockwave through eight and a half light minutes distance worth of vacuum? Not likely. ;)

And what do you base your assumption of such a shockwave moving at light speed?

For the sake of argument I had use something so I used  shockwaves and use I know th scientific inaccuracy of that   Yes I know  our Yellow Dwarf  Sun is not a  candidate for Nova.   Star the go boom usually have far greater masses like Blue giant stars and Blue hyper giants which burn through their fuel in about few million years and go up in a nova.

This topic is what if topic.

33 minutes ago, aceluby said:

How did I become 'instantly aware' of this event?  Is the Sun sending out instant telepathic messages that it has exploded?

I'd assume an emergency broadcast from aliens with FTL communication, who include an apology for not being able to do anything to save us?

24 hours before doom might be more interesting, we could see whether people would go on one last bender, work to mend fences with estranged family/friends, or whatever else.

8 minutes is not time to do much of anything.  I'd probably give the cats a bunch of treats and catnip, say a couple of prayers, start drinking, possibly call family for goodbye...

13 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

24 hours before doom might be more interesting, we could see whether people would go on one last bender, work to mend fences with estranged family/friends, or whatever else.

8 minutes is not time to do much of anything.  I'd probably give the cats a bunch of treats and catnip, say a couple of prayers, start drinking, possibly call family for goodbye...

If everyone knows cell phones will be nearly useless as everyone tries to call everyone.

24 Hours would be fascinating. Do I attempt to travel to a place of peace and introspection? Attempt to reach my family half a continent away for a last hug? Go on a wild bacchanalia? Curl up on the couch crying, binge watching Seinfeld?

Any travel would be bananas, assuming everyone knew - I'm deep in New York City, with no vehicle, and I'd assume that mass transit would completely collapse (ain't no MTA subway engineer gonna keep that train moving instead of finding family), so I'd have to run, steal a bike or car, and hope to get past millions of other people trying to get somewhere else as well. Maybe that one spot in Central Park I love would finally be quiet and tourist-free, and I could have a lovely picnic while the world collapses into oblivion.

8 minutes from this very moment? I suppose I'd spend about 7 minutes messaging the couple closest people to me, then go sit up on the roof and look up.

Edit: I think this is a pretty fascinating existential question if you assume 24 hours, and that you are the only one who knows, and that some caveat that you're a modern Cassandra, and no one would believe your doomsday prophecy. That'd leave flexibility for me to theoretically get anywhere in my country with time to do end-of-the-world stuff.

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

How did I become 'instantly aware' of this event?  Is the Sun sending out instant telepathic messages that it has exploded?

"Spooky action at a distance".

Actually for purposes of the experiment it would be better if we learned of the event visually 8 minutes after it happened, and then we knew we had 24 hours (say) until when the shockwave would hit the earth. Sort of combining everyone's thoughts in this thread.

As we know from the Star Wars special editions and Star Trek VI, massive explosions in space only propagate in two dimensions. We'd have to be very unlucky for the Earth's orbit to intersect the plane of detonation.

35 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

24 Hours would be fascinating. Do I attempt to travel to a place of peace and introspection? Attempt to reach my family half a continent away for a last hug? Go on a wild bacchanalia? Curl up on the couch crying, binge watching Seinfeld?

Any travel would be bananas, assuming everyone knew - I'm deep in New York City, with no vehicle, and I'd assume that mass transit would completely collapse (ain't no MTA subway engineer gonna keep that train moving instead of finding family), so I'd have to run, steal a bike or car, and hope to get past millions of other people trying to get somewhere else as well. Maybe that one spot in Central Park I love would finally be quiet and tourist-free, and I could have a lovely picnic while the world collapses into oblivion.

8 minutes from this very moment? I suppose I'd spend about 7 minutes messaging the couple closest people to me, then go sit up on the roof and look up.

Edit: I think this is a pretty fascinating existential question if you assume 24 hours, and that you are the only one who knows, and that some caveat that you're a modern Cassandra, and no one would believe your doomsday prophecy. That'd leave flexibility for me to theoretically get anywhere in my country with time to do end-of-the-world stuff.

Now that I think about it ,  Your right , 24 Hours would have been a notion here.  :unsure:

59 minutes ago, felice said:

I'd assume an emergency broadcast from aliens with FTL communication, who include an apology for not being able to do anything to save us?

Years ago I remember reading an old science fiction story I which Aliens sent a telephonic message  to earth to warn  the sun was going to explode in a few days, Unfortunately the only able to pick them up was  drunkn man who in the end d beloved them to be nothing more then a figment  of his drunken imagination.

With 24 hours:

• First, rush to buy food and drink.  Ain't nobody manning the shops/working for the last day on earth.  But I want snacks!
  • Go to my flat. 
  • Try calling some family/friends, but no real expectation of getting through. 
  • Make sure the kindle is fully charged, and charge backups. Sit in with a good book and lots and lots of snacks.  
  • I'd think about going out, but assuming power is/will go out, I'm not walking 22 floors.  And I assume with nobody working, including police and bar staff, its going to be a bit of a nightmare out there.  

The lesson of the thread is to always stack up on snacks and alcohol? Seems reasonable.

This is yet another of those times when the kids hold you back, can't very well go out Mad Maxing the last 24 hours if the kids are at home waiting to be fed, can I?

Archived