football: transfer madness!

MercenaryChef

Solid win.  Our goals were at odds with our play: we scored two while not playing great but then missed plenty of chances while playing well.  Poor Mane needs to rediscover his form — it would be such a fillip if he was adding to the attack too.

Wonderful to see Rafa put one over on Mourinho. 

45 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I disagree actually, he obviously hasn’t done anything spectacular but Wijnaldum’s been the best of the midfield three. He’s been reasonably composed on the ball and Southampton haven’t done much down his side of the pitch (Robertson being the better defensive fullback and Mane tracking back more than Salah helps but still).

This. Amazing how some people are blind to Gini's impact. 

3 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Solid win.  Our goals were at odds with our play: we scored two while not playing great but then missed plenty of chances while playing well.  Poor Mane needs to rediscover his form — it would be such a fillip if he was adding to the attack too.

Wonderful to see Rafa put one over on Mourinho. 

Yeah, the game was almost a mirror image of the Spurs game, where we looked in complete control in the first half and just fell apart in the second half. Here, we looked awful apart from the goals in the first half, but failed to score in a second half where we were in complete control.

Rafa <3 

Interesting to see how toothless Arsenal were against Spurs after looking so lethal against Everton, but maybe that says more about Everton than anything. Will be interesting to see how Mhiki and Auba get on for the rest of the season. 

Glad to see Huddersfield get a win. Would love for them to stay up. 

11 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Honestly, no. I understand why you would mention those players, and Biscan and whoever too, but all of those players tried their best. Their best wasn't always very good, but at least they tried. Wijnadum has more ability than any of them but he shirks responsibility every chance he gets, and for me that's unforgivable.

That's fair, but not really exactly the same thing, is it? I dislike Juan Mata for similar reasons, but he's obviously not a worse player than Zaha was. Obviously Wijnaldum isn't as good as Mata either, but he doesn't usually actively damage your chances like some players do.

Anyway, surely he doesn't shirk more than Stewart Downing did? He remains the most cowardly player I can think of.

Even though Soylent Brown is exaggerating, there is something very frustrating about Wijnaldum.

I see this whenever I watch him in the Dutch national team as well, where he is a regular btw. Managers like him, he plays for Liverpool and makes the national team. He seems like he could be great, has skills. But there is something about him that makes him under perform, like he never goes full throttle. Either it's indeed scaredy cat syndrome or he just isn't as good as he is deemed to be.

I know in critical games for Holland he is always " ok" and that seems to sum him up. Not a difference maker.

I'm not wasting too much words on United. Just like the rest of mankind, I think Mourinho should go ( and of course should never have been appointed as everyone screamed at the top of their lungs back then).

Archived