football: transfer madness!

MercenaryChef

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

He'd have even more goals if we had someone who was capable of seeing all those great runs he makes and actually look to pass to him.

And he'd have even more assists if our other players were better finishers, especially as the season's gone on.
It's a weird thing that although he's been on a run of worse form recently he's pretty clearly become a better striker. One thing I do have to give credit to Jose for.

Seems Lucas Moura's been at Spurs with view to a potential move there. That's a relief.

Twitter seems to think VAR is the death of soccer or some shit. I thought it worked fine in that half. Every decision ended up being the correct one. It might’ve halted the flow of the game a bit but that should get better with time. 

Not sure what Matip was doing on that third goal. Yikes

Worked pretty well today - all the decisions overturned were the right ones and clear and obvious errors. Of course there are going to be teething problems, but from what I've seen VAR has not been misused in the FA Cup like it has in the Confed Cup and Bundesliga. Biggest issue to be resolved is communication to the crowd. Would be ideal if the referee could announce what has changed and why on review like they do in the NFL.

Considering we were knocked out of League Cup by Bristol City, I will not mock Liverpool.

Let the banter aside, this result confirm my feeling that Klopp will throw the greater part of his team's forces into Champions League. (it's the only trophy they can hope for, isn't it ?)

Earlier this season, I was actually already having the feeling that Klopp was lining up better XI in CL than in PL. Which makes sense, given the UCL group they had. But not a lot of sense, considering that Pool had not win a PL for nearly 30 years, and that CL is kinda, heh, hardcore.

But still, I would like to have a few Liverpool fans opinion on that. If Klopp is playing CL above PL, is he right ?

Dont think we had the squad for winning the league this year and klopp knew it especially with the Coutinho situation so yeah I think he was maybe looking more at the champions league than he was at premier league this year. Although I do think he would have been looking for a real run at the fa cup and be very dissapointed to be out this early.

I couldn’t watch the game but it’s not as if Klopp picked a weak team.  He was hardly dismissive of the FA Cup.  He brought in more attacking FBs (Gomez was criticized as pointless against a defensive Swansea) and rotated the keeper (I cannot fathom why).  But otherwise it was a full strength team because Lallana was unavailable with a minor injury.  

Bottom line is that the team had a second consecutive stinker and the changed defense managed to conceded three goals to WBA who’ve struggle for goals all season.  In context, it’s not as bad a result as Spurs draw against a much weaker team, but we’re out of the Cup and our great run of 18 unbeaten has run into a brick wall of our own making.  But for a missed penalty, we’d have a replay but we wouldn’t have deserved it.

Although Hendo is very limited, perhaps it’s good to have him back now to take Gini out of the side for a while.  Although very good against City, Gini has been abysmal or at best anonymous for most of the season.  Three of Can, Hendo, Ox and Lallana should give us more life in midfield.  And somehow we need to get Sane back in form.  Poor guy is like a lost soul since his injury. 

13 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

You lose a little time, but you gain a correct decision - I don't understand how someone can see that as a bad thing. 

They could maybe get a little better at using it, but it's early days. 

The TV pundit on Serbian TV went on and on about how football is "losing its soul" and similar stupidity. Kind of ironic that it came from a Serbian pundit, since they will be the first ones to blame referees when our national team in any sport gets a bad call.

11 hours ago, Sandokan I Ironborn said:

Let the banter aside, this result confirm my feeling that Klopp will throw the greater part of his team's forces into Champions League. (it's the only trophy they can hope for, isn't it ?)

Liverpool has no shot at Premier League title this season. Nor does any team other than City, for that matter.

Still, Liverpool's chances of winning the CL are only slightly better. Sure, they are a team that usually gets more motivated to play the big boys, but does anyone think that Liverpool's back four stand a chance against Barca, PSG, Bayern, or even Real Madrid at their current poor form?

No, I don't think Liverpool has a shot at silverware this season either, whether it's PL or CL.

6 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

And somehow we need to get Sane back in form.  Poor guy is like a lost soul since his injury. 

You are aware that Mane is playing for Liverpool and Sane is playing for City, right? :lol: 

No wonder Chelsea’s board are reluctant to spend big on a 31-soon-to-be-32 year old striker when we have a second choice striker that has 10 goals in all competitions already this season - which is only 2 fewer than Morata has scored, despite Batshuayi playing far fewer minutes.

21 minutes ago, Sandokan I Ironborn said:

How on earth was this Bernardo stunner disallowed ?

https://twitter.com/dylanwalsh_/status/957656245539876864

Is it really about Sané's hair blinding goalkeeper's sight ? oO

The whole game was pretty badly officiated. Mason is a pretty low quality ref but his assistant on that side had a shocker. Joe Bennett managed to take Leroy out of the game with a nasty one (could be out for a few weeks) and stayed on the pitch only to have a near-identical go at young Brahim Diaz, for which he got a second yellow. Some might be complaining about VAR but this game highlighted the need to help out incompetent officials.

3 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

No wonder Chelsea’s board are reluctant to spend big on a 31-soon-to-be-32 year old striker when we have a second choice striker that has 10 goals in all competitions already this season - which is only 2 fewer than Morata has scored, despite Batshuayi playing far fewer minutes.

I'm reluctant to shower praise on Bats. The first goal was all Pedro and any professional striker could score that goal (except maybe Morata right now ;)) in that position, and the second goal was an extraordinarily fortunate bounce. He tends to look good in the cup matches he plays in. I agree, he doesn't get the minutes he probably deserves in PL matches, I just feel like he does his best against weaker opponents; Qarabag, Norwich, Newcastle, etc.

Archived